Home
Posted By: tankerjockey My 2020 season (story) - 11/16/20
I made my way to my stand with anticipation. It was drizzling rain and I could here distant thunder. I arrived well before daybreak and climbed up to my perch.
The rain picked up and lightning clashed. Thunder rolled and was getting very close overhead and I could hear secondary pops of thunder like never before.
The light show gradually subsided and then the rains came harder. My Bone Dry rain gear slowly failed and I was soaked. The wind was picking up and it was getting colder as dawn fought its way to daylight.
I slowly made the decision to head back to camp for some dry clothes and a swig of warm coffee.
Stay tuned!

I made it back to my stand around 0830. The cold bitter wind was chilling through my damp clothes and I was beginning to lose interest. I had only seen a couple of does when I came in the second time and with the howling wind, was starting to think the day was going to be a bust.
So, went back to camp and had lunch and a 😴 nap. Brother in law Jim stopped in to see how it was going and I was feeling kinda low.

But! I went back to that stand for the 3rd time around 2:30.
A little warmer but still very windy.
I sat in that stand about an hour and a half. Was already kinda planning out tomorrow’s hunt and hoping the weather was a little better.
Then! I just caught a glimpse of a buck as he bedded himself down next to a tree in some brush. I think he wasn’t liking the wind too much either. So for the next half hour or so I kept watching this buck. All I could see was his antlers when he turned his head periodically. He was only about 85 yards out!
And then, he got up!

I haven’t really hunted much since my trip to Africa in 2012. I guess it kinda spoiled me. I have not killed a Buck Deer in 10 years.
But this year was different. My wife inherited part of her dad’s farm and for the first time in many years, I was excited about deer hunting again. I was hunting on essentially our property for the first time ever.
Next year when we get our log home built, this guy will be hung on the wall.
One shot at about 90 yards. 338 Federal.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: kingston Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/16/20
Fantastic! Congratulations!
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/16/20
Wow you really earned that buck! My wife and I live in the country on 70 acres and think of venison as our food crop. 3 down and mostly processed so far will probably take 2 more this year. Being able to hunt on your own property is a blessing especially in 2020.... so many folks will not be able to hunt this year.
Posted By: jwall Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/16/20
That'll DO !! Great Buck man.

You proved what I said here in the last few days.

You can't kill em from your recliner !!

I wish I could remember which writer said,
"The best time to go deer hunting is WHEN YOU CAN !".. sounds like Wooters. ? ?

Jerry
Posted By: Scotty Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/16/20
Nice Buck, congratulations.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/16/20
Well done !
that's a really nice buck--Conglads
Thank you for the story. This is the time of year my wife and I begin a story of our own. This year there will not be one from us. THANK you for yours. There is no question that you earned him and a beauty he is. Congratulations.
Great story. Congrats !
Posted By: 19352012 Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/16/20
Congratulations on the nice deer and inheriting the property. How exciting that must be.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/16/20
Congratulations! That's a beauty!
Thanks for all the congrats and kudos. He may not be the biggest but he is pretty nice and he is so special to me for many reasons.
Dropped him off at the taxidermist for a European skull pedestal mount. He will have a spot in the new log home.
Les
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/17/20
He'll always be a special buck, and he is beautiful!
Posted By: hookeye Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/17/20
Look great on any wall, but even better in your cabin smile
Posted By: AFraser Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/17/20
Fantastic bases - must be a pretty mature buck!
Posted By: skeen Re: My 2020 season (story) - 11/18/20
Nice buck! I was in that rain storm too, and man did that suck. smile
Thanks, he is is pretty nice. I really have no idea on age. Not very good at figuring that out.
What do you think? Three and a half or so?
© 24hourcampfire