Home
Posted By: icedog Bullet choice for 250 Savage? - 08/03/10
I've got an older (1915) 1899 Savage in "250-3000", with the 1/14 twist. While not a collector, it is in excellent condition, and I want to use it for a deer hunt this year. The 90 gr Sierra bthp over 4064 gives good accuracy, and I read earlier that some used it as a deer cartridge, and found it effective. After purchasing 2 boxes and doing load development, I ran across another thread where many suggested the bullet is too explosive, and thus unreliable as a deer cartridge. Thoughts, suggestions, alternatives?
whats not going to be explosive in a light weight 257?

only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the 87 gr spire point
A well respected alternative is the 87 grain Speer Hot Cor. There's a lot of good chatter about that one.
Go to the Midway website and find the Sierra 90gr HPBT bullet, then read the customer comments. They are using it in 257 Weatherby, 25-06 & other high velocity rifles and commenting on its good performance. A couple commented on the great performance on game and the accuracy in their Savage rifles. There was one comment about it being the most accurate bullet he had found for the 14" twist of his 250 Sav.

If it will work for them, it ought to work for you.
I've always used the Speer 87 gr Hot Cor, very effective on Virginia Whitetails
FWIW, the 90 grain Sierra BTHP was my "go to" deer bullet in the 250-3000, 250AI, 25 Souper, 257 Roberts, and 257AI for about 20 years. I always had good success with lung shots, usually with a hole that you could put your hand through the rib cage and into the pleural cavity full of lung pudding. I never had a through-through penetration with either of the Sierra BTHP Gamekings and never found a complete bullet in the off-side ribs, just bits and pieces.

Then the problems started.

Within the span of just a couple of months, I had 2 of the .257" 90 grain BTHPs and 2 of the .243" 85 grain BTHPSs blow up when they hit and in all 4 cases failed to penetrate through the rib and into the lungs. If it happened once, I'd say that "stuff happens" and would have continued to use them. But 4 times looks like a trend to me and since there are so many other .257" bullets available, I switched to the 87 grain Speer HotCore in my 1 in 14" ROT 250-3000s.

I have also had good success with the old, discontinued, 75 grain Original Barnes X bullets, but they won't shoot good group for some people and in some rifles. I have a hord of them, but don't need to shoot too many, as the 75 grain VMax shoots to the same POA in my 1 in 14" ROT Wincehster 70s in 250-3000 and 25 WSSM.

Bottom line, for me, is that the 87 grain Speer is a much better, more reliable, penetrator then the 90 grain Sierra BTHP Gameking. I do like the 90 grain BTHP for coyotes in the 25 WSSM and 25-284, but will no longer use them for game, just varmints and paper.

Jeff
80 grain barnes TTSX.
I am relatively new to hunting with a 250-3000. I was a basic 30 cal guy. UNTIL I rounded up a nice model 1920 Savage and a 99 EG. Both 1/14" ROT and I use the Hornady 87 grain spire point. I push it a 3017 FPS and have killed 4 deer with that load. All 1 shot kills. This is one of them.

[Linked Image]

And this is the heart.

[Linked Image]

I do have quite a supply of Speer 87 grain hot cores, I just haven't had the opportunity to shoot any of them as yet.
I have heard mixed results on the 80 grain TTSX in a 1 in 14" ROT barrel. Some say they shoot good groups and some say that they are too long for a 1 in 14" ROT barrel.

I haven't shot any myself, but want to try them in the 1 in 10" ROT 25 WSSM Winchester/USRA 70 stainless Ultimate Shadow.

Jeff
The 80 TTSX is indeed marginal for 1-14 twist barrels.

Part of the problem is that some of the older Savage barrels varied a little in twist rate. I had a take-down Model 1899 that drove me nuts for a while. Most 1-14 twist .250's will shoot the 100-grain Speer Hot-Cor spitzer very well, because it's about the shortest 100-grain .25 spitzer. But that rifle simply would not group the Speer 100 into less than about 3-4".

One day I finally measured the twist (duh!)and found it was actually around 1-15 rather than 1-14. I then tried the 87 Hot-Cor and the rifle started shooting very well.

