Home
Posted By: federali Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/14/10
I've sold any number of rifles I should have kept. Four which come to mind are a DCM M1 carbine, a DCM O3A3 Springfield, an M2 Springfield in .22 RF and a Savage 99F in .308. Of these four, perhaps selling the Savage angers me most as I was then a teenager and I had relied on the "sage" advice of an old time hunter who thought he was Jack O'Connor. He said the .308 Savage didn't shoot nearly as far as his .270, thus undermining my confidence in both the gun and caliber. I was inexperienced and so I believed him. The truth is, now with 50 hunting seasons behind me, I never took a deer that could not have been taken with that .308.

Most of the guns I've sold was to raise money to buy other guns. Not so with the Savage. That was sold through ignorance. What about you?
The one I regret selling is a Win Pre64 270 that had the most beautiful stock on it. I to sold it to fund another purchase...biggest mistake, wish I had it back. The gun I bought with the funds has since gone down the road to frown
Ithaca Model 49, .22 single shot.

1. pre-production winny 70 ss featherweight in 270.. gorgeous wood. dumb owner...

national match springfield armory 308 back in 1980, wish I had it.
no rifles but i did trade a Colt Python for a Rem XP100 35 rem... i want to choke myself over that one!
I some how came out [bleep] in that deal.
I had just turned 21 and wanted to buy a handgun. So I sold a sweet handling, super accurate, tang safety Ruger 77 in 6mm Rem to a guy that was just starting to hunt.

I still have the Single Six and he still has the 6mm but doesn't hunt anymore, maybe I'll get the 77 back someday.

Dale
Me too!! grins

at least mike came out ahead!!
I have sold so many that I have lost count of the ones I should have kept. I don't have the money to own them all so some have to go.

Dink
Dad bought me a Remington 700 30/06 that was from the early 70's...rifle was mint and shot the lights out. I was in my late teens and STUPID...traded it after I had killed several deer, a bear and a wolf with it. Wish I could have a do-over! Sorry Dad!

Erich
I mourn the loss of quite a few...but the two that I particularly regret the loss of are:

1956 Brno ZG47 deluxe in .270 win.

B model 1927 Waffenfabrik Oberndorf single square bridge with factory fitted Zeiss Zielvier in factory fitted Akah detachable mounts...in 7x57.

The Mauser I sold as I required cash.....the Brno went to my Brother for half of what I paid as that was all he had, and I wanted him to start with good gear.
He still has the ZG47 and a 1958 Brno model 5 that I sold him at the same time....and hopefully he will not part with either!
Posted By: erich Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/15/10
An Epps Enfield with a one piece stock in 35/303. The guy I bought it from told me it was a 303, most of the bullets went sideways through the target sideways and groups wern't too good. I was 16 at the time and didn't even know what a wildcat was and didn't even know you could reload rifle shell. Got rid of it real quick, still think about that rifle, wish I had it now.

erich
Sold a Marlin 39A "Golden Mountie" to buy my first handgun back in the early '80s.. still regret that choice. A lot of memories hunting squirrels and rabbits with that gun in the woods of PA. Very accurate and all around fun to shoot.
A Winchester Featherweight 270 with highly figured wood and shot everything great. That one will haunt me til I die.
The first centerfire I ever owned; Marlin 336 .30-30. Of all of them, I'd love to have that one back.
[Linked Image]

I missed my first deer with that rifle...
A Ruger M77RS carbine in .358 Winchester,

an FN Mauser Supreme in .250-3000,

I think I need to stop right here...
Posted By: tzone Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/15/10
Win. M70 Classic feather weight, ss/walnut in 6.5x55.
savage 99 take down in 38-55
Stainless Marlin 44 mag carbine. Ouch.
It wasn't much but it sure filled a big gap in my rifle assortment.

Ruger boat paddle stocked M77 stainless 30-06. It wasn't pretty and had scracthes up and down. But I used it for a rough weather rifle and it worked like a champ.
I've got no regrets, so far. Maybe I haven't done this long enough.

Sold a Savage 11 - didn't fit, didn't shoot. No regrets.

Sold a Post 64 Model 70 in 7x57. Almost too beautiful to hunt with, and LOP didn't work for me at all. I didn't cry, because I already had a 700 MR in 7x57 that fits like a glove.

