Home
Posted By: bcraig 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/01/10
Anyone got any experience using a 30-30 on whitetail at 200 yards or so ? I would be using factory 150 grain loads(probably Rem corelokts).Although listed close to 2400 fps expect it is actually going about 2200 fps.
Know what the round will do at 100 yards and less ,dont need quotations from ballistics tables as I have those, just needing some REAL world experiences with bullet performance at longer ranges.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/01/10
You may have better luck with Hornady's LeverEvolution 30/30 rounds. The pointed bullets shoot flatter and can be used in tube magazines.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/01/10
The round should be fine, but unscoped, you may (if like me) have a hard time aiming well. I've taken a couple deer at ~150 yards with the 30-30 and standard loads. I'm sure it would be fine at 200.
Posted By: bcraig Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/01/10
My 50 year old eyes definetly need a scope and I will be using a 4x leupold. Just thought someone might have some actual PERSONAL reports of bullet performance at these extended ranges using regular ole 150 grain factory loads IE penetration ,expansion ,reaction of deer to the hit etc.
My 50 year old eyes definetly need a scope and I will be using a 4x leupold. Just thought someone might have some actual PERSONAL reports of bullet performance at these extended ranges using regular ole 150 grain factory loads IE penetration ,expansion ,reaction of deer to the hit etc.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/01/10
If you haven't done so, do some shooting at that range to check the bullet drop. You might want to sight it in for, say, 150.
Yes ,I have shot the rifle at various ranges ,just needing the info on bullet performance.
Posted By: selmer Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/02/10
bcraig, all you need to do is wander over to the specialty pistol forums and you'll have all the evidence you need to convince you that bullet performance will be just fine. Anybody running a .30-30 from a handgun is shooting slower or equal to what you're running, and even though they're shooting spitzers, the flat points at 200 yds will kill deer. I can assure you of this as I've killed several deer with a .357 Maximum pistol running 190 gr. flat points with a lower BC and wider front end than your rounds at distances close enough to 200 yds that it doesn't matter, the ammo will get the job done IF you put the bullet where it needs to be.
Posted By: jasonlemire31 Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/02/10
It will be fine with broadside rib shots, no problem!!!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/02/10
Yep, killed one last year at 236 yards with a Hornady 170, went through and through, double lunger.

It'll work at that range, but there are better rifles if the chances continually come up. If anything, range estimation isn't as critical.
Posted By: bcraig Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/02/10
Thanks guys,I appreciate the info
Posted By: slg888 Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/02/10
160 yard shot w/Marlin 30-30 has been my longest. Bang dead on a 175lb 8 point.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
Ive known guys that have killed deer at 180-200 yards
with .30-30s and .35s.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
MY experience w/30-30 MOSTLY involves a 10" TC pistol. Pointed bullets flat to 150 or so yds whereas the roundnose 150-165s took a serious nose dive after that, but note 1800-1900 fps, was an avg speed for the short bbl. I'd use a RIFLE w/roundnose to 200 or so, not alot more, but if you single loaded spitzers, it changes things alot, 250 may not be a bad window for range in a rifle.

Just remember do not put pointed bullets in the tube...
Posted By: gophergunner Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
Sounds like a good test for the venerable old 30-30. Good luck and keep us posted.
Posted By: barm Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
I shot a doe broadside at 210 yards with the Federal 150 grain ammunition and she dropped where she stood. She never twitched or moved at all. The bullet passed completely through both shoulders and gave a nice exit wound. I would feel comfortable out to 225 yards with it. My rifle is a H&R 1871 Handi Rifle.
Posted By: Duquesne_Beer Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
There was a television program - hunting show - that was on a couple of years ago, when the hunting show program began - which was not a bad show - that bragged about the ethical harvesting of game.

It is not ethical to try to shoot a deer at 200 yards away with a 30 - 30 rifle.

Sorry - but that is my opinion.

I think you already knew the answer - but was just looking for someone to validate the fact that you are under gunned and you want to do something that is beyond the reach of a 30 - 30 rifle.

You already knew what the velocity of the bullet is at 200 yards and how much energy the load carries and how much energy is claimed to make a ethical shot.

In a month, when rifle season is here, you will be back here belly aching to us that you shot a nice buck and that it got away or that you shot at a nice buck and missed - and would want us to feel sorry for you.

I guess the goal needs to be - either for you to get a better gun or for you to become a better hunter and get closer to what you want to shoot.

One of the biggest bucks I ever missed was 300 yards away, and all I had was a 35 Remington - same ballistics, just a bigger diameter bullet. I kept shooting - till I ran out of shells.
At one point - it was only 150 yards away.

If people wouldn't have told me to aim high or to aim over it's back, I would have got that deer.

The next year, that gun was no longer in my gun cabinet.
Posted By: CLB Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
You missing at 300 with a .35 Rem has no bearing in this conversation. And has a lot more to do with your own abilities. Especially since in a earlier sentence you toot the horn of "getting closer" or getting a "better gun for you". Either way, it seems that both appky to you.
You will have zero problem killing deer at 200 +/- "or so" with your 30-30. Assuming you can deliver the bullet where required. And I'm sure you can or there would be no need for this post.

When you ring on up with your 30-30 at that range, be sure to post it up as a hunting lesson for some here.

Good luck & Good Shooting.
Posted By: selmer Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer

It is not ethical to try to shoot a deer at 200 yards away with a 30 - 30 rifle.

I think you already knew the answer - but was just looking for someone to validate the fact that you are under gunned and you want to do something that is beyond the reach of a 30 - 30 rifle.

Bull feces! If one can HIT the deer in the boiler room at 200 yds with a .30-30 the deer will NOT survive it. Don't use your lack of abilities to criticize a cartridge or another shooter who may be just fine with the combination, especially if it's scoped.

Posted By: southtexas Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
I kept shooting - till I ran out of shells.

Any credibility you may have had went down the tubes right there.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
There was a television program - hunting show - that was on a couple of years ago, when the hunting show program began - which was not a bad show - that bragged about the ethical harvesting of game.

Sorry - but that is my opinion.

You already knew what the velocity of the bullet is at 200 yards and how much energy the load carries and how much energy is claimed to make a ethical shot.

In a month, when rifle season is here, you will be back here belly aching to us that you shot a nice buck and that it got away or that you shot at a nice buck and missed - and would want us to feel sorry for you.

I guess the goal needs to be - either for you to get a better gun or for you to become a better hunter and get closer to what you want to shoot.

One of the biggest bucks I ever missed was 300 yards away, and all I had was a 35 Remington - same ballistics, just a bigger diameter bullet. I kept shooting - till I ran out of shells.

If people wouldn't have told me to aim high or to aim over it's back, I would have got that deer.

The next year, that gun was no longer in my gun cabinet.

There is a big difference between 200 and 300 yds with the 30-30 and 35. You should be absolutely fine with the 30-30 at 200 yds if you put in plenty of practice time and get to know your rifle's trajectory. More importantly, get a good range finder or learn to accurately judge distance in the field.
Posted By: bcraig Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
No Duquensbeer, I did not already know the answer which is why I asked the question.
I dont need any validation from you or anyone else that I am undergunnedor not and I dont know if 200 is beyond the range of 30-30 bullet performance which is why I asked the question.
Yes I already knew the retained velocity and energy at 200 and how much energy is CLAIMED to be needed to kill BUT do know that a lot of things are CLAIMED and was just asking for first hand experience of bullet performance .Which by the way it sounds like you have none.Sounds to me like all you have is a smart ass reply.
Our deer season opens in about a week and no I wont be back in a month or so saying that I shot a nice buck and it got away and I wont be asking anyone Much less you to feel sorry for me.
What YOU think my goal needs to be has ABSOLUTELY no bearing to my question and furthermore I do have several 30-06 rifles and you have ABSOLUTELY no Idea of what kind of hunter I am.
I am 50 years old and a very ethical hunter which ONCE AGAIN is why I asked for first hand experience and once again sounds like you have none. By the way I have killed deer with Handguns, rifles and homemade bows and suspect I have forgot more about ballistics and hunting than you know.
As far as the comment about the 35 Remington at 300 yards is concerned remember I asked about a 30-30 at 200 yards and NOT a 35 A Remington at 300.AND if you knew anything about ballistics you would have known where your bullet was hitting because you would already have shot your rifle at various ranges.Sounds to me like you are the one Belly aching that someone else was to blame for YOU missing the deer.
All in all it appears as though you have NOTHING at all to contribute to this post.
Instead all you have offered a smart ass comments and also shown your ignorance as to a lot of things including my competency as a hunter .SO feel free to go away.
Posted By: selmer Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
Originally Posted by bcraig
No Duquensbury, I did not already know the answer which is why I asked the question.
I dont need any validation from you or anyone else that I am undergunnedor not and I dont know if 200 is beyond the range of 30-30 bullet performance which is why I asked the question.
Yes I already knew the retained velocity and energy at 200 and how much energy is CLAIMED to be needed to kill BUT do know that a lot of things are CLAIMED and was just asking for first hand experience of bullet performance .Which by the way it sounds like you have none.Sounds to me like all you have is a smart ass reply.
Our deer season opens in about a week and no I wont be back in a month or so saying that I shot a nice buck and it got away and I wont be asking anyone Much less you to feel sorry for me.
What YOU think my goal needs to be has ABSOLUTELY no bearing to my question and furthermore I do have several 30-06 rifles and you have ABSOLUTELY no Idea of what kind of hunter I am.
I am 50 years old and a very ethical hunter which ONCE AGAIN is why I asked for first hand experience and once again sounds like you have none. By the way I have killed deer with Handguns, rifles and homemade bows and suspect I have forgot more about ballistics and hunting than you know.
As far as the comment about the 35 Remington at 300 yards is concerned remember I asked about a 30-30 at 200 yards and NOT a 35 A Remington at 300.AND if you knew anything about ballistics you would have known where your bullet was hitting because you would already have shot your rifle at various ranges.Sounds to me like you are the one Belly aching that someone else was to blame for YOU missing the deer.
All in all it appears as though you have NOTHING at all to contribute to this post.
Instead all you have offered a smart ass comments and also shown your ignorance as to a lot of things including my competency as a hunter .SO feel free to go away.

I'm a preacher and couldn't have done that a whole heck of a lot better than that, well played sir, well played.
I'm thinking he went to the same school as Swampy....
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
Originally Posted by southtexas
I kept shooting - till I ran out of shells.

Any credibility you may have had went down the tubes right there.

You gave him more credit for a longer time than I did.
Posted By: mudhen Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
I took a small whitetail buck at a few steps over 200 yards with a 117 grain factory load in my .25-35. It went maybe five or six yards before it keeled over. Haven't hunted deer with a .30-30 since I was a young teenager, but if the .25-35 can do it, the .30-30 should have no problem!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/03/10
If coyotes count,it will work.
Posted By: ChipM Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/04/10
Originally Posted by selmer
No Duquensbury, I did not already know the answer which is why I asked the question.

I'm a preacher and couldn't have done that a whole heck of a lot better than that, well played sir, well played.

Selmer, I am not a preacher but could not agree more that it is a great response to a guy that if you look up his posts, has issues to say the least.

bcraig,

I too am a fan of the 30-30. I agree with most here that it is perfectly good out to 200 yds but believe you have better options in load selection. The Hornady LE ammo is a good option and I feel the 170 gr loads from Rem, Fed, Win would be a better option then the 150's. They are a little slower but found that the 170's expand a bit better IME. When using factory ammo I use the 170's but handload the 170 Nosler Partition which is made for 30-30 speeds. It also comes down to what your gun shoots the best.

Whichever you choose, Good luck and good huntin'
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/04/10
I took a nice fat whitetail doe one time with a .30/30 using factory 170 Silvertips at what I guessed was 150 yds., through the spine high up in front of the shoulder- dead by the time she hit the ground. Later, a buddy lasered from where I was sitting to the gut pile and it was 180 yds. Turned out to be the longest shot I ever made on a whitetail, and it was with a .30/30.
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: 30-30 at 200 yards? - 11/05/10
Anyone got any experience using a 30-30 on whitetail at 200 yards or so ? I would be using factory 150 grain loads(probably Rem corelokts).Although listed close to 2400 fps expect it is actually going about 2200 fps.
Know what the round will do at 100 yards and less ,dont need quotations from ballistics tables as I have those, just needing some REAL world experiences with bullet performance at longer ranges.

Can't help a bit on whitetail never shot one that far with a 30-30, howsomeever tho... I have killed muledeer, antelope and elk at 200+ yds with the 30-30 and 150 gr bullets, and it works just fine.
I saw somewhere thru this that you'll be using a scope and that will help with accurately placing the bullet. And if you do some actual field shooting with that combo you'll find that putting the bullet into the kill zone on a deer at 300 yds isn't out of the question.
© 24hourcampfire