Home
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff My best so far - 01/02/17
Made this for my wife for Christmas. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Started life as an old file, no idea how old or what steel it was but it got hard and took a mutherphucker of an edge. Handles are warthog ivory and micarta. Eventually I'm going to make her a whole matching kitchen set over the summer. But I need to order more handle material.

I had pounded out what I thought was going to be an awesome sheath knife for her, but it wouldn't harden. It was the cutting edge off an old snow plow. So I used it as a template, and then the file I'd selected ended up too thin for hard use, so I made the blade a little longer and figured it'd be a handy all around the kitchen knife. I've a thicker file I'm going to use to make her sheath knife as soon as it gets above 0 here. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: My best so far - 01/02/17

Looks Canadian Belt knife, very useful design.

Nice knife
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: My best so far - 01/02/17
Thanks
Posted By: SLM Re: My best so far - 01/02/17
Looking good BGG.

Everyone doing good?
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: My best so far - 01/03/17
looks good
Posted By: milespatton Re: My best so far - 01/03/17
No knife maker but if it was me, I would want it sharp all the way to the back of the blade. miles
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: My best so far - 01/03/17
Thanks guys. SLM, all is very well here! Fam is good, life is cold and full of snow lol.

milespatton, I'm no knife maker either, haha. Wasn't originally going to be a kitchen knife or I would have. Still can bring it back if I wanted, may in fact do that. For non kitchen uses I didn't want the edge all the way back.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: My best so far - 01/03/17
Looks great.. Hope you had a great fall and holiday season..
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: My best so far - 03/16/17
I'm in the process of making a set of kitchen knives for my wife, but cranked this one out for my mom first. I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm happier with each one. This was a farrier's rasp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: My best so far - 03/16/17
Well, it is clear you have tripped and fallen down that slippery slope of no return of knife making.
Congrats.
Tim
Posted By: GunGeezer Re: My best so far - 03/16/17
That one has a lot of character, she'll be proud to use it. (If not skip Mother's Day & send it my way... it's my birthday anyway. crazy)
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: My best so far - 03/17/17
Thanks GunGeezer. She had asked me to leave some of file marks, etc so I left it kinda rough.

Tim, yup im sliding and picking up speed! lol
© 24hourcampfire