Home
Appealing to the knife experts here on 24HCF. I want to buy a decent Kukri, but not one that will break the bank. I see them on websites for cheap, but want a decent one w/o having to second mortgage the house.

Any recommendations?
Cold Steel. Even their cheaper stuff is well made & sharp enough to shave.
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/
Dang, clicking that link cost me some time! Appears to be LOTS of quality knives at great prices - for the real deal.
Don't know if they still do but HI use to have a forum at bladeforums. You could pick up some deals on blemished or special discount items.If you watched the forum you could often pick up a nice Kukri for $30-$50 that had a little rust or was otherwise discounted.Some were the same ones offered at 2-4 times as much on the site.

Here is another cool site.
http://www.valiantco.com/
Look at Windlass Steelcraft. They probably make more quality Kukris than anyone.
Originally Posted by swamphunter
Appealing to the knife experts here on 24HCF. I want to buy a decent Kukri, but not one that will break the bank. I see them on websites for cheap, but want a decent one w/o having to second mortgage the house.

Any recommendations?

Yes, lust after something else as they are ought but a long hand axe.

I have a Jungle Panawal and to be frank it is pretty much useless, reasonably well made but heavy, awkward, and sort of pointless.
A mate's lad wanted one and I let him play with it for a month, he brought it back once he got the idea out of his system.

I find an issue golok to be more useful breaking down killers and trimming small brush.

Here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ps...and if you are having visions of stealthily stalking through the underbrush on some far distant battlefield then get yourself a smatchet.
There are a couple of very good reproductions on ebay that won't break the bank.

[Linked Image]
Lot's of good advice here...thanks to all that contributed.
I have a bunch of "real" ones from Nepal. Wife brought them back with her. Cost there $10 each. Much better choice is the Cold Steel version. That being said, i do have a real Kukri in the back of the truck that cuts limbs, digs trenches, hammers things that you would not want to use a delicate knife for. It is hell for stout and easy to sharpen.
© 24hourcampfire