Home
Posted By: srwshooter 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/02/09
here's my 9pt i killed with my tc triumph in nov 08.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: High_Brass Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/02/09
Beautiful buck, congrats!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/02/09
Nice buck, got a glory shot with him from last fall?
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/02/09
wow I would kill for a mount like that!
and you did! lol
beautiful buck!
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/02/09
nice
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/02/09
You ruined a perfectly good set of rattlin' horns, look at them long handles. grins....Heck of a nice deer!!!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
heck of a buck.
Posted By: CLB Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
Very nice buck. Got a good story to go with it?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
Nice deer.
Posted By: SKane Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
I think I recall picts of that one. That's a really good buck and the mount turned out really nice. Who did the work?
Posted By: DJTex Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
Handsome buck, indeed - like the way he turned out.

DJ
Posted By: srwshooter Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
thanks guys, i killed this buck from my favorite tree stand . the tract of land is only 18acres,there are 3 huge thickets on this property .in between them is a 250yd stretch of open hardwoods. my stand is in those open woods. i hadn't seen this buck but knew there was a big buck there because he was horning trees that were 4in thick everywhere.

i ride my atv into the property everyday,2 weeks before i found a 2ft scape along the trail i ride in on,well on the day i killed him he had open that scrape up to over 4ft wide so knew things were heating up. i got in the stand early and not long after shooting light a doe and a 3pt buck came cruzing by. then 2 does ran thru the open woods about 50yds from me ,then a 5pt came along ,nose to the ground . about a hour later i spotted a lone doe thru a small opening along side one of the thickets. i could barely see her . after a few minutes of watching her thru the bino's i looked behind her ,there was a huge tree leaning over maybe 5ft off the ground. i saw somthing move on the other side of that tree and he stepped under it and up popped those big antlers. i thought man he's nice and grabbed the ML. when i got on him he had started down a very steep bank behind the doe. he dropped his flat to the ground and i had a perfect shot at his body. i shot and when the smoke cleared i watched as he went stiff legged and fell right where i shot him. my first thought was man he went down fast,then i thought ,that was a long shot. i got my range finder out and it turned out to be 146yd shot.

where he fell i could get my atv right to him ,but he had such a big body i couldn't get him loaded and had to go get the land owner to help. he said this was the biggest buck he had ever seen on his property.

this place is not very big ,but has produced some of my best bucks. the land owner won't let anyone else hunt it and 400-500 acres on each side that gets hunted hard its a perfect safe haven for the deer, that is until i see them......

srwshooter
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
Very nice mount.
Posted By: battue Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
Was that a preseason trail cam pic? Amazing how he could turn himself around in that tree to get back out....

Our Pa. deer usually just bed up on the downwind or sunny side of the hill....
srw-

Not trying to be a wise guy, but if there's hunting pressure on both sides and your parcel is a sanctuary for deer, you might think about leaving the ATV out of the mix. Now, it's obviously worked for you in the past but it'd be interesting to note over the course of a season what sort of deer activity you witness if the parcel is sans disturbance.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
Nice buck! Congrats

I agree SKane, he may see more deer w/o the atv disturbance.

I hunt a small parcel in a good cropland area here and the guy that bought the surrounding property is always riding his damn atv right up to and along our property line. When he rides in while I'm hunting I see very few deer if any. Last year I was bow hunting during the rut and had a buck trashing a thicket nearby while trailing a doe. Everything got exciting and here comes the guy, hunt blown! We only use atvs to haul out dead deer or to work on stands preseason. I've also witnessed deer fleeing when an atv was heading in. Talk about piss you off after you've snuck about 3/4 of a mile from the truck to your set-up.

Have a Good One,

loder
Posted By: northern_dave Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
wow, talk about a tall rack! Very cool.

