Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
My brother and his son came down for a Youth Only hunt yesterday.

I put them out here at the place with some guidance, and a couple hours later got a call from my brother that my nephew had shot a buck, but it ran, and they couldn't find it. ( 6.5 Creedmoor... LOL )

Loaded Baxter up in the Mule, and drove back to where he'd shot the buck. Let Baxter down and he soon had the scent of the buck and about a minute later, he was standing over the downed and plenty dead buck in the middle of a thicket, where it'd fallen. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It was my nephew's first deer. He did good! Not a bad buck for a first deer at age 10...

Was proud of both my nephew and my dog, Baxter! grin
Posted By: Deans Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
That is great. Congrats to nephew and Baxter.
Good dog!
Posted By: SKane Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
Way to go Bax! ๐Ÿถ
Posted By: OttoG Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
Excellent! My sonโ€™s first deer was found with our black lab. I could have found it quite easily but he wanted the full experience.
Great job
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
Nice! What kind of dog is Baxter?
Posted By: jc189 Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
Very nice. Congrats to your nephew on his first Deer. Love to see the kids out hunting.

Good boy Baxter.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Awesomeness!
Posted By: kenacp Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
Congrats to all!
Posted By: skeen Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/14/24
Good for the young man, and nice work Baxter. smile
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/15/24
Thanks guys!

I've been working with Baxter on "working/hunting" stuff the past couple of months. He's only a year and a half, so still a big pup.

He's doing very good at everything I teach him, but he took naturally to hunting and tracking. That helps.

Originally Posted by thumbcocker

He's a giant schnauzer... 110 pounds right now.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/15/24
Awesome! I love kids shooting and fishing and doing outside stuff. And Iโ€™ve always wanted a dog that would trail a deer.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/15/24
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Thanks guys!

I've been working with Baxter on "working/hunting" stuff the past couple of months. He's only a year and a half, so still a big pup.

He's doing very good at everything I teach him, but he took naturally to hunting and tracking. That helps.

I thought so, but I wasn't sure
I'd say the kid got the FULL experience.

Kudos, all-'round.

Hell, I'd even offer the kid a sip o' beer.

FC
Great job.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/17/24
Congratulations all the way around! Cool dog, cool uncle, happy young man that I hope continues to hunt. Those youpon thickets can get pretty narly. Trailing dogs are AWESOME and should be used more.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/17/24
Thanks guys!

Trailing deer and other wounded critters comes easy for a dog...good practice for Baxter today!
Originally Posted by skeen
Good for the young man, and nice work Baxter. smile

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Posted By: beretzs Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/17/24
Way to go. Great first buck!

Dog is very cool as well!
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/17/24
That's cool as heck, congrats to your nephew and to Baxter as well.
Posted By: JustinL1 Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/17/24
Iโ€™m used to the regular sized schnauzers, I thought that deer next to the dog was going to be a shoe in for the dink-a-thon! Never knew Giant Schnauzers existed, thatโ€™s a good looking dog and Iโ€™ll bet heโ€™s pretty fierce!

Congrats to your nephew on a day heโ€™ll never forget and you for helping make it happen!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by JustinL1
Iโ€™m used to the regular sized schnauzers, I thought that deer next to the dog was going to be a shoe in for the dink-a-thon! Never knew Giant Schnauzers existed, thatโ€™s a good looking dog and Iโ€™ll bet heโ€™s pretty fierce!

Congrats to your nephew on a day heโ€™ll never forget and you for helping make it happen!

Thanks guys!

Nephew texted me his thanks again. My brother said he's still on cloud nine. smile I remember my first buck, so those memories will last awhile.

Justin, they are great dogs, but not suited for people who aren't more stubborn than they are... grin

Baxter truly is an amazing companion. Very athletic too!

Posted By: ingwe Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/18/24
Justin, they are great dogs, but not suited for people who aren't more stubborn than they are... grin

Yep they are great dogs, and used quite a bit in Europe for police work, as they have the drive and are ass-kickers.

Trivia for you Barry:FSU conducted research in 2005 to determine the lowest threshold of detection that canine olfaction could be taken to.They used a Rottweiler and a Giant Schnauzer- neither dog noted for its "nose" ( something I get a kick out of when I hear the gun dog guys saying how good of a "nose" their dog has...) Anyway, they used Amyl Acetate as the target compounds and the Schnauzer could detect it down to 1.09 Parts Per TRILLION! Try to wrap your head around that....
Posted By: JustinL1 Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/18/24
Very good looking dog and I know all about stubborn dogs- Baxter and I would get along just fine! I hope he finds many more deer for you and your family!
Posted By: johnw Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep they are great dogs, and used quite a bit in Europe for police work, as they have the drive and are ass-kickers.

Trivia for you Barry:FSU conducted research in 2005 to determine the lowest threshold of detection that canine olfaction could be taken to.They used a Rottweiler and a Giant Schnauzer- neither dog noted for its "nose" ( something I get a kick out of when I hear the gun dog guys saying how good of a "nose" their dog has...) Anyway, they used Amyl Acetate as the target compounds and the Schnauzer could detect it down to 1.09 Parts Per TRILLION! Try to wrap your head around that....

's true. The average dog lives as much or more by it's nose as it's eyes.

Also undeniable that even amongst breeds known for their noses, there are specimens with either a superior nose or superior ability to process and use the information the nose gives it...

Had a Chessie bitch years ago that taught herself to handle pheasant and huns differently. You knew what she had in her nose by the way she worked the birds

Edit; That Chessie, Rio was a ninja, on huns. But I'm fully convinced that her nose was inferior to the yellow lab I had at the same time. And that lab's dam had a superior nose to the sire of the litter, obvious to those who hunted them
Posted By: johnw Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/18/24
And experience using the nose helps a dog, too.

Good on those who could find their own deer, but allow a dog to work it for the experience...
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/18/24

Tom,
While I agree that canine noses are AMAZING organs, you have to remember that Amyl Acetate is not a super hard compound for an olfactory organ to detect. That's a major reason why the compound is used to detect leaks in Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) like half and full face respirators. I remember getting testing many times in my PPE masks, and when the fit was off even by a tiny amount, I soon detected that ugly banana-like odor of amyl acetate. But that said, 1 PPT is a very low detection threshold that no human nose will ever achieve...
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/18/24

I've seen dogs at work with their noses, and can testify to the fact!

Saw a drug dog detect dope in a welded steel container that was concealed inside a gasoline fuel tank in a vehicle. That dispels any doubt. smile

I'm sure you have lots of stories yourself.

One thing I find amusing is when Baxter sees an animal beside the road, deer, cow, or whatever... He'll watch it, but he puts his nose to my a/c vent to smell it as well.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/18/24

Saw a drug dog detect dope in a welded steel container that was concealed inside a gasoline fuel tank in a vehicle. That dispels any doubt. smile

Yep, I have stories aplenty. Things that I wouldn't believe if someone else told me. If we can ever get together, the stories get even better over bourbon! laugh
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/19/24

Yep, I have stories aplenty. Things that I wouldn't believe if someone else told me. If we can ever get together, the stories get even better over bourbon! laugh

I'm ready!

I have a lot of hog land to hunt now that deer season is over... wink
Posted By: ingwe Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/19/24

I'm ready!

I have a lot of hog land to hunt now that deer season is over... wink

You shouldn't have told me that......
laugh
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/21/24
Congrats to both the boy and the dog!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Baxter Saves the Day! - 01/23/24
This is way cool and a really great looking pup!
Kids and dogs in the woods what's not to like!?
© 24hourcampfire