Home
Posted By: MERAMECMAN DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW WHITETAIL DEER RIFLE THAT IS GOOD FOR ELK AND MOOSE ALSO.
I CURRENTLY USE A 30-06 AND IT IS PLENTY OF GUN DONT GET ME WRONG, BUT I HUNT A FIVE HUNDRED YARD LONG ALFALFA FIELD AND NEED LONG RANGE KNOCK DOWN FOR TROPHY HUNTING...I AM LOOKING AT THE.... BROWNING WHITE GOLD R.M.E.F .325 WSM...THE WINCHESTER COYOTE LIGHT .325 CAL....OR WEATHERBY SUB MOA .338CAL
ANOTHER DEBATE IS TO SHOOT .325 WSM...300WSM....338,
ANY OPINIONS
Posted By: T_Inman Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
257 Roy is about as flat as a deer/elk rifle gets.
Posted By: Odessa Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
Agree with Dog Hunter; for your stated purpose you need to drop back in bore diameter to obtain a flatter trajectory. Lots of good choices (use what DH suggested) also look at the 270 WIN, 270 WSM, 7mm REM MAG, 7mm WSM, 7mm Weatherby Mag, etc. Bullet choice is good, lots of "elk" bullets to pick from.
Posted By: retrieverman Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
257 Weatherby is an excellent suggestion, but it sounds like MERAMECMAN might have a bad case of "magnumitis". The only cure that I have ever seen for "magnumitis" is to buy one.

Been there, done that, and I got the sore shoulder to prove it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
IF YOU NEED SOMETHING LONG RANGE AND VERSATILE ENOUGH TO SHOOT HEAVIER BULLETS, I'D GO 7MM OR 300WSM AND NOT LOOK BACK.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
HI GUYS! WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE & WHY ARE WE YELLING? grin
Posted By: salmonhead Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
300 Ultra mag, 180 Swift Scirroco. enough said
I thought MERAMECMAN was having trouble hearing and/or preferred all caps. wink
what are those things in your avatar skane?
Dave-

Remington bolt handles that I found last week while out looking for sheds - they were everywhere. wink
Haa!!

I see it now, hillarious!!

oops, I just tripped on one at work here!! grin

Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
7RM is certainly a good one.

500yds is quite a poke and one that shouldn't be attempted unless the rifle and hunter are well praticed at that range and the conditions are perfect IMO.

loder
Posted By: MERAMECMAN Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
I ADMIT I MAY HAVE MAGNUMITUS...BUT THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS I SIT IN A TREE FOR A WEEK WAITING FOR THAT ONE TROPHY BUCK HE MAY BE 20 YARDS HE MAY BE 500 YARDS..EITHER WAY I WANT TO MAKE DARN SURE HE IS GOING TO GET A HEAVY LOAD.
I SHOOT A 150" WHITETAIL WITH 243 WSSM AT 350 YARDS IN THE RAIN.
AND PRACTICE SHOOTS LIKE THESE SO I FEEL I CAN PERFORM FOR THE CALIBER I CHOOSE.
WHAT RIFLES???HAVENT HEARD ANY POSTS ON THEM.
Posted By: noKnees Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
Originally Posted by SKane
Dave-

Remington bolt handles that I found last week while out looking for sheds - they were everywhere. wink

Thats funny..maybe funnier than the robot girlfriend
JUST DONT SEE WHY GO WITH A 300WSM WHEN THERE IS 325 WSM...NOT WORRIED ABOUT AMMO PRICE.... SHOULDNT TAKE MORE THAN ONE SHOT ANYHOW.
AND I USE IT MABEY 2 TIMES A YEAR FOR ELK AND DEER./.
JUST SO YA KNOW WHAT I AM DOIN WITH THIS NEW RIFLE
Posted By: utah708 Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
If you really want 500 yard reach, either a 300 Wby or a 300RUM might be the ticket.

The issue is not so much about power, but trajectory.

And you ought to be worried about ammo price--you are going to need to practice at 500 yds if you want tohave the skills to take ethical shots at that range. You are getting into distances that can be pretty humbling.