Posted By: runswithscissors Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
that's a nice buck srwshooter. grin
Posted By: stumpy Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
Beautiful buck.
Ditto on the ATV. We don't even walk through our "sanctuary" area during deer season.

stumpy
Posted By: srwshooter Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/03/09
you guys worry to much,i park my atv 50yds from my stand and have had to run deer off while walking to my stand in the dark. i can not see where it makes much differents. this place is a long ridge that is about 3 miles long,the 18 acres is dead on top in the middle of the ridge. the deer almost have to come by me at some point. you guys say the atv scares deer 2 years ago i saw 112 deer in 3 weeks of hunting from the same stand. these deer are very used to atv's and farm tractors. this buck crossed my atv trail seeing distance from where i park. i really think i'm putting less scent in the woods by riding in instead of walking. i just go in atleast 45min before daylight ,so everygthing calms down before shooting light. i don't walk anywhere else on the 18 acres unless its to recover a animal.

what you guys don't know is,i'm most alway killing the biggest bucks on the whole ridge,so why would i want to change anything.

srwshooter
FWIW, the first outfitter in that I hunted with in SK had a kid that was a die-hard deer hunter and wanted to get into bow hunting. We stayed in touch because he didn't know much about archery. Anyway, he had numerous daylight pictures of a MEGA buck visiting his pea pile but he couldn't lay eyes on him when he sat the stand. After some back-and-forth, I finally figured out he was riding his four wheeler dang near to his stand. I told him to have his dad drop him off (on the 4-wheeler) and then leave - this buck obviously had him pegged. Two hours later that evening he arrowed the 166" bruiser. wink

You can take the advice for what it's worth, and, if it's working for you, stay with it. I'd at least be open to trying a new approach.

Posted By: battue Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/04/09
srwshooter

First, great buck and one to be proud of.

The question I have is can you hunt the 500 adjacent acres? Because if I could there is no way I could sit on the same 18 acres constantly, I don't much care how big a buck I may take.

Again not trying to be a WA, but I just couldn't do it and remain sane. Stuff is happening on that 500 and if I could go there, I would just have to try and see what it was.

A few of us have a thousand acre lease and there are times I have to go to a 5-6 thousand acre Game Lands or public lands that border it because I start to fell confined.

You have my admiration for being able to do what you do.
For me ADD is sometimes an advantage.

Posted By: srwshooter Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/04/09
Originally Posted by battue
srwshooter

First, great buck and one to be proud of.

The question I have is can you hunt the 500 adjacent acres? Because if I could there is no way I could sit on the same 18 acres constantly, I don't much care how big a buck I may take.

Again not trying to be a WA, but I just couldn't do it and remain sane. Stuff is happening on that 500 and if I could go there, I would just have to try and see what it was.

A few of us have a thousand acre lease and there are times I have to go to a 5-6 thousand acre Game Lands or public lands that border it because I start to fell confined.

You have my admiration for being able to do what you do.
For me ADD is sometimes an advantage.

yes ,i can hunt on one of the big tracts that joins my 18 acres, but i always seem to kill the big bucks from that one stand. the 18 acres is 60-70% thickets ,the big tracts are wide open timber mostly. the deer run into the thickets and calm down. then they get up to feed or run doe's and end up in front of me.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/05/09
You Buck should be in a "Power Belt" commercial.

Doc
Posted By: Flinch Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/06/09
Just think what you would see if you actually got off your ATV and walked in. You might be killing the biggest bucks for your group, but you aren't killing the biggest bucks, that is for sure. You are getting VERY lucky to say the least. Deer do get very used to ATV's and hunting pressure. If you don't get a lot of hunting pressure where you are killing all these big bucks, or the deer are used to ATV's, then that is the reason you are killing them, not because you "aren't worrying about it." Flinch
Posted By: Flinch Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/06/09
Did you have to wipe the milk off his lips and throw rocks at the doe??? LOL...great buck, pretty mount! Flinch
Posted By: JPro Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/06/09
I try to always park a 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so out from my stands if driving an ATV. I walk in the rest of the way or have someone drop me off and leave out on the noisy sucker. In one spot, I could easily drive a truck or ATV right to my stand, but I park 1 mile out and walk in. I see the most bucks on that stand.
Posted By: passport Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/06/09
Nice buck, mid 130's?
Posted By: srwshooter Re: 08 ml 9pt mount - 08/06/09
my buddy scored it green a 153b&c and he's usually real close.
© 24hourcampfire