Home
Posted By: MERAMECMAN rifle grouping - 01/12/10
i have a ruger mk2 stainless with all weather stock stainless barell.30-06.. about 15 years old....it used to shoot 1/2" groups when first purchased..
last few years accuracy has went down hill it has been bumped and droped a few times.... was shooting 6" group at 100...cleaned and removed copper fouling ,,replaced scope..and got it down to a 3" group at 100 yards..
any idea what is going on here?
gunsmith said crown and rifiling looks ok. i just dont see how i go from 1/2" to 6" pattern.
Posted By: tzone Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
Tighten the rings and bases and check it again.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
Do you reload? same ammo/bullet?

Check the front action screw the rugers are notorious for the front action screw not holding over time.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
Put a different proven scope on it and have someone else shoot it with premium factory ammo.

Betcha it comes back.
Posted By: Calvin Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
If you've done the obvious, check the scope mounts for fine cracks. If you have the means, buy another set and try them.
Posted By: MERAMECMAN Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
HAVE CHECKED THE MOUNTS AND RINGS..... SHOOT 150 WINCHESTER BALLISTIC TIPS...GUNSMITH TOLD ME THEY MAY HAVE CHANGED THE LOAD YEARS BACK? WICH WOULD CAUSE IT...BUT I HAVE TRIED EVERY BRAND AND GRAIN BULET THEY SELL. SHOOTS 150 BEST. HORNADY AND WINCHESTER. 168 GRAIN SHOOTS OK TOO.
SCOPE WAS LEUPOLD VX2....PUT BUSHNELL 3200 ON IT AND IT HELPED SLIGHTLY..MAINLY BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE THE CROSSHAIRS IN THE BUSHNELL BETTER..
WHAT FRONT ACTION SCREW ARE YOU REFERING TOO??
Posted By: MERAMECMAN Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
ooppss did the CAPS thing again......i will send you guys some earplugs and sunglasses...lol
Posted By: sidepass Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
should be in front of the trigger guard.

sidepass
Posted By: heavywalker Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
Front action screw at the front of the floorplate or where it would be if you are running a blind mag.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
Originally Posted by Calvin
check the scope mounts for fine cracks. If you have the means, buy another set and try them.

+1

I read your response to calvin saying you checked the rings, but go ahead and replace them. You may not be able to see a problem that could be there.
Also, when removing and replacing stocks, sometimes they don't go back exactly the same way. Is your barrel touching the stock anywhere?
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: rifle grouping - 01/12/10
Front guard screw is located under the floor plate. Open the hinged plate..it will be in front, and runs at an angle up and into the recoil lug. Check the rear screw while your at it. They need to be tight.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: rifle grouping - 01/13/10
Right, check the screws BUT if that fails AND you have dropped the gun, try changing the scope to one you KNOW works 100%.
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: rifle grouping - 01/13/10
All weather stocks can warp too. Check that the barrel is free floating or that it doesn't have improper contact with the stock.
Posted By: rayporter Re: rifle grouping - 01/13/10
lots of good ideas. my bet is if cleaning helped it that much-clean it again, and again and again. untill you can soak it in solvent and push a plastic jag thru with no blue.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: rifle grouping - 01/13/10
MERAMECMAN,

Dropping your rifle is not conducive to accuracy. I suggest you stop doing that. You might want to examine the barrel crown for damage as well.

-
Posted By: clintsfolly Re: rifle grouping - 01/13/10
try dropping it again may fix it! clint
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: rifle grouping - 01/14/10
+1 on checking the action screws. Rugers with that angled front screw are notorious for not shooting well without proper torque on the front screw. Check the crown to make sure that it isn't damaged as well. There will be an answer, sometimes it is just a challenge to figure out. Good luck!
Posted By: Hoot Re: rifle grouping - 01/15/10
I would re start from the mounts up.

if all the normal problems arent it. My buddy had a Ruger once that got wet and the wood swole up and was touching the barrel.

Posted By: summitsitter Re: rifle grouping - 01/15/10
Just snug the middle screw up. It'll help I promise. Hard for me to believe a gun that's been hunted with for 15 years still has a great crown.. You must treat your rifles alot nicer than I do.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: rifle grouping - 01/15/10
The rifle is 15 years old. How many rounds a year do you put through it? Is it possible the barrel is worn out? For example if you shoot 300 rounds a year it would have 4500 rounds through it and the barrel is sure to be affected. Just a thought.

Jim
Posted By: Stroker Re: rifle grouping - 01/15/10
Speaking of dropping a rifle, I dont wanna hi-jack this thread but who was it posted a video a year or two ago about proper rifle barrel break in. This guy would shoot a round and pick up his rifle and throw it down on the rocks and repeat. Funniest thing I have seen. Does anyone have that saved?
Posted By: heavywalker Re: rifle grouping - 01/15/10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

this one
Posted By: Stroker Re: rifle grouping - 01/15/10
Yes thats it.....Awesome, thank you Heavywalker. I have been trying to find a cow barrel but cant seem to find one. smile
Posted By: ranger1 Re: rifle grouping - 01/15/10
Aren't all Rugers built with forend pressure? I don't think they are factory free floated so the fact that the stock is touching the barrel shouldn't necessarily be cause for concern. Which isn't to say that it may not have warped, creating an accuracy issue. As far as that goes, the stock may even be cracked on the interior if it's been dropped hard enough.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: rifle grouping - 01/15/10
Originally Posted by clintsfolly
try dropping it again may fix it! clint

Only drop it in the opposite direction this time.
Posted By: MERAMECMAN Re: rifle grouping - 01/18/10
the screw is tight, the crown has been checked by a gunsmith, he also looked at the rifiling and said it was fine. replaced scope. rings have no damage to them, i used to shoot the rifle alot when i was younger but anymore mabey two or three boxes a year out of it...i am going to try to remove copper fouling again tonight again. i have looked at this gun over and over i would just sell the darn thing but i have taken alot of deer with it. it is holding a 3 " group at 100 yards yesterday.with 5 rounds...nut still not like it was..next step would be new barell, beded stock, trigger, i dont even know if they make replacement upgrade barells does anyone here??? also thought about sending it to hill country rifes and having them do the accurizing kit>?
Posted By: EWY Re: rifle grouping - 01/19/10
If you had the action out of the stock I would remove it and then re install it making sure everything is sitting right. Make sure the mag box is seated and carefully torque the screws.

Posted By: RS308MX Re: rifle grouping - 01/19/10
3 inch groups are good enough for killing deer. Get it zero'ed the best you can and hunt with it. You're not competition shooting with it are you?
Posted By: heavywalker Re: rifle grouping - 01/19/10
You couldn't pay me to hunt with a 3MOA rifle.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: rifle grouping - 01/20/10
My Ruger has a sweet spot where it likes some fouling. It shoots best with about two or three boxes through it. I get just over 1" groups and this is a UL rifle in 30.06 with the boat paddle stock. After four or five boxes I clean it very well and start over.
© 24hourcampfire