Actually, I regret buying some rifles. I've got 3 in the safe right now that I'd be glad to sell, but not 'til the gun market crawls back out of the [bleep].

FC
Only one that I really regret. A Sako varmiter in 222 Rem Mag. I just HAD to have a mini 14. Boy was I a dumb azz.

BCR
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/15/10
Remington Model 700 mountain Rifle..7x57.... frown

Ingwe
I let a Rem 760 pump in .30-06 go to the friend of a friend for cheap. It was a tackdriver, that I never respected. At one time I had a brace of High Standard Double Nines .22's with the fax ivory grips. I cannot even remember what they were traded for. I must be pretty lucky for these three to come to mind.

I had an 8" Colt Anaconda camo .44mag with matching factory scope that I traded for a NIB Win X3 auto 3 1/2" 12ga. Not one of my better trades, but I needed a goose gun and I have always been happy with the X3.
Sold a Ruger #1 25-06. It was heavy barreled. Great shooter,
but I was tired of carrying it. Killed lots of deer with it and still would be if I'd had a lick of sense back then.

stumpy
I sold a Savage bolt-action 30-30 for $110, which was $20 more than I'd paid for it new, and I thought that I was a real smart guy. Ya, right. It would have been a perfect first deer rifle for my son now.
Where to begin...

BSA Monarch featherweight deluxe (IIRC) 30-06 in mint condition;
Belgian Browning Safari 30-06 in mint condition;
Pre '64 (1947 transition) Win M70 30-06 in 95% condition;
Ruger M77 243 (most accurate rifle I ever shot);
S&W M25-5 with <7# DA trigger pull;
Weatherby MkV Deluxe lightweight 30-06;
Ruger M77MkII 30-06;
Savage 1899 30-30;
Winchester M70 Classic featherweight 6.5x55;
Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga.

There's more, but that's enough.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/15/10
Immaculate TCR 83 - 223. Traded for Rem 700 22-250.
Not the best move I ever made!

Jim
Springfield Armory M1a Bush Rifle. frown
I also sold or traded in a Marlin Maurader in .35 Rem. Like the very next day, the rifle became a collectible and prices soared. Sort of how I trade stocks: buy high, sell low.
I allowed an as new Browning BLR in 7mm-08 to slip through my fingers. I traded an additional Marlin 336, also in .35, which I just replaced, having found a very clean and original condition walk-around at a local gun show.

Then there was the Winchester Model 92 I bought for $15.00 and sold for $25.00, thinking I made a killing. Funny, I don't remember the dealer telling me to turn around and bend over. A very sweet Browning auto-5, Light-20 that never left the safe got unloaded for something else.
Posted By: DJTex Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/15/10
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Only one that I really regret. A Sako varmiter in 222 Rem Mag. I just HAD to have a mini 14.

BCR

For a mini 14...OUCH!!

We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen! Grin!

DJ
I had a Browning A-Bolt 22 rifle that I sold that just makes me sick to this day. It was very accurate but it had no bolt lock when it was on safe; it would climb open all the time when it was slinged on the shoulder. I still wish I had kept it as it matched my other A-bolts and ammo is awful expensive now so it would be cheap to shoot.
ive got one of them and i'm not too impressed with it..
Posted By: ChipM Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/16/10
Too many to count but some have been:
Marlin 444, Marlin 35 Rem, CZ 452 FS, Rem 7600 Carbine, Weatherby 308 Carbine, Weatherby 25-06, S&W Mod 19 6" 357, Marlin 32-20, SKB 686 O/U the list goes on and on.

At one time, me and the wife were struggling when we first got married. I sold alot very cheap.

But that is being a gun nut..guns come and guns go
weatherby fiber mark 30-06 and a remington mountian rifle dm .243
Rem MTN Rifle in 260AI, DM and all, with a Leupold VXII 3-9x40, It was BEAUTiFUL. Had the same in 280 also, sold that one too. Something about a short action that is just better.
Originally Posted by Brent13
Something about a short action that is just better.

I couldn't agree more. My first rifle was a Rem 700 BDL 308 Winchester. I sold it & of course, through the river of trades since then I wish I had it back. I was able to find the same last year & snatched it up.

