Home
Posted By: kelbro Randall knives - 12/07/16
Been away from the knife forums for a while. Thinking of selling my unused stag handled Randall Trout and Bird (#8 I think?).

What's the market on these now? Is there still a tremendous wait? Seems like it was over a year when I bought this one over ten years ago. Is eBay the best avenue?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Randall knives - 12/07/16
I believe Randall is asking $370 for one, and the usual wait. AG Russell says little or no wait, $495.
Posted By: kelbro Re: Randall knives - 12/08/16
Thanks
Posted By: Mink Re: Randall knives - 12/16/16
5 year wait as of now.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Randall knives - 12/16/16
Lots of good folks consigning Randall's...Plaza Cutlery, Captain Chris Stanaback, Arizona Custom Knives...and ETC...
Posted By: stantdm Re: Randall knives - 12/16/16
I just sold a Model 5 6" Camp and Trail for $485.00. It should be worth about the same as the one you have.
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Randall knives - 12/17/16
Are they worth the $$?
Posted By: Mink Re: Randall knives - 12/17/16
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Are they worth the $$?

It was worth it for me to own one. Ordered in the beginning of 2011 and did the 5 year wait. Came out beautifully. There are many great makers out there, several of which are here on 24HCF. But Randalls are iconic in my opinion, only after owning one can you say whether they are worth it to you or not. As always YMMV.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Randall knives - 12/17/16
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Are they worth the $$?

Randalls are generally well made, with good components, and good leather with them.

You're getting a knife that can be used, and passed on to the next generation. That said, they are expensive for what they are.

Some of the designs are pretty dated, IMHO, and a number of the knives are really oversized for actual use and carry. Retail prices are well-over what the materials cost, and there's other makers that can offer the same quality for less. A Randall is iconic to some, and that will continue to keep the market prices higher than reality. The wait is a plus for them, very few people will order that for out for anything. So, instant gratification equals higher prices.

I have a Model 5 that is a user, carried every hunting season, and has taken care of two elk and several deer. It's a 6-inch blade, leather handle with finger grooves, and a waxed sheath. The edge holds well. But it's a softer steel that sharpens fairly easily. I've dinged the edge bad on a rock, Randall re-ground the blade for me and fixed it right.

I think it's a good knife but I wouldn't have paid full retail, or waited five years for it. From what I know, the dealer wait is closer to 6-9 months. If you order through one of the Randall retailers, you'll see the knife within a year. If you order as an individual, you'll get the full wait.

I know my Randall knives will out last me, and that makes the investment more tolerable. YMMV

Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Randall knives - 12/17/16
You are paying for the name. If it's worth it to you, it is a quality knife. It's just not better than something I can either make or buy for a lot less.
Posted By: tansinator Re: Randall knives - 12/17/16
Paid $185 for my most recent one. Guess I will be keeping it.

Eddie
Posted By: Mink Re: Randall knives - 12/17/16
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
You are paying for the name. If it's worth it to you, it is a quality knife. It's just not better than something I can either make or buy for a lot less.

Exactly, I own many many customs, but only the one Randall.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Randall knives - 12/17/16
So how does a "name" become desirable?
Posted By: Mink Re: Randall knives - 12/19/16
Performance (at the time), history of being carried through numerous conflicts, etc etc etc...

Many more quality makers than there were when Randall earned their rep...IMO. Much like Ruana...not taking anything away from them either.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Randall knives - 12/19/16
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I have a few and I am pretty sure I paid for the knives, at least that is what I use to cut things.

I have noted that those who make knives are generally the most dismissive of Randall knives...even when being outsold.

But have it your way if it makes you feel better.

ps, I am not at this time interested in purchasing any more Randall knives as I have enough to suit my needs, and am having a whale of a time using a Behring.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Randall knives - 12/19/16

...oh, my teenage daughter has absconded with my 60's era 3-6, for she apparently feels it will stick pigs better than her model 26.

I have hidden the other ones.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Randall knives - 12/26/16
i've had a couple, and they're
well built and top quality.
i sold them a while back because
of the crime around this area. i
figured i'd as soon have the money
as for some dope head to pawn them
for twenty bucks.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Randall knives - 12/28/16
Originally Posted by tansinator
Paid $185 for my most recent one. Guess I will be keeping it.

Eddie

that is what I paid for this Model 11, back about 20 years ago. It has processed a lot of hogs and deer in that time. I have never found it lacking.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Randall knives - 12/28/16
I am tentatively planning on building one of their patterns for myself next year. I own one (25 or 26??) and have somewhat followed it in pattern.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I will make a mid sized similar one for myself.
They are cool looking and have served their country well in foreign war zones. Originally inspired by Scagel while on a fishing trip to Michigan and many patterns are similar.
Gotta love a well designed and well built knife.
jmho
Tim
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Randall knives - 12/28/16
Tim, I'll take one like the center knife. I'd want a different handle though.
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: Randall knives - 12/28/16
I'm in! I too like the middle one, and the right one in the pic above
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Randall knives - 12/28/16
Originally Posted by Mink
Performance (at the time), history of being carried through numerous conflicts, etc etc etc...

Many more quality makers than there were when Randall earned their rep...IMO. Much like Ruana...not taking anything away from them either.

Well thought out reply. I am SO damn lucky to have been born to a serious hunting family. I was in Africa 5 times in the late 60's through the 70's, as well as hunting multiple states each year besides my native Idaho.

I can tall ya, Randall knives were almost mystic at that time...and my 2 uncles carried the same to Viet Nam.

I was gifted an original design Model 8 when I graduated High School, and some no-good slimebag piece of s4!t that I'd gladly gut today stole from my truck when I was at college in Auburn, Alabama.

Since then I've rotated through 32 if my math is right, with the last I sold a matching pair of Model 25 and 26 in the classic 25 style, that made me some 41% over purchase price.

Then, one of my heroes, Guy Clark, passed this past spring, and in his honor I HAD to have another, so now have a wonderful 11-3 that I perfected on a myriad of critters this year, and that will accompany me on my Kyrgyzstan Marco Polo hunt next year.

© 24hourcampfire