Home
A friend showed me this knife, and it seems like it would be fine as an inexpensive fixed-blade EDC sort of knife. It is a USA-made Kershaw with G-10 scales and a blade of Sandvik 14C28NA for $33 plus shipping. It appears to be a pretty good deal, but I am not familiar with this steel.

Does Sandvik 14C28NA make for a decent blade (i.e. will it take and hold an edge) at this price point?

Thank you.

Here is a link:

Kershaw Skinning Knife

I don't think much of it. Should do good enough for a $33 dollar knife though.

http://bestpocketknifetoday.com/discovering-the-best-knife-steel/
Not a bad knife and decent enough steel. They make a field knife that would complement it well. They are like a matching pair. Same finish, steel, and scales. Buy the field knife for $40 and you will have about as good of a set of cheap, practical, functioning knives as you can get for the price....
Sandvik 14c is similar to S30v but not...

I think you'll find it to take a razor like edge fairly easily but dull quicker than S30v. It sharpens easier than S30v.

For an EDC and $30, it's probably one you'll really like, will be noticeably better than the previous Kershaw steel 12c.

I like CPM 154 better but it's not a deal breaker.
Thank you, all. I carry a Benchmade Mini-Grip (154cm) daily, as I prefer a folder in my pocket. A friend showed me this Kershaw, and it felt pretty good in the hand. The G-10 scales have a feel similar to fine checkering on a pistol grip, resulting in pretty good purchase on the handle. I guess I was most impressed by the fact that it was a USA-made knife for around $30.

I don't know exactly what I would use it for (I have other knives). I was just having one of those "this is too good to pass up" moments and figured I better get the skinny on it from people here who are more in-the-know about knives.
Field knife......

[Linked Image]r
© 24hourcampfire