YOU MENTIONED DEER, ELK AND MOOSE. I'M ASSUMING YOU'D LIKELY RUN DIFFERENT BULLETS FOR DEER THAT YOU WOULD FOR MOOSE - MAYBE NOT. SELECTION OF .323 BULLETS IS MUCH LESS THAN THAT OF THE .308 BULLETS, HENCE, IMO, IT MAKES THE 300WSM MORE APPEALING.

MOOSE IS A MABEY SOMEDAY THING....TROPHY NORTHERN WHITETAIL DEER AND AN ELK EVERY 2 YEARS IS WHAT I WILL BE USING THIS GUN FOR MOST

LEANING TOWARD THE BROWNING WHITE GOLD 325
OR WEATHERBY SUB MOA 300 WSSM
what do you guys think about the new winchester model 70 coyote light????
Posted By: stxhunter Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
300 rum
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
GET A 378 WEATHERBY.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
Originally Posted by SKane
[Linked Image]Dave-

TOO FUNNY, EH NORTHERN DAVE?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

-
Posted By: exbiologist Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
[Linked Image]

YOU NEED A .338-378 WEATHERBY TO CURE YOUR MAGNUMITIS
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
Prayers sent....
too funny!!

I vote 460wby.

I mean..

I VOTE 460WBY!!!!

Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
MORTIE, IS THAT YOU?
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I VOTE 460WBY!!!!

W/O EARPLUGS.

6 POUND RIFLE, PLENTY OF RISE, HARD PLASTIC BUTT PLATE, TUPPERWARE STOCK!!!!!
Posted By: Cossatotjoe Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
YOU SAID YOU HUNT IN A 500 YARD FIELD?

I HAVE A SOLUTION: MOVE STAND TO A DIFFERENT TREE CLOSER TO THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD. SHOTS WILL THEN BE 250 YARDS MAX. KEEP 30-06 AND SPEND EXTRA MONEY ON PRACTICE AMMUNITION.

Posted By: Bighorn Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
Would you guys please knock it off with the SHOUTING?
WHAT? YOU'LL HAFF TO SPEAK UP.... grin
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/11/10
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
MORTIE, IS THAT YOU?

LOOKIN' FOR A SQUILL RIFLE.
Posted By: fu_redneck Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/12/10
I THINK HE NEEDS A 50 BMG. THAT WAY HE DOESN'T HAVE TO WASTE HIS TIME CLIMBING INTO THE TREE STAND. NO WORRY ABOUT HOW BIG THE FIELD IS EITHER. CAN YOU GUYS HEAR ME?
Posted By: smokepole Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/12/10
Originally Posted by MERAMECMAN

Why buy a Weatherby rifle in a WSSM when you could get a Sub-MOA in .300 Wby. for 6 bills and change?

Talk about flat-shooting, grab some ballistics tables and look up a 165 grain spitzer in the .300 Wby and see how many cartridges shoot as flat out at long distances.

That load's plenty for elk & moose too, but if you want a bigger bullet load up some 200's and you're done.

I got one several months ago and it did shoot sub-MOA with factory ammo. right outta the box.
Posted By: fu_redneck Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/12/10
+1 on that, I loved my 300 weatherby and it would smoke any 300 wsm. You also wouldn't have the feeding problems and you wouldn't be limited to a certain bullet weight either. The wsm's don't like the longer heavier bullets.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Why buy a Weatherby rifle in a WSSM when you could get a Sub-MOA in .300 Wby. for 6 bills and change?

Talk about flat-shooting, grab some ballistics tables and look up a 165 grain spitzer in the .300 Wby and see how many cartridges shoot as flat out at long distances.

That load's plenty for elk & moose too, but if you want a bigger bullet load up some 200's and you're done.

