Home
Posted By: Winnie Can i make a scent cover? - 08/07/10
I am a DIY kind of person. I was looking at Bass Pro for a cover scent, but i thought i might try to make a bottle myself. If you have a recipe you would like to share please post it for others(and me) to see.
Have you significant other piss in an empty olive jar just before menstruation.

If your significant other is a dude you are on your own.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/07/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Have you significant other piss in an empty olive jar just before menstruation.

If your significant other is a dude you are on your own.

You can try that first Steelhead. Sounds a bit stinky.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/07/10
This is shaping up to be an interesting night...

Ingwe
Hows that Ingwe?
Actually thinking about trying to catch some skunk piss in midair and mix with some fresh gound up pine cones. Boil it down to a jell and use as a deoderent during deer season.
In order to replicate doe in heat scents you need to use your own feces. Because men are the opposite of women, the hormones are similar when using opposing excretions. This concoction can be used to confuse deer when you bottle your own fecal matter and THEN pee on it. It works great with both elk and deer. Trust, me I'm a biologist.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/07/10
Yes and another thing...

You ever heard of the "Still Steaming" scents?

You too can make your own right outta your treestand.....fresh all of the time.

Works too.
Those work great if you have to use the bathroom in your stand. No stands for me I am more of a spot and stalk guy.

Urine doesn't bother deer, but spit on anything and your done.

Posted By: ColdBore Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/07/10
Originally Posted by ingwe
This is shaping up to be an interesting night...

Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Hows that Ingwe?

Figured it out yet? laugh
Posted By: bucktail Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/08/10
When I used to bother with such things, I used fennel seeds. Crush a few up. Deer would sniff at the general area. Kind of like they do with certain tree branches, tufts of grass, gut piles, and a bunch of other things that are already there. None of them will distract the deer enough to keep them there if they are down wind of you.

Put yourself in a cedar tree - it'll cover you all by it's own.

But really now - spray your boots with cover scent and don't touch anything with your hands going in and I'm usually good.

Spot
Pine boughs, cedar, tobacco grass, horse/cow manure etc. I've seen guys that hunted Piney woods use turpentine on their boots to cover their scent.

JM
Once upon a time I was slipping down an old logging road during muzzleload season and I saw a buck deer standing in the brush and looking at the road about a hundred yards from me. He finally went back the way he came without me getting a shot but as I got to the place he was looking at, there was a wet spot and some toilet paper. I thought to my self "A woman pizzed there". Later that day I saw a man and a woman come back down that same road and I figure she was the one to make that wet spot. I don't have a clue what cycle she was in. miles
Here's another twist. When I was bowhunting the most popular scent cover was "Cover Up." It was about ten bucks a bottle and the bottle was small. I could tell from my very close encounters with deer that it worked very well. It smelled very sweet and much like vanilla extract. I dilluted some vanilla extract and tried it in place of the commercial stuff and it worked just as well. Now, this is all the scent cover I use. It seems to mask the human smell very well.
Human odor is difficult to "cover". It requires some pretty strong smells to hide the stink of man. I use Moth balls.

Moth balls have a very strong odor. A few in your pockets and you are good to go. The deer will not detect your human odor under the scent of moth balls.

Moth balls are effective because it is not a smell that deer are accustomed to. Most deer learn to associate the smell of humans with danger from their mother. When the doe smells human scent and acts "spooky" the fawns quickly learn that particular odor means danger.

Since the smell of moth balls is a new, strange odor, the deer are not spooked by it. They normally display a curiosity and will approach quite closely to check out the strange scent.

The only difficulty involved with using moth balls as a cover scent is trying to get the little moths to spread their legs so you can harvest the balls.

I don't think any scent will fully mask human odor. If the wind is wrong, The deer will smell you and your cover scent.

I think it may dilute it to a point where he will think that you are not an immediate threat and that's just a wild ass guess.

I do know that stand height and being odor free, both clothing and body do help. Years of bowhunting taught me this.

Here is an excellent article on cover scents and the ability of deer to detect different odors simultaneously.

Deer sense of smell and cover scents

i've read that indians ritually used woodsmoke before a hunt. if you think about it, it makes sense to me. i'm sure a deer can smell woodsmoke a LONG way away. i'm also sure that the deer on the property i hunt are quite used to that smell on a daily basis during the wintertime, as every dwelling for 100 miles probably has a woodstove/fireplace.
That is a good article. I've reached some of the same conclusions observing my pointers and their ability to detect scent.
Just look at a dope dog. Smugglers try to cover the scent of dope with everything imagineable and they still detect it.

A deer's nose is at least as good as a dogs. They have more receptors and a larger portion of their brain is devoted to olfactory work.

JM
Hey, we could buy that from Ingwe. grin
Posted By: kcnboise Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/12/10
Here's how I explain cover scents to people. You know when you go to take a big dump, and your wife yells at you to make sure to use the deodorizer spray? What does it smell like after you use the spray? A big dump AND roses. Same with deer - they smell you and the cover scent. It might give you a couple microseconds advantage, but playing the wind is better...
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/13/10
i've used this for many years:

get an empty gallon water jug and add the following:

* 1 bottle (8 oz. i believe)3% hydrogen peroxide (brown bottle from wmt, or any drug store)
* refill bottle with distilled water
* 1/4 cup baking soda
* 1 tblsp scent free body wash liquid (the stuff one takes a shower with prior to hunting)

mix it all in the gallon jug, shake well and let it sit overnight to allow for the chemical reaction between the peroxide and baking soda.

next day, pour some in a spray bottle.

use it just like the expensive stuff sold most places, onlt this mixture costs very little, and works at least as well.

Posted By: hotsoup Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/13/10
also, if you dog gets sprayed by a skunk, this will kill the odor.
Massengill works to remove skunk from a dog. Don't ask how I know.
Have you ever drank that stuff? It's bad.

Kentucky Windage told me so.
Posted By: fester Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/24/10
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Human odor is difficult to "cover". It requires some pretty strong smells to hide the stink of man. I use Moth balls.

Moth balls have a very strong odor. A few in your pockets and you are good to go. The deer will not detect your human odor under the scent of moth balls.

Moth balls are effective because it is not a smell that deer are accustomed to. Most deer learn to associate the smell of humans with danger from their mother. When the doe smells human scent and acts "spooky" the fawns quickly learn that particular odor means danger.

Since the smell of moth balls is a new, strange odor, the deer are not spooked by it. They normally display a curiosity and will approach quite closely to check out the strange scent.

The only difficulty involved with using moth balls as a cover scent is trying to get the little moths to spread their legs so you can harvest the balls.

laugh
That was great!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Can i make a scent cover? - 08/24/10
Deepwoods off works if your in Cedar or Pine. It smells like evergreen scented urinal cakes to me but I have had deer cross down wind of me and not spook when wearing it.

Skunk, Javelina Musk, and Fox pee work some but I think they smell bad to Deer as well as humans.

The hock glands from a rutty buck work well too.
© 24hourcampfire