Home
Unusually cold here this morning -- about 25 F with strong wind so I headed out of the cabin at daylight. Actually had a goodly amount of snow flurries. I think our local deer were hunkered down as not much was moving early.

About 8 AM I had a doe and yearling feed toward me eating acorns. I caught movement behind them and it turned out to be a large bobcat. He was on his belly sneaking up on the yearling. Got within about 20 yards and he launched himself at the deer.

Everything happened so fast it is still a blur, but the little deer escaped untouched by going supersonic in a split second. The cat gathered himself back up,looked around as if to make sure nobody was watching and went on his way back into the creek bottom.

First time I ever saw a cat try to kill a deer! Made for a great morning.
Had one chase a rabbit right by me. He threw the brakes on when he saw me, stopping a whopping 8 ft. away to stare for a few seconds.

Then he left.
I hunted this am as well in MS. I didn't see squat. I'm in Lee County. Lots of snow flurries. Where are you?
Lee
I shot this one on a relatively slow afternoon....
[Linked Image]

I shot this coyote one morning last season chasing a spike...
[Linked Image]
I live in Batesville but was hunting in Benton County.
I'd rather shoot a bobcat than a deer these days. Have never taken a 'cat.
I hunt west of Batesville in Quitman Co., always see lots of bobcats. Hunting most of my life in TN, I've seen maybe 8, but I've seen 6 in one day there. I think they have a huge food source-mostly field rats-from the rice and corn. Still feel like it's a treat to see one.
bull, I hunt in Tallahatchie County, grew up in Charleston. I hunted yesterday morning too. Saw a spike and a bobcat, but not at the same time. Big bobcat, wish it would have been closer so I could have taken a shot at it. I killed a small one a couple of weeks ago.

BTW, a friend of mine works in Batesville. He's the plant manager at Insituform.
Greetings Mississippi hunters. I just registered on this site. I own a camp outside of Vaiden just off the Big Black. There is good deer, hog, duck and turkey hunting on the place. If any of you fellars are interested in swapping hunts let me know. I'm going in tomorrow and won't be back till Friday and will get back to anyone interested asap after that.
More MS folk here than I realized. How many of yall post on the MSoutdoorforum and the bull nettler?
I post on the bull nettler some but do a lot more reading there. Also on Mississippi Gun Owners....
I keep forgetting to hit the gun owners forum when I make the rounds. Robb Belote still posting over there?
I tried to get on MsOutdoors but they wouldn/t take any new members. I got over it.
Originally Posted by EddyBo
More MS folk here than I realized. How many of yall post on the MSoutdoorforum and the bull nettler?

Does being born and raised in Corinth count?
Hmmm I cannot imagine why, they are begging for members.

Heck yes Corinth counts
I'm from Oxford, live in Tupelo now. Hunt in Marshall/Benton, Quitman, Tallahatchie, and around Oxford/Tupelo. There are quite a bit of MS members hanging out here. I know quite a bit of them, have met some other on here and have referred people here. Maybe we should do a 24hour MS group hunt.
Lee
Ebby, I've not been here near as long as some but have enjoyed the trip so far. A 24hr Ms hunt would be fun..
I would sign up for a 24HR get together as well. I cook some mighty good ribs!
And Ebby may have cooked some of the best deer burgers I've ever eaten....
Originally Posted by EddyBo

I post there occassionally. I go by "Bones" over there.
Count me in on a group hunt. I'm from Forest...have truck...will travel.

MIGHT be able to host a post deer season hog hunt.
New poster here. Just joined when I saw this post and the number of MS folks on here. Always enjoy meeting more local hunters. I'm from New Albany but do a good bit of hunting in Benton and Tippah. Also hunt with buddies down around Marks occasionally. Just joined a duck camp in Arkansas this year.

Just noticed this post was started on the 12th about a morning hunt. I had a great afternoon hunt that day. Only been deer hunting much for about 3-4 years. Was always a duck and rabbit hunter. Killed a few does but never a buck. Got my first buck Sunