Home
Posted By: Lonny EDC for Gift? - 03/03/17
Every year I provide a knife to the kid who wins our scholarship. I get the winners name engraved on the blade because I figure long after the money is spent they will still hopefully have the knife.

Anyway, a few years ago I found a deal on the internet and bought a half dozen Kershaw Skyline knives. I'm out of those knives now and need some feedback on what would be a decent knife hopefully around the $40 range. It must be USA made.

Thanks for any suggestions on what would be a good USA made gift knife for EDC.
Posted By: Jedi_Swagger Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/03/17
Walmart has USA made Buck 110's for like $35 these days. Might be "old school" but still a solid knife for the money.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/03/17
For EDC I suggest the Buck 55. Great little knife. Buck 55 Folder $34 - Amazon

Posted By: Lonny Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/04/17
Thanks guys.

Anybody use a CRKT? Thoughts?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/04/17
How about a case trapper?

The cv yellow handle ones are reasonably priced.
Posted By: MOGC Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/04/17
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
How about a case trapper?

The cv yellow handle ones are reasonably priced.

Or a Sodbuster...
Posted By: Dude270 Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/05/17
crkt knives are not USA made.

Kershaw's Leek is a nice EDC folder that's usa made and in your price range
Posted By: Lonny Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/05/17
Originally Posted by Dude270
crkt knives are not USA made.

Kershaw's Leek is a nice EDC folder that's usa made and in your price range

Thanks for the info on the CRKT. I did some looking after reading your post and it does look like many of their knives are non-USA made. I'll scratch them off the list.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/05/17
My favorite EDC is a Kershaw Volt II. I don't think you can beat them for the money. They frequently are on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods for around $20.
However, the blade says China, and I think most of the other lower priced Kershaw knives are made in China.

My previous favorite was the CRKT M16 but when they became Chinese made the screws holding them together would work loose and they would fall apart.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/05/17
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger
Walmart has USA made Buck 110's for like $35 these days. Might be "old school" but still a solid knife for the money.

Good call....every body should own a 110 at some point in their life.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/05/17
Victorinox farmer. Great edc and it has a area made for engraving on the scales.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/05/17
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I agree, but that point was about 30 years ago. I just don't see anybody wearing a lock back folder in a belt holster nowadays.

YMMV
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/05/17
Originally Posted by NVhntr

I agree, but that point was about 30 years ago. I just don't see anybody wearing a lock back folder in a belt holster nowadays.

YMMV

Yea....a chinaland POS like you recommended even though the OP clearly said "US made" would be a much better choice.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/06/17
Great Eastern Cutlery, queen and case all make usa made stuff close to your price point, if you want a traditional style pocket knife.

Kershaw and Gerber both offer usa made pocket clip one had ed opening knives in the price range as well.
Posted By: onie41 Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/06/17
If someone gave me a knife from Wally World I'd give it back. My opinion!
Posted By: 222Rem Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/08/17

Agreed. I've got several (and actually carry one), and enjoy using it ever single time. I love the heft, the solid lockup, and especially the way it fits my hands perfectly. Mine rides concealed right behind my spare magazine. Just because it's not visible, doesn't mean it's not used and loved. And as many 110s as Buck sells, I know I'm not alone...........even in today's uber-tacticool-modern world.

My 5yr old has a NIB one waiting until he's old enough to unlock it. I'm doing my part to make sure the next generation doesn't forget the wonderful 110.

Posted By: 222Rem Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/08/17
Originally Posted by onie41
If someone gave me a knife from Wally World I'd give it back. My opinion!

Well there you go.

MY philosophy has always been a more simple and grateful one.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/09/17
I love 110's (greatest knife ever!) and Case slip joints. I would be elated to receive either one as a gift and I already have several. But, I am 51 years old.

I assume this knife is going to be for a young person. I suggest going to Buck's website and looking at some of their newer designs with one handed opening, thumb studs, etc, that people are into these days. There are several that meet your price point and can be ordered online if you cannot find them locally. Just trying to think like a kid.

Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/09/17
EDC meaning everyday carry....the Buck 110 is a tad heavy for the task, especially in the pocket.

Your Kershaw Skyline example is excellent for carry, with a decent sized/shaped blade. The pocket clip could be better, but works fine. Flipper isn't assisted, but opens great with proper screw setting.

Kershaw seems have the most every-day carry-able configurations these days.....in both USA and China made.

My two favorite USA EDC's are the Kershaw Skyline and the Gerber 425 EZ-Out non-serrated.

Edit: OOPS, forgot to mention another favorite I carry....the Buck Vantage 340. Very affordable USA folder, light enough to carry, with pocket clip.

Plus, like the flipper blade.

Non-USA favorite......Victorinox Cadet.

EDC knives probably won't last a lifetime like the once/twice-a-year field dressing knives. Lost or eventually worn out.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/13/17
My favorite EDC pattern is a standard issue trapper. Mine was a GEC with elk antler scales, but thats out of your price range. Case will put it close though.

Of course, if I have a nice knife, I lose it. Yet I can carry this damn CRKT $7 clearance special knife I have in my pocket right now for years without misplacing it. Not a bad knife, but for sure foreign made.

I like the looks of that Buck 55 posted above. I also think a 110 is too big for EDC pocket carry.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/13/17
I bought a Buck 55 due to my love of the 110, but came away disappointed. For the money, I expected better fit 'n finish.

The Buck Vanguard is a modern design with a pocket clip, a usable blade shape, and an open handle that's easy to keep clean. Mine has an S30V blade and I'd recommend the knife to anyone.

That said, I'd still gift a 110 in a heartbeat. The recipient can choose when and how to carry it, but he'd own a proven classic.
Posted By: CCH Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/13/17
Buck or Kershaw are probably your best bets for U.S. made at that price point. I have a Buck Spitfire that was a gift from a student, and it is a nice knife for the money. The mini version below might be a good one for a kid. They are definitely something that could be engraved.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/mini-spitfire-knife/0726FAM01/
Posted By: Blackheart Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/13/17
The 500 series Buck lockbacks are nice knives and can be had for less than 40.00 with the exception of the "Duke" which is just over 40.00. I doubt you'll find anything better for the price.
Posted By: Lonny Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/13/17
Very good suggestions gentlemen. Thanks.

The Buck Mini-Spitfire looks kinda nice for a young guy.

222 Rem, did you happen to mean the Buck "Vantage"? All I'm seeing for the Vanguard you mentioned is fixed blade knives?
Originally Posted by Lonny
Very good suggestions gentlemen. Thanks.

The Buck Mini-Spitfire looks kinda nice for a guy feller.

222 Rem, did you happen to mean the Buck "Vantage"? All I'm seeing for the Vanguard you mentioned is fixed blade knives?

YES, the Vantage...........my bad. My five year old was happy to see me come home from work, and was climbing all over me while I tried type.
Posted By: Jedi_Swagger Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/13/17
Price Drop!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buck-Knives-Folding-Hunter-110-Lock-Back/2310513
Posted By: Lonny Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/13/17
Originally Posted by 222Rem

YES, the Vantage...........my bad. My five year old was happy to see me come home from work, and was climbing all over me while I tried type.

Best part of the day right there. Enjoy'em when their young, they grow up fast!

Thanks for the clarification
Right after that we did a three mile round-trip to the city park, with him peddling his JD colored big tire tricycle. smile

Posted By: MikeL2 Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/13/17
Ever considered one of the Leatherman multi tools? Something like the Rev (about $30) might work, and you can order with engraving.
Leatherman Rev
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: EDC for Gift? - 03/14/17
I would also check out knifeworks.com for some deals. Some of their case knives are in that range and they personalize too!

http://www.knifeworks.com/case80502orangesyntheticsodbusterjr.aspx#.WMfu4fnyvIU
© 24hourcampfire