I am more happy for what I have now & that is a Sako 85 in 300 WSM. Eventually & hopefully next year I plan to have a custom 300 WSM built by Borden.
Posted By: mpmax Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/16/10
College.....Sold off all my guns for $75 each (1983). Miss a Winchester model 66 -70's production- most of all.
GA precision 30-06 in a McMillan A2 stock

Posted By: AMRA Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/16/10
We had a break in a few years ago and they made off with my
baby a Weatherby 338-06 ultra lt. wt.
Winchester Model 12 my brother gave me 12 ga.
S&W 629 44 mag I had over 20 years
My turkey gun Browning BPS 10 ga.
Weatherby Mark V ultra lt wt 270 WIN. with Leupie Vari X III
4.5-14x40
Remington 870 slug gun w/ rifle sights
Custom Robar Browning BAR 7 mm Rem Mag
TC Encore 30-06 Camo Dipped
Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag
Savage 99 308 Win. not a collector but a deer getter with style.
Browning 1895 30-06 NO tang safety!
WBY Mark V stainless 30-378 wby mag
Wife`s S&W Chiefs Spc. Nickel 38 spc.
Desert Eagle STAINLESS 50 AE
Randall Model 11 Alaskan Skinner with stag handle w/ sheath
Randall Firemans special s.s. w/ sheath.
I miss the WBY 338-06 THE MOST
AMRA,
I am sorry that happened to you. What is most sickening is the burglars probably sold those guns for not much more than $100-200 each. God will make them pay.
The one I miss the most was also stolen.

It was one of the first 500 MRC actions witha Lilja bbl chambered in 243AI. I sure liked that rifle. It was a shooter and a lot of fun.

Someone has Montana action in a bowling ball green Micky stock and probably has no idea what they have. I'd love to have it back
Ditto on the break in. We had a break in back in the late eighties:

My Great Grandmother's 28 gauge S/S Tabb Brothers hammer gun, in NRA 90%. She even had written her name under the butt plate.

The first rifle I learned to restore with my grandfather: Springfield Armoury sell/off 30.40 Krag my grandfather bought for $5.00 many years ago. I spent @ a month bringing the military stock back up to a nice hand rubbed Tung oil finish, and refinishing the metal work to as new condition. Looked like a museum piece with all of the stamps and proofs intact. I made a custom case to place it in to show it off. They left the case.
The rest:
03/A3 Smith Corona pre-stamped metal
M1 Garand my grandfather gave me.
Remington M1 carbine
Berreta AL2
Citori 12ga
Early model Ithica 16ga pump
Charles Daly 20 ga O/U
Series 70 Colt full sized .45acp
My first sigle shot bolt action rifle,.22LR Savage,
My grandfather taught me how to shoot with.

Of all of them I would like to have my great grandmother's S/S and that Kragg back. The stories that my grandparents told of them and that time period were priceless. Maybe the Beretta as well, it was like an extension of my arm. Shot my first NSSA 100 straight with it on the skeet range.
Pre 64 M70 300 Win Mag.

First child just born, thought I was broke.. Kick myself often on that one.
As the thread starter, I too feel especially bad for those of you who lost prized guns through theft. It would seem that rifles chambered in wildcat cartridges might be more easily traceable as some one either has to be looking for ammo or if he knows anything about guns, he'll have to bring it to a smith to identify the chambering if it isn't marked on the barrel.

I would encourage everyone to invest in a strong safe, then anchor it to something like a concrete floor. Handguns especially. Stolen guns often end up in criminals' hands with the end result that liberals scream for yet more gun control.

I do hope all your lost guns are recovered.
Posted By: Teal Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/16/10
Every one of my Rugers.
federali,

Thank you for your thoughts. One thing it did do was increase our general awareness about security. We live pretty far out of the way and did not even think about someone breaking in.

Right after the incident we had a good alarm installed and formed a neighborhood watch group. Secondarily, replaced the Colt with a Belgium Highpower and started attending classes on how to use it correctly. Burned up many cases of ammunition and prayed I would never have to use it.

Although the loss of the family heirlooms was/is painful...It would be nothing compared to loosing a family member. As a family we have taken the appropriate steps to protect all of us incase the next break in is while we are at home.

