Home
Doc told me I shouldn't hunt elk this year in the Colorado mountains. So I traded my tags in for a whitetail doe tag in areas 143, 144, and 145. This area contains the Comanche Grasslands in Colorado. I going to do a couple of scouting trips in November. I was wondering if any one has hunted the grasslands and/or could give me an idea of where to start scouting?
Contact the Colorado Division Of Wildlife for that area. Ask to speak to someone that knows the area. Probably a Game Warden as we call them in Texas.
I have a call and an email pending right now with the DOW for this area. I figure most of the deer will be found in the creek bottoms. I will do 2 scouting trips in November to verify this. Just trying to collect as much information as I can before I go scout. Thanks for the help.

DayPacker:

I've hiked and camped in that area and explored it some. The Comanche National Grassland is very scattered. Many small parcels surrounded by lots of private land. Many of the parcels of public land are inaccessible because you have to cross private property to get to them and the gates are locked.

There is some huntable parcels around Carrizo Creek. But I think the idea of talking to the local DOW officer might be the best strategy for getting good recon.

KC

Contact Johnathan Reitz (spelling?) he is a DOW officer in that area and can give you some good info, I believe he drew a tag in that area last season.
I would focus on the area SW of Springfield. You can order the grasslands map through the DOW.
Heck, most landowners will let you shoot a doe. While you are out there you may want to knock on a door or two. Good luck.
© 24hourcampfire