Home
What are your preferences and why?
I like a tree stand. Being part of the elements seems more like hunting to me.

Doesn't mean that when it's -5* I don't think about building a tower stand though. smile
Treestand for me, I get bored easy and looking at walls with little windows doesn't help. Be in outside with a better view of my surroundings just makes a hunt more enjoyable.
I,ve hunted out of ground blinds, ladder towers and tower blinds but never a tree stand. Can recognize they would be a plus for bow hunting being able to get super close to a game trail.
I am wondering if trying a tree stand would be worth much to a rifle hunt watching more area, considering I would also be new to using a harness.
The blinds are nice for rainy days or keeping some of a cold wind off, and not having to be so careful about squirming around and being caught moving.
spot and stalk...
Yes, spot and stalk works great for plains areas, hunt'em like mulies.
We use towers because we generally hunt over food plots and there is never a tree in the right place. They are dry, comfortable and without peer should you want to take a guest, especially a young one.
Towers would be pretty ideal for new, antsy hunters. I use a lot of ground blinds, and that works too.
Is there very much to learn about using a harness correctly?
i built my first tower blind last year,we killed 7 deer out of it last season. its real nice on long shots ,you can get a rest . i shot one buck at 312 yds. mine is used mostly for hunting around standing corn and its on wheels so i can move if needed. i'm now think about building a light weight tripod stand ,infact i'm toying with adding 2 legs to one of my ladderstands,with the right brasing and by not going very tall it should very strong. i only need to get abover the corn,any higher and the deer will spot me easier.

before building the blind i mainly hunted from ladderstands ,i do own a ground blind but haven't used it very much. if its dry moving is so noisy i hunt from the stands,if its wet i really like to get on the move.
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Not a good one. The harness' that come with the tree stands suck. The mid price 50-80$ ones are pretty stright forward, the $100-150 ones are real easy, but not cheap.

What's your life worth?

My kids will get the good one.

Just don't snug it around your neck. Kidding aside, they are very easy to use. Not much to them at all once you do it once or twice. Just follow the instructions that comes with it and you'll be fine.
Never hunted out of a tower blind. With a million trees to choose from here, really no need to build a tower. laugh

Favorite is still hunting, but if I'm going to "stand", it will be on the ground or a small (portable) treestand.
A-1 what Tzone said. Buy a quality harness. This is one thing you don't want to skimp on!
Up in Wisconsin I use a climbing stand, usually. There are plenty of suitable trees. I have an Ol' Man Multi Vision, a Lone Wolf Alpha and still need to try out the Summit Viper I picked up last Fall.

In Texas I use a box stand on the ground, since it's on a fairly high spot, but I may still elevate it to 10', or so.
For all of my first 20+ years of hunting, I hunted out of tree stands. Where I hunt, there are plenty of trees. Then, about 8 years ago, I got the chance to hunt in AL in tower blinds. Life has never been the same, especially when hunting on rainy or cold & windy days. The fact that all of my hunting is from stands of some type and that I'm not a bow hunter greatly influences my preference for tower blinds. So, IMO what is there not to like? I still hunt in MS from tree stands but one day.....
Originally Posted by tzone

the $100-150 ones are real easy, but not cheap.

That certainly sounds reasonable for something so important, what are some GOOD models, what do you use?

That certainly sounds reasonable for something so important, what are some GOOD models, what do you use?

Hunter safety system pro is what I use.

https://secure.huntersafetysystem.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1
I use the HSS-1 and my son uses the 'Lil Treestalker HSS-8 pictured on the Hunter Safety Systems site.

They are easy to put on or take off and are very comfortable. Best of all, you can put them on at the truck and walk in wearing them so no comotion at the stand.

All of our ladder stand sites have a tree strap and a screw carabiner waiting for use, so we only need to wear the harness to the stand.

I'll admit to wearing mine only when I'm tired or the wind is up... But my son, he wears his, period. And he actually won't hunt without it.

As far as stand type, until this year, I rarely considered a tower stand and hunted two man ladder stands for the most part. But it was so darned cold and windy so many days, that I would spend time freezing in a ladder stand thinking of how cozy a tower blind would be. There were days when I chose what I thought would be a second rate choice ground blind just to be comfortable and to be able to hunt.

JPK
I like the tower blinds personally
I have hunted out of both.I now use a tower that is 20 feet tall.It was 25 and we called it the white knucletower.
It has a bathroom propane heater in it and it lets you stay out all day.You still get cold but I think that seeing the fire tricks you into being warmer.
Stands are the way for me. I feel I miss the deer coming in or skirting my plots if I'm in a box. Open windows all around is ok but seems like they catch your movement if you are not careful, same as a stand. Just my opinion, but you asked for it.[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
In my old age where comfort is important I stick with box blinds either ground or tower.
I have sat enough trees with cold rain running down my neck.

Of course I only hunt my own land so that makes a difference too.

BCR
Nothing like cold rain down your back to keep you awake and alert!

Hunters Safety Systems is about the easiest one you'll get. It's a vest w/ seatbelt type straps and buckles that come arond you groin area. 20 seconds max.

https://secure.huntersafetysystem.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4

or the Ameristep Safety Vest.

I have the climbing Safety Vest. A bit more complicated than the HS Systems vest. For what it's worth, I'll be getting the HS System by hunting season.

Here's the link to Ameristep.

http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/harnesses.html
I worked industrial construction for several years. If you have anything like that near you, hit up the pawn shops for harnesses. Scaffold builders will swipe them and the pawn shops will turn them pretty cheap usually.

Of course, they're not camo...
I prefer a Climbing tree stand over a tower blind. If you have a ladder stand positioned correctly in the right terrain that is a good choice as well . Property I hunted had both and there were areas where a climber could not be used and a tower blind was constructed for that area. You usually have much better visibility with a climber or ladder stand then a shoot house.
I use towers only because there are no trees on my place taller than shrubs.
they both have there place. I prefer lock on tree stands.

DEERHUNTER58, is that a pile of yellow gold on the ground?
500#'s. That was an early season deer, before the rut but was with a doe. Still had velvet hanging on the rack if you look on the right side (looking at pic)and I mounted it that way. Corn works this time of year, but soon after their on acorns and all the bait in the world wont attract them. Not too bad for a southern deer huh?
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
spot and stalk...

That's my approach ... but I don't hunt whitetails.

Probably my input is not worth much, but since this thread triggered some thoughts I'm going to share them. Worth almost what you're paying me for.

I'd like to win the lottery so I could buy a power company boom truck. Paint it camo, drive out into a few square mile sage patch, plant the feet so it doesn't tip over, and hydraulic myself up about one power pole high, then glass, call, or whatever. You could enclose the basket and add electric heat even.

Oh well, I can't win the lottery, they seem to think I have to buy a ticket first.

Tom
My brothers and I hunt in south Texas. The only trees around are twisted mesquite with no room for a climbing tree stand. We use box blinds. I guess you could put a climbing stand on a palm tree, but hunting is not allowed on highway right of way or mall parking lots.
Originally Posted by DEERHUNTER58
500#'s. That was an early season deer, before the rut but was with a doe. Still had velvet hanging on the rack if you look on the right side (looking at pic)and I mounted it that way. Corn works this time of year, but soon after their on acorns and all the bait in the world wont attract them. Not too bad for a southern deer huh?

Heck yea, great deer. It will make a great mount with the velvet on. Nicely done!
I believe that deer will learn your stand locations and move around them in time. We have seen this in our clubs.

If you like to hunt deer other than when they are in the rut, consider a climber, also.
To me, comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. I think the answer "it depends" is appropriate.

Many areas here in the South, at covered with trees and you can hand a lock-on in almost any of then, or find a straight one that is not too big or too small and use a climber. Ladder stands are another option, and to me, are like a combination of the two. We even wrap the sides of "buddy stands" with burlap or other material and some even have tops on them to keep you our of the weather.

I am not a huge fan of tri-pods or box blinds (raised or ground level). I always feel constricted and feel like i am hunting out of window or that I will be looking one direction (out a window) and something will show up in the opposite direction. Then I will have to ease around, not bump the sides of the tower, open a window or ease the rifle out the opening.... You get the point.

On the other hand, out West or in Texas or Mid-West, there are rarely trees that would be suitable for a climber. The use of a lock-on is sometimes better suited, then the option is there for a ladder. if in a clear-cut or a field, a box or tower blind is often the best option, again, that is if you have no suitable trees.

Like I said, Apples to Oranges but both are good options depending on what your onjectived are and what your surrounding either require or allow.
If I owned a piece of property, I would construct a nice box stand. Would be a great way to get kids in the woods.

When it's just me, I'm always on the ground still hunting or in a ground blind, etc. Though staying put in any stand long term has never been my thing.

CLB
Tower stands have certain advantages that you simply can't put into words...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And in the right location, they can produce some pretty decent deer...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq130/santeerangerman/c8.jpg[/img]

All these bucks were killed from our tower that over looks a 10 acre field that borders a very large swamp in the South Carolina lowcountry. SC doesn't have the size of bucks that you'll see in most parts of the country, but are pretty good by our standards.
This is a drawing of the stand we built.
[img]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq130/santeerangerman/Grandpasrockingchairstand.jpg[/img]
I sure love mine. Espically when the temps drop below zero here in Wisconsin. It dont happen alot but if it does it make sitting all day alot more comfortable.

[Linked Image]
Where in the lowcountry? I've been hunting in Ridgeland, but leaving for Ga. border with Alabama this year. Nice bucks BTW

Jack
© 24hourcampfire