Home
Posted By: Bill in NE Wool fingerless gloves - 08/25/21
I had a few pairs of fingerless gloves made of wool.
Gray in color. Ragg wool I think they were called.
I think they may have been advertised as ice fishing gloves years ago.

I have been able to find similar to these, but they have incorporated flip over mittens.
They are ok, but I would really prefer to find just the fingerless gloves, without the mitten component.

I appreciate any help.
Posted By: Craig2506 Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/25/21
Following
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/25/21

Google will give you more sources than you need.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/25/21
Army GI wool gloves. Cut the fingers off yourself. They don't unravel. I got a pair that I've been using for years like that. Cut them a little longer than you think you want them. The ends will curl a bit, shorten, and that's about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Glove...ool+gloves&qid=1629925272&sr=8-1

or you can buy them pre-cut.
https://www.amazon.com/Fingerless-G...ool+gloves&qid=1629925272&sr=8-2
Posted By: erich Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/25/21
Steel head fishing shops in Western WA carry them. in fact most any sporting goods shop carries them.

I knit my own for coyote hunting. I make them longer to the next finger joint and when it gets colder I put a pair of wool GI Glove liner under them. Keeps me out of the bars at night.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You can get camo yarns at the yarn shop.

Here's a link to 20 free fingerless knitting patterns.

https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knit-Fingerless-Gloves/17-Knit-Fingerless-Glove-Patterns
Posted By: Cjk3006 Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/25/21
Fishermen use these a lot, check local fly shop or website for Simms, Orvis, etc.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/25/21
I have a pair of rock climbers fingerless gloves that I've had for years, they're wool on the back and a very sturdy heavyweight cotton knit on the palm side. Seem to be near impossible to wear out.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/25/21
I used to use a Wool GI liner glove for bowhunting with fingers. I cut the fingers I needed off and they didn't unravel. Hsed that glove often. still have it.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/26/21
Top of the line stuff: Buffalo wool gloves

Lots of fingerless gloves out there. The buffalo wool pair I picked up around 10 yrs ago a great - a little thicker/warmer than most others I've had.
Posted By: wytex Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/26/21
First lite makes some merino ones : https://www.firstlite.com/products/talus-fingerless-merino-glove

Minus 33 does also: https://www.minus33.com/products/merino-wool-fingerless-gloves

Here's some buffalo wool ones : https://thebuffalowoolco.com/products/bison-ragg-wool-fingerless-gloves

The merino will be lower profile material and still be quite warm.

Heck I found some with possum fur and wool but they are women's gloves: https://www.ecowool.com/product/possum-merino-fingerless-gloves/
Posted By: wytex Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/26/21
Sorry Mike didn't see your link to the buffalo ones, they look nice.
Filson used to make some. Check out their website.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/29/21
Sportsmans Guide usually has a good selection of milsurp gloves. Only place I can consistently find ones that fit. They’re cheap enough that you can slice and dice them into something that works. Wool by itself is so dang slippery I usually wear them with some others for some grip.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/29/21
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Top of the line stuff: Buffalo wool gloves

Lots of fingerless gloves out there. The buffalo wool pair I picked up around 10 yrs ago a great - a little thicker/warmer than most others I've had.

Dang, I’ve never had to make glove payments before. At the rate I lose them, I’d be broke in a season.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/29/21
Don't fear synthetics. I have several pairs of Stubai gloves w/ the red rubber dots that I got in the late '90s. Low bulk and quick drying. Wet ones dry in an inside pocket so get several pairs and rotate frequently.

mike r
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/29/21
Get the wool fingerless gloves with the flap that flips over the fingers a hot hands in the flap and your golden
Posted By: HuntClub Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/30/21
I have used a pair of finger-less weight lifting leather gloves with padded palms. They work really well when a liner is not absolutely required.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Don't fear synthetics. I have several pairs of Stubai gloves w/ the red rubber dots that I got in the late '90s. Low bulk and quick drying. Wet ones dry in an inside pocket so get several pairs and rotate frequently.

mike r

When my kids were kids, I used to go to Whatamart every year and buy a pile of the camo acrylic dot gloves they carried; $1.25 a pair. Warm enough for all but the coldest weather, and no tragedy when one (always one) was lost. Still have some of the left-hand ones in my glove bin. Sadly, those are no more, and while similar ones are sold elsewhere, I can’t find ones that fit. “One size fits most” means not me. The milsurp 2x ones from SG generally fit.
Posted By: Ogdonia Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 09/01/21
Following
Posted By: kingston Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 09/01/21
I never understood how wool fingerless gloves keep your fingers from getting cold.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 09/02/21
Originally Posted by kingston
I never understood how wool fingerless gloves keep your fingers from getting cold.

Most of the hand stays warm so circulation is improved to the distal tissue. They do not replace gloves but are useful if you are active and it isn't too windy. I wear them while moving down to about 20*F. Add a quick off mitten and you are pretty versatile for knots, triggers etc.

mike r
I used to use these for duck hunting. Got them at the army navy store back then. But these are cheap enough to get a few pair. I'm bad about losing 1 glove all the time so I like to have spares.

For our archery deer season in AL(temps in the 80's), I buy brown cotton gloves and cut the thumb and first two fingers out.

Bob.

https://www.amazon.com/Fingerless-G...amp;hvtargid=pla-1053491739963&psc=1
Posted By: kingston Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 09/03/21
There was a period of time where I got a pair for Christmas every year. I'd saved them for years and never wore them. I guess my young circulatory system and supercharged metabolism didn't require such trivialities. I've got no idea where they went.
Posted By: gremcat Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 09/03/21
There are the “open” rag wool gloves and the tight weave higher weight green gi gloves. I use the later or even the liners from my Glommits which are Wool mittens with a trigger finger. They are more slippery than the fingerless gloves. When it’s below zero and I’m out all day I use the light merino liners under the green gi fingerless. When I fish for steelhead I use two pairs of surgical latex gloves only and do fine. I’ll sometimes throw a set if fingerless gloves over them if it’s below 0. The key is bloodflow. If I wear tight gloves my hands become ice especially finger tips. I noticed that last Feb fishing for chrome. I’ve read hand warmers at your wrists help. I’m pretty sure my fingerless gloves came from a Surplus store. Probably can dig them out and get the number on them if it helps. The Glommits in theory are nice. In reality they are bulky and not as easy to slip on. Sliding out of them is easy though.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wool fingerless gloves - 09/04/21
Ordered some more Nomex/leather flight gloves today from SG. They had a good selection of fingerless stuff too. Don’t always have every size, but worth a look.
© 24hourcampfire