I got one several months ago and it did shoot sub-MOA with factory ammo. right outta the box.
Posted By: rob p Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/12/10
I went down to North Carolina for the first time in 1987. I brought my Sako .30-06 and killed 2 deer out around 200 yards. We were watching deer walking out 300, 400, even 500 yards away and wondering how our guns would fare. The next year, my friend Joe left his "06" home and brought a .300 Weatherby Magnum Sako TRG rifle and I had my gunsmith build me a fifteen pound .30-.338 that I brought down for the next 17 years I hunted there. I killed a lot of deer with 165 grain game kings, and later with ballistic tips.

The other guys I hunted with left their "06's" and .308's home and bought 7mm Weatherby Mags and .300 Weatherby Mags. I had a .300 WSM built I brought along my last 2 years. I killed a buck and a doe at 450 yds with it about 20 seconds apart and they were the last deer I shot with a rifle. The owner of the camp had enough and moved on.

I can tell you that from 18 years of shooting deer with .300 Win Mag class cartridges, they work very well. I never missed a deer, never wounded a deer, and never had to track a deer shot with one of my big rifles. Hit high in the shoulder, they fall on their faces. I'll admit through a 6.5 X 20 Leupold, it's not a huge feat of marksmanship.

I wondered from the beginning if I would do well with a 7mm Rem Mag as the man who owned the camp and his son had several in the rack. That's one I never tried. I'm interested in posts like this because a lot of folks chime in with their favorites, and it's good to read what other people like.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/12/10
300 Win. Mag. w/ 200gn partitions, think about a CRF rifle if your gonna hunt elk and moose in bear country. good luck, gunner
Posted By: MERAMECMAN Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/12/10
i am going to give the browning white gold rock mountain elk foundtion gun a try in the 325 wsm...if its to much kick i will just have to cry because the price of gun is so high!

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS DID
NOT KNOW I WAS YELLING AT EVERYONE...lol

the guy who said i need to get a .50 caliber really cracked me up when i read that i laughed hard..
thanks for the input.

Posted By: MERAMECMAN Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/12/10
does tika really have a 1" gaurantee out of the box...
that is impresive...
and the 257 you were refering to is the 257 weastherby.. correct?
Posted By: tzone Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/12/10
If you like the Tikka's...get a Tikka in a 25-06, and shoot the heck out of the deer.
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/13/10
Buy/build a 7Rm/7wby mag and shoot the snot out of it.

Joseph
Posted By: powderBurnz Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/13/10
MERAMECMAN,

MAYBE IF YOU JUST YELL REAL LOUD OR SHOW THE DEER YOUR ELEPHANTIASIS, that'll knock em down real hard???!!!?? cry

Sorry maybe it was "Magnumitis" instead, i forget. laugh
Posted By: Hoot Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/14/10
I love my 06. But if I were looking for a boost in power. I like the ballistics on the weatherby 300.

Not anything I want to plink with. they lay the lumber to your shoulder.

Hoot
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DEER RIFLE - 01/15/10
I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW WHITETAIL DEER RIFLE THAT IS GOOD FOR ELK AND MOOSE ALSO.
I CURRENTLY USE A 30-06 AND IT IS PLENTY OF GUN DONT GET ME WRONG, BUT I HUNT A FIVE HUNDRED YARD LONG ALFALFA FIELD AND NEED LONG RANGE KNOCK DOWN FOR TROPHY HUNTING...I AM LOOKING AT THE.... BROWNING WHITE GOLD R.M.E.F .325 WSM...THE WINCHESTER COYOTE LIGHT .325 CAL....OR WEATHERBY SUB MOA .338CAL
ANOTHER DEBATE IS TO SHOOT .325 WSM...300WSM....338,
ANY OPINIONS

YOUR BESTEST CHOICE IS A 375 H&H SHOOTING THE 235 GRAIN BARNES FLATBASE OVER 80 GRAINS OF VARGET AT 3000 FPS, GOOD KNOCKDOWN POWER AND VERY FLAT SHOOTING FOR DEER TROPPY HUNTING, I AM PRETTY SURE THAT BROWNING MAKES A FINE A-BORT IN THE WHITE GOD LINE IN 375 H&H
© 24hourcampfire