Home
Posted By: Ella Bubba project - 03/07/17

I’m looking for ideas. How can Bubba, with a minimum of expense, time, and equipment put a useable handle on this? Got it free and thought it’d make a good campfire pancake flipper and kindling splitter. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Bubba project - 03/07/17
I might put the slabs of my choice on and then fill that bottom area in with acraglass epoxy colored black. You could fix a dam around it and pour in in ,one side at a time. You want the epoxy warm and thin to reduce bubbles and slowly pour it from one side so you won't have any voids.

It looks like that pommel is pinned on. I might do away with that all together. I would like to see what an original looked like and possibly remake it.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Bubba project - 03/07/17
not much is cheaper than winding a buncha paracord around it......
Posted By: Ella Re: Bubba project - 03/07/17
Got it soaking in pb-blaster. Sure would be easier w. that pommel off, but I gotta hunch them pins aren't moving.

Never liked the feel of a paracord handle, but it is about as easy as you can get.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Bubba project - 03/11/17
You might find a collector who can restore that old bolo bayonet and get enough to buy a NEW pancake flipper! I'd look into possible collector value before cutting on it, anyway.
Posted By: Ella Re: Bubba project - 03/12/17
Holy crap, the prices people are asking for these things. I wouldn't have payed 20 bucks. Thanks for the heads up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-US-BOLO-KNIFE-MODEL-1917-1918-PLUMB-PHILA-/112328475635

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-1917-Bolo-Knife-/322443248990

The pins wouldn't budge. I think I'll just mold some clay around it and pour some acraglas scales. Maybe w. wood embedded....
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Bubba project - 03/14/17
Originally Posted by Ella
Got it soaking in pb-blaster. Sure would be easier w. that pommel off, but I gotta hunch them pins aren't moving.

Never liked the feel of a paracord handle, but it is about as easy as you can get.

If PB doesn't work for you completely submerge it in diesel for a couple weeks. I've had better luck like that than spraying with PB every day for a week.
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Bubba project - 03/14/17
I think, if you look on some of the military themed web-sites, that you can find reproduction handle scales and scabbards that will do more to up it's value than jury-rigged acra-glas and still leave it usable.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bubba project - 03/14/17
Acetone/ATF, very good penetrating solution.
© 24hourcampfire