In most actual 1-14 twists the 100 Speer Hot-Cor and 100 Hornady Interlock Spire point will stabilize and shoot quite well. At typical .250 muzzle velocities of 2800 or so they also work perfectly on deer, expanding readily yet penetrating pretty darn well.
Longbeard is that a M54 chambered for the 250 Savage?Sure looks like one from here..... smile

VERY cool! wink
Gee I don't know Bob, I'm guessing a Savage 1920, cuzz it sure ain't an EG

1920 Savage and a 99 EG
Originally Posted by Steelhead

1920 Savage and a 99 EG

Once again,,,,,,,,,,you ARE correct...................1920 Savage!!!!
Originally Posted by Steelhead

1920 Savage and a 99 EG

My mistake! Sorry guys I have only heard of it but never seen one in the flesh.Nice!
Thanks for the informative discussion guys. I think I'll hunt down some of the Speer hot cores, or Hornady spires and see how they shoot for me. While I'm tempted to use some of my Sierras, I may end up relegating them to paper punching duties.

260Remguy....about how fast were you delivering those Sierras that blew up on the ribs w/o penetrating? I note you were using them in a few chamberings besides the 250 Savage.
Haven't been lucky enough to get a shot at a deer yet with the 250 Savage, but have taken antelope. The 87gr Speer Hot Core worked beautifully, wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer.

Did hunt with a 250 this last fall trying for a doe or two, just no luck.

[Linked Image]

BobinNH, keep an eye out for those Savage 1920's. In 250 Savage they run quite a bit, but they weigh under 6 pounds. They are a sweetheart of a rifle to hold and you'll fall in love with them very fast.
Calhoun, so I have heard.They must be pretty rare as I have just never bumped into one.I mentioned the M54 cause a friend has one in 250 Savage. Did see a Hoffman Arms rifle on a Kurtz 98 Mauser in 250 Savage once; Shelhammer stock.....to die for;could not afford it frown
My experience is that when a Savage Model 1920 does pop up, you WILL pay for the pleasure and pay dearly! Unless you let one slip like I did!
There were a number of Savage 1920s and 20/26s in ME/NH/VT during the 1980, but many of the good examples in both 250-3000 and 300 came to live with me before I moved to Omaha in 1990.

Jeff
John have you seen any?
Posted By: Goat Re: Bullet choice for 250 Savage? - 08/06/10
I have use the Sierra 90gr HPBT to kill 27 deer. 26 were from my 25/06 and they were pushed along at a chronographed 3400fps.I have an uncle who has shot them exclusively in his 25/06 and has never lost a deer and he has killed many, many more than I have. I used that bullet in my 250 Savage two years ago to kill one doe at about 60 yards. She was shot through the shoulders and dropped on the spot with complete penetration. Our bullets were bought in 1991 so they could have changed since then. On a behind the shoulder shot they rarely have stayed in a deer and I have purposely shot them high in the shoulder to break a deer down late in the evening or when hunting near water. I often had complete penetration when breaking shoulders but not always. I should note that most shots were pretty short range where velocity was still up there. I do not dispute the other poster's experience but know that in the older version it was a devastating deer killer.
I have swapped to 100 Nosler Partitions because of one "failure" with the 90gr Sierra HPBT. I shot on the point of the shoulder on a mature doe quartering to me. The bullet hit the ball joint of the shoulder and exploded. It blew bone and lead fragments all through the lungs and the deer went down with in 35 yards. The problem for me was that there was no blood until the animal hit the ground. If I had been hunting in one of the extremely thick spots I like to frequent it could have been trouble. I have never had any such problem with the Nosler but realize it will most likely not shoot in the 1 in 14" twist gun.
Bottom line to me... If you can find some "old" Sierras they work, new ones I don't know.
Goat
87g Speers worked for me, along with the Sierra 90g BTHP in 25/06...87g Speer is tougher.

With either of these bullets, they are not explosive, but I do place my shots behind the shoulder as a matter of practice.

I like the 100 gr. Hornady SP, they have been very reliable and effective in my .257 Roberts.
© 24hourcampfire