Home
Posted By: earlybrd Acorn crops - 10/12/23
What you fellas seeing zero white oaks here red oaks are raining
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Acorn crops - 10/12/23
Same here in Southwest Virginia. We have a big Red Oak in our front yard and we have 3 to 6 deer at a time for one half of the day browsing the yard. A little spike and a doe are there now.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Acorn crops - 10/12/23
Persimmon trees are loaded
Posted By: Mike3888 Re: Acorn crops - 10/12/23
Central Pa and Parts of Maryland are loaded this year. Both variety’s.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Acorn crops - 10/12/23
Oak, hickory, and beech hit here heavy. There are so many acorns on ground here the deer aren't bothering with them in our front yard.
Posted By: Bluestone Re: Acorn crops - 10/12/23
Southside VA here. White oaks are nearly a complete failure. Northern red oaks are marginal. Southern red and willow oaks are pretty heavy.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Acorn crops - 10/12/23
Hickorys seem spotty as well need to make a limb chicken run
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
Noticed yesterday that white oaks and red oaks both are dropping in the driveway.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
Lots here in Jefferson County, WV; on the WMA and in my yard. Neighbors too. The Blue Jays that usually come demanding peanuts are busy with the oaks instead.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
Lots of reds and whites here in northwestern pa. My sawtooth and English oaks are loaded as usual. Sitting beside some waiting for first light I type this.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
Falling like crazy here in NE IL and WI. Don't park your car under an Oak tree here, it'll look like it was in a hail storm! Lol!

Black Walnut tree is in overdrive as well!
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
Large crop of red oak and beechnuts here in Central NYS. Spotty apple crop.
Posted By: Fury01 Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
North central Kansas had no oak crop this year. Drought and heat the culprits I imagine.
No apples on my lone tree either.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
Huge mast in Indiana & Wisconsin. I always thought if a guy or yougins would pickup dry acorns and save them ....they could be used for chumming for deer later in the season. Have to be kept dry.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
Massive where I am in Maine.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
I haven't been in the woods much yet.
Going to check on some favorite oak stands tomorrow.
The reds right around our abode are dropping fairly heavily.
Posted By: hanco Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
None in central Texas where I hunt, was a MF last year. I don’t know about East Texas yet.
Posted By: Woodpecker Re: Acorn crops - 10/13/23
Western MI good crop of white and red oak acorns this year but last year almost nothing. A state arborist my Wife knows said this pattern has been repeating last few years. He told her it was from high temps during pollination plus those damn Gypsy moths. We’ve had these caterpillars two years in row and we live in the woods so they are a big messy problem.

Rick
Posted By: ARTY Re: Acorn crops - 10/14/23
Here in Central Va. Not on acorn on any of my oak trees.
Posted By: CBB Re: Acorn crops - 10/14/23
NW PA crazy soft and hard mast this year. So many white oak acorns my brassica are barely being hit and the apples are rotting on the ground. Every chestnut and white oak has had a bumper year.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Acorn crops - 10/14/23
Mast is heavy and widespread here - acorns, hickory, etc.. Some of the acorns are huge, biggest I’ve ever seen. The deer are spread out and likely will stay that way through the season. Should be interesting hunting.
Posted By: Caplock Re: Acorn crops - 10/14/23
Here in South Central Oklahoma and North Texas acorns are subject to heavy losses due to acorn weevils. Not uncommon to see live oak acorns inches deep around Plano but not a single viable nut to be found. So, here having lots of acorns is not necessarily a good sign...you have to check them out. Infested nuts rot pretty quick & I suppose hogs and turkey don't care.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Acorn crops - 10/14/23
The White Oak Mast is heavy here in North Central Ohio. I watch the deer eating them daily. Bucks, Does and yearlings. Also eating on the apple trees planted for their liking.

HS 58
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Acorn crops - 10/14/23
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Mast is heavy and widespread here - acorns, hickory, etc.. Some of the acorns are huge, biggest I’ve ever seen. The deer are spread out and likely will stay that way through the season. Should be interesting hunting.

If nothing else, it means almost anywhere can be the “good spot”, anywhere with oaks that is. On X has a feature that displays oak trees. Throw the dart and go check out the hit, if the wind allows. Cyber-scouting, I think they call it.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Acorn crops - 10/14/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348

If nothing else, it means almost anywhere can be the “good spot”, anywhere with oaks that is. On X has a feature that displays oak trees. Throw the dart and go check out the hit, if the wind allows. Cyber-scouting, I think they call it.
I agree. Thinking I’ll hunt high just above the thick hollows in the hardwoods. There’s a lot of acreage where I hunt and it should be fun.
Posted By: shootem Re: Acorn crops - 10/16/23
Walked some hardwoods a few times lately in Alleghany Co, NC and just about every red oak was dropping acorns. Yesterday they must have been peaking.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Acorn crops - 10/16/23
White oaks at the house are really loaded. Record year. I am already on my 3rd wheelbarrow load. N. GA.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Acorn crops - 10/16/23
Wow!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Acorn crops - 10/16/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I agree. Thinking I’ll hunt high just above the thick hollows in the hardwoods. There’s a lot of acreage where I hunt and it should be fun.

Was out today on the local WMA. They’ve nuked all the brushy meadows and turned them into food plots with clover, ryegrass, fescue, and I think some brassica. Didn’t see any sign the deer were feeding around the edges I walked, but the ground around the little burr oak I like to sit under was covered with empty caps.
Posted By: shootem Re: Acorn crops - 10/21/23
Originally Posted by GAGoober
White oaks at the house are really loaded. Record year. I am already on my 3rd wheelbarrow load. N. GA.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Best “attractant” of all. At our last house we had white oaks galore and had acorns galore every year. I used a shop vac then dumped the tub into a shaker box to get rid of trash. Neighbors drove by with strange looks when I was vacuuming the yard. Never stopped to talk.
© 24hourcampfire