I would urge all to do the same. The next time it may be your house. Like you, we never thought it would happen to us either.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Remington Model 700 mountain Rifle..7x57.... frown

Ingwe

Me, too on that one....this thread is too depressing to comment further.
Posted By: SKane Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/17/10
Bob, I can think of one more you should have kept. wink grin
22 Gebby Varminter built on a VZ24 action by Emil Koshollek
Don't remind me.....like I said.....painful frown
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/17/10
Remington rolling block .45-70 with double set triggers. Winchester 70 .375 with a 3-digit serial number. Winchester 94 "exhibition grade" .25-35. Couple double rifles. A exposed hammer cape gun in .30-40 x 12 guage. Pristine, "above base grade" Win 95 .405.

(Bunch more stuff I've had that I don't particularly miss.)

More mundane stuff, marlin cowboy .38-55, winchester 94 trapper .30-30, 700 Sendero in 7mm STW, Ruger #1H SS .375 H&H.

Someone out there has some nice guns that used to be mine.

Tom
How did your insurance claim turn out on that loss?

Originally Posted by AMRA
We had a break in a few years ago and they made off with my
baby a Weatherby 338-06 ultra lt. wt.
Winchester Model 12 my brother gave me 12 ga.
S&W 629 44 mag I had over 20 years
My turkey gun Browning BPS 10 ga.
Weatherby Mark V ultra lt wt 270 WIN. with Leupie Vari X III
4.5-14x40
Remington 870 slug gun w/ rifle sights
Custom Robar Browning BAR 7 mm Rem Mag
TC Encore 30-06 Camo Dipped
Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag
Savage 99 308 Win. not a collector but a deer getter with style.
Browning 1895 30-06 NO tang safety!
WBY Mark V stainless 30-378 wby mag
Wife`s S&W Chiefs Spc. Nickel 38 spc.
Desert Eagle STAINLESS 50 AE
Randall Model 11 Alaskan Skinner with stag handle w/ sheath
Randall Firemans special s.s. w/ sheath.
I miss the WBY 338-06 THE MOST
Posted By: AMRA Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/17/10
I thought we had all of them on our homeowners insurance but my wife God Bless her FORGOT to add them on!!!!
So I was SOOL!!!
S**T OUT OF LUCK!!
It took me over 30 years to put together my perfect for me
collection and one long weekend away to wipe it all out.
Moral of this cluster [bleep] make Dang sure that you have yourtoys
covered by insurance!!!
AMRA
Sako Forester M591 in .243. Beautiful wood and more accurate than most shooters. Sold it to buy a pistol. I regret it to this day.
fishnpbr: Sako Forester--a truly great rifle and one that didn't get away from me. I have two: one in the original configuration in .243 and a custom made rifle in 7mm-08 built on a Forester action. Incidentally, I have the original .243 barrel from my custom rifle just sitting around if you ever need it.
Posted By: Cigar Re: Rifles You Should Have Kept? - 09/18/10
Great you just had to remind me...

300win Custom... It had a Mauser action with a [bleep](sp) stock.... Someone poured a ton of money in it to have it built and got it for a song when I was a kid..
Mossberg model 640K in 22 mag. It shot great. Shortly after my first wife and I divorced, had someone break into my apartment and they stole my rem m700 in 6mm rem. It was a great prarie dog and coyote rifle, very accurate with 80 grain speers.
Had a Mossberg 500 20 gauge and a Remington 788 in .30-30 that my parents worked so hard for so little for me to have. Not a great financial pair but a lot to us at the time. Regret that I sold them for beer money when drinking and chasing women were more important to me than anything. Too bad you have to get older to learn these lessons.
A cheap little .410 single shot made in brazil that my grandmother gave to me for a squirrel gun. Id go kill the squirrels and she'd fry em up. Man I miss that woman and that little shotgun. Some jackass stole it out of my bedroom when I still lived at home with the parents. Thats been 20 years ago and it still tears me up that I dont have it anymore.
I sold the Ruger #1V 6mm Rem that I killed my first deer with.
Stupid.

I sold the Winchester 70 338 WM that I killed my first elk with.
Stupid.

When my son is old enough to have some guns I'll make sure any special ones get sold back to dad if he just has to sell them for some adventure or another.
I had a Winchester Model 88 - serial number 3636 that I bought a few years ago for $250 and sold for $500

I didn't know that Winchester was going out of business or that the gun was probably worth $1000 or more. It was in mint condition - other then the fact that someone put a scope on it.

