Home
Posted By: Sherwood Deer Crossing Sign - 04/14/24
Many years back, I was scouting for a place to hunt deer within the Huron National Forest of Michigan. I had never driven there before but soon encountered a deer crossing yellow sign by the roadway. I stopped and walked back about 100 yards looking for a deer trail. Finding nothing, I reversed my steps and found a heavily used deer trail about 50 yards past the sign. I followed the trail for about half mile into the forest where it crossed another deer trail. So I made a plan to hunt within sight of the two trails but back aways so that any movement would not be seen by wary deer. I cleared a couple shooting lanes so I could fire my 30-30 carbine without brush in the way. Opening morning of deer season found me sitting on a mat ready to shoot. At about 8AM, a doe walked down one trail and a dandy six pointer followed close behind. I lined up my open sights on the chest of this buck and squeezed off a shot. The Winchester bucked slightly as the blast echoed through the forest and the buck toppled after a few jumps. He never knew what hit him. I was delighted that a plan came to fruition because of that deer crossing sign! Sherwood[size:11pt][/size]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Deer Crossing Sign - 04/14/24
Great Story!
Posted By: jc189 Re: Deer Crossing Sign - 04/14/24
Pretty nice of them to put that sign there. Glad you got your Buck. Good for you.
Posted By: johnw Re: Deer Crossing Sign - 04/14/24
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Deer Crossing Sign - 04/14/24
Obviously watching Bambi and believing it.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Deer Crossing Sign - 04/14/24
There’s a deer crossing sign just like that close to my sister’s house and every Christmas season somebody glues a red nose on the deer.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Deer Crossing Sign - 04/14/24
Originally Posted by johnw

I remember that on the radio. It was up in Moorhead MN.

It was hard to believe that either that bimbo was that stupid, or she called it in as a joke, to just test out how many idiots would think this is a real issue.... being in cahoots with the radio station DJs!

I can attest there are people in Minnesota who are naieve enough to believe stuff like that...

My ex wife being one of them.....
If hunting a new area in NC those signs in public areas are great places to start scouting. I asked a GW years ago what the criteria was for a sign being put up.
Basically it is the amount of deer /car collisions in a particular area. That sign is a great marker for what amounts to a natural travel corridor.

I also have ridden the dirt roads in the Nat'l Forest and look for the "ruts" worn in the ditches. This is where a lot of critters cross the roads.
Posted By: shaman Re: Deer Crossing Sign - 04/16/24
Your luck with that tactic is far better than mine:

Funnels and Deer Signs
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Deer Crossing Sign - 04/17/24
Sherwood, I know a man here in Idaho who, along with his partner, set up with a good view where there is a deer crossing sign on the highway. He told me they get a buck or two each Fall

I meant to try it the following season but did not manage to do it. That deer crossing sign is there for a reason. smile

L.W.
© 24hourcampfire