Home
Would like to have the knowledgeable input of the board to help me ...Proper sharpening angle for an old (50's-60's) 5" SS.???
Old family blade, want to put it to some use......Any finishing tips?

thanks for your input.
20 degrees should do you fine. 22 degrees max.
Just be careful and don't scratch it up sharpening it, as many rookies often do.

Maybe post some pics of it.....
What are you using for sharpening equipment?????
How well can you hold an angle?????
I think I would opt for near 24 degrees myself.
Finish off with an impregnated leather strop.
Tim
I am guessing original factory angle to probably be 20 degrees. But as Tim stated, you can go more if you wish.....
I like around 20 degrees for kitchen knives and possibly fillets, but around 24 degrees for field use.
Just my personal preference.
I have been using 22 most of the time on fixed blades. Less on kitchen and pocket knives, generally. Not sure how I settled on 22 degrees, it was so long ago. But I have an old wedge of wood I cut to stone height and would use as an angle guide with my stone. I use several different methods now, but that is how I started out.....
knife like that I would do at least 22 degrees, more likely 24. The blade thickness would probably determine that for me.
Originally Posted by mel5141
Would like to have the knowledgeable input of the board to help me ...Proper sharpening angle for an old (50's-60's) 5" SS.???
Old family blade, want to put it to some use......Any finishing tips?

thanks for your input.

Those older Case SS knives are roughly 420HC. The best you can do for that blade is buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Primary to 30° (15° each side), then secondary to 40° (20° each side)...you will be amazed!!
© 24hourcampfire