I shot one doe with it and it ran 50 yards and died.
The 50 yards it ran was towards me and the camp, so it wasn't a bad thing to have happen. It patterned like a marksman rifle, 5 shots at 100 yards that you could cover with a quarter.
When I was 15, I worked in a park one summer for minimum wage and I had saved up all my money and at the end of summer I spent most of my money on school clothes.

I went to a parts store and bought a set of fog lights for my dads Blazer and a couple of records at the old G.C. Murphy's store.

Mom was saving my money for me and I didn't know what had happened with the rest until one day when dad took me to Jamesway and bought me a 20 gauge Model 500 shotgun for $99 on sale.

If I would have known that the SOB was going to buy me a gun with my money, I would have saved all my money and had him take me to a gun store and pick me up a Remington Model 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge and not a 20 Gauge Mossberg.

I got lucky and traded the Mossberg to a friend for a Remington Sportsman 48 - 16 gauge. The nicest little shotgun you ever saw. Just that the shells cost twice as much as did the 20 gauge. Well one day I was in the market for a rifle and my brother saw this old, rusty model 1100 on the rack at the gun store and told me to buy it and if I didn't want it, he would buy it off me. I think I paid $250 for it.

A friend who was turning 12 at the time wanted the Semi and I gave him the ridiculous price of $275 for the whole kit and kaboodle 16 gauge and all my shells. His dad and Uncle was playing cards at the time and they reached into their pockets and took the pot off the table and counted it out for me and told me to go down the road and get the gun.
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Ditto on the break in. We had a break in back in the late eighties:

My Great Grandmother's 28 gauge S/S Tabb Brothers hammer gun, in NRA 90%. She even had written her name under the butt plate.

The first rifle I learned to restore with my grandfather: Springfield Armory sell/off 30.40 Krag my grandfather bought for $5.00 many years ago. I spent @ a month bringing the military stock back up to a nice hand rubbed Tung oil finish, and refinishing the metal work to as new condition. Looked like a museum piece with all of the stamps and proofs intact. I made a custom case to place it in to show it off. They left the case.
The rest:
03/A3 Smith Corona pre-stamped metal
M1 Garand my grandfather gave me.
Remington M1 carbine
Berreta AL2
Citori 12ga
Early model Ithica 16ga pump
Charles Daly 20 ga O/U
Series 70 Colt full sized .45acp
My first sigle shot bolt action rifle,.22LR Savage,
My grandfather taught me how to shoot with.

Of all of them I would like to have my great grandmother's S/S and that Kragg back. The stories that my grandparents told of them and that time period were priceless. Maybe the Beretta as well, it was like an extension of my arm. Shot my first NSSA 100 straight with it on the skeet range.

Most break in's involves people that you know or showed the guns to, not a complete stranger that took a chance and found your guns by accident. I would look for someone who was really desperate such as a drug addict or a really bad alcoholic. Sooner or later, someone always talks.

I know a guy who's brother in law died and left the family a room full of guns and the gun shops got so tired of taking one or two guns a week in for dope money that they were offering them $75 for Winchesters and Remington rifles by the time they were done, and the people were taking it - because they needed the money for dope.

Where was I at when they were selling $1000 7MM's and $800 Browning rifles for $75?

The gun shops are just as much to blame as is the people who steals them. I won't take a gun on a trade or buy it outright unless I know the person and get them to sign a bill of sale. I had a guy burn me once on a gun that looked just like a Weatherby - because it was a model 1917 Enfield rifle that was converted to .300 Weatherby Magnum. The guy made sure to show up after dark, stopped at every gun store along the way, trying to pawn it off. Waited until dark - because the barrel was shot out. Then tried to jew me on the gun that I was trading. I put more money into the gun he traded me then what a brand new Weatherby cost and couldn't hit a pie plate two times in a row at 100 yards.

When he traded it - he acted like as if he didn't know a thing about guns, even though it was his fathers rifle and his father had died - was what his story was.
When I called him, after shooting it - he said, if it was a real Weatherby - do you think that I would have sold it so cheap? All of a sudden he was a gun expert.

It wasn't worth driving 75 miles one way to go strangle the guy and I already had $350+ into replacing the scope mount and the scope and ammo. The guy was a real thief.

If you watch the trade papers real careful, even now, you might get lucky one day and find a relative of the person who stole your guns, looking to get rid of them for a couple of dollars. They don't just disappear. That is why you should always write the serial numbers down!
Originally Posted by Daveman
I sold a Savage bolt-action 30-30 for $110, which was $20 more than I'd paid for it new, and I thought that I was a real smart guy. Ya, right. It would have been a perfect first deer rifle for my son now.

Hindsight is always 20/20

My Uncle had a Model 94 Winchester 30/30 that my brother and I borrowed a couple of times for deer hunting. We never shot anything with the gun and my dad invested in a set of dies, a couple of cans of powder and a couple hundred bullets.

When my Uncles son turned 12, he was too small he thought to hunt with his Remington 760 Gamemaster 30/06, so his dad went out and bought him one of those Savage 30-30 rifles.

Now dad and Uncle Bob doesn't get along and Uncle Bob figures that since the die's and bullets has been at his house so long that they belong to him and dad is too proud to go over to Uncle Bobs and divey up the reloading stuff and now we are going to get screwed when dad kicks the bucket.

There is probably 10 bricks of primers, 20 cans of powder, 40 boxes of bullets - all Sierra's. Dies for everything.

At one time, my dad and my grandfather and my Uncle were 3rdsy's on everything - because my dad had a bad experience with my mom's brother in law, giving away his Sierra bullets, and so dad got smart and went out and bought his own reloading stuff and they split the cost.

Only my dad is a hoarder and for every box of bullets that they split the cost on, dad bought two more with his own money. The same with the powder and primers.
Then when there was 3 of us shooting and only Uncle Bob and his son, Uncle Bob ran his mouth and said that it was unfair that there was 3 of us shooting and only two of them, yet they were splitting the cost of the reloading supplies.

Like as if you could shoot 40 boxes of shells in his lifetime when all you shot was 5 shells a year at the target and maybe 5 shells a year hunting. That's 30 shells a year for my whole family. Dad didn't even count, because he traded me his '06 for a .270 and so everything that was .270 was dad's.

So I bought all new dies and dad bought my other uncles reloading press and we bought all new bullets and powder and primers and put everything down at my brother in laws house and when my sister went nuts and divorced my brother in law, he got a turn key operation, everything was left behind in the reloading room, including all my .300 Winchester Magnum stuff. Now I have to buy shells to go hunting deer, even though I had 20 boxes of 30-06 shells just waiting to be reloaded down at his house.
Originally Posted by Daveman
It wasn`t a model 340 was it ? I have one that I bought at a gun show a few years ago that I might part with.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Ithaca Model 49, .22 single shot.

I had one of those too and I was just thinking about it the other day. I carried that thing many a day checking traps and many a night coon hunting.
Remington 700BDL 243
In 1964 I bought a new .270 Rem 700 ADL for $89. I think it had a 20" barrel. I put a Weaver 4 power scope and recoil pad on it. It was very accurate and I killed a lot of deer with it. In 1970 I got married and decided I had to have another .270 but with a 24" barrel. I bought a Sako Finnbear and still have it. My new wife couldn't see the need for anyone to own 2 rifles and talked me into selling my Rem 700 (I don't have her anymore). I sold it for $100 to a guy who hunted Colorado a lot and wanted it for a backup rifle. I can't remember his exact name any more but it was very unusual. He wrote me a personal check (you could trust people then). His name ended with Special. I mean like John Doe,Special. I've seen a lot of Jr.'s and a few Esquire's but never a Special before or since.
Ruger Mannlicher stocked, chambered in Savage 250/3000 Ackley.

Dang it, I still cry when I think about selling that gun. A buddy really wanted it for his kid. The lad did not like hunting, and sold the rifle to a pawn shop.
Victoro: That name-John Special, I suspect that the guy's real name was Speciale--an Italian name meaning Special. Many Italian names were Americanized. A common one was Casanova, which translates to Newhouse.
A John Rigby 275.
No-one offered to buy it so I am keeping it.
Thanks fella's I am happy to take this as an omen for better hunts ahead.

John
Any of several model 70 CRF's over the years in various calibers from 30-06 through 375. Should have kept at least one of the 338's and a couple of the 375's.
Several Smith Revolvers and some Semi-autos including
Model 19
Model 66
Model 629-3
model 60's
model 642's
Makes me sick to think.
but this is over 40+ years.
Ruger #1b with sights in 270, a couple of skb sxs shotguns, My model 14 k-38. and finally my original nylon 66 and 870 16ga that were my first guns when I was a kid.
I kept all the ones I should have kept. I've only ever gotten rid of one, a crappy AR7 that I got for $30 at a garage sale and it would never feed from the magazine correctly.

I kept all the rest.
I purchased a Colt Mustang "NIB" stainless in .380 for $350. It was useless for hunting but the little brother to my 1911. After not having enough money to purchase a ruger MKII (to hunt squirrels with). I traded even for a used MKII with scope and a brick of shells. I did sell the MKII at a later date. If I knew then how things would change.
I had the best, not NIB, 99F in 250-3000 that I've ever seen and sold it to a collector, Hank Williams, Jr. A few years later, I sold Mr. Williams another 99F, this 1 in 300 Savage, and he told me that he'd given the 99F in 250-3000 to a young hunter. I know that was what they were made for, but it seemed a shame to hunt with such a minty rifle. Oh well, I guess that if I'd wanted it to stay minty, I should have kept it.

Jeff
Well as much as I hate to admit it, I may be the winner in this bearing of souls...
In "78" I was stationed at Camp Lejeune NC, some of my friends and I wanted to go "Court Street" in Jacksonville to drink beer and see titties. Being between paydays I pawned a minty Pre-64 Winchester M-70 Hvy. Bbl in 22 Hornet with an 8X Unertl that my dad had given to me for $200.00....and never went back to get it as we deployed on a Carib. cruise. cry
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
Well as much as I hate to admit it, I may be the winner in this bearing of souls...
In "78" I was stationed at Camp Lejeune NC, some of my friends and I wanted to go "Court Street" in Jacksonville to drink beer and see titties. Being between paydays I pawned a minty Pre-64 Winchester M-70 Hvy. Bbl in 22 Hornet with an 8X Unertl that my dad had given to me for $200.00....and never went back to get it as we deployed on a Carib. cruise. cry

expensive titties. What a rifle!!!
ouch!
I had a older Sako Riimaki 222 that was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned, enter a brainfart and ended up selling it and regretted it ever since. Took everything from rabbits to whitetail with it. Took my first whitetail with it and was a fantastic coyote gun.
I was going to add my Mark-X Mannlicher in 7x57 that X-wife got in the divorce.

Last Saturday, it was returned to it's rightful owner (Me ).
After not having it for over a year, I'm sure going to enjoy it this season.
Dang, I love that rifle!

Ruger Model 77 in .257 Roberts, with the barrel stamped "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty"

College expenses in 1978 frown
I had a Model 760 Remington in .223 which I used for jack rabbits and woodchucks when they used to be abundant around here. It became a closet queen and it was finally sold to a coyote hunter.

The only reason I regret it is because there were so few of them built in the early days. Also it shot like a quality bolt action gun.

Jim
Winchester pre-64 94 in 25-35.

Sold it to finance something that I don't even remember.

Also, a Colt python for $300 back in the 70's (kicks toe in dirt!)

And a Winchester 92 in 218 Bee....The list goes on....(snivels a little!)

Virgil B.
At the time it was a grand idea to pawn that rifle...yes, expensive titties and beer.
My dad held that little stunt against me for years, the last time the story got told by my younger brother I got the look..
It's probably why his Custom 03 w/ P.O. Ackley barrel in 35 Whelen w/2.5x Alaskan and 10 boxes of 275gr. Hornady RN bullets that I have lusted after for years hasn't come my way..lol
The hornet was a shooting machine that killed lots of chucks, crows and a few other varmits.
Here's to titties and beer!
Sako Model 78 .22LR. Getting rid of that was by far the worst gun decision I ever made.

Next was my first semi-custom. 700 action with a #5 Hart barrel in .270 Win. Shot awesome. Got to thinking it was too heavy and had the barrel turned to a #3 contour. Never shot nearly as well as before, so it went down the road. If I were doing it again, I would have left it as is...

John
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Winchester pre-64 94 in 25-35.

Sold it to finance something that I don't even remember.

Also, a Colt python for $300 back in the 70's (kicks toe in dirt!)

And a Winchester 92 in 218 Bee....The list goes on....(snivels a little!)

Virgil B.

Well, those are 3 I would love to have, myself!
Too many to count, but off the top my head I would my great grandfather's pre 64 M70 30-06 and two Sako Finnwolfs-a 308 and 243 and AV deluxe in 416 Rem.
© 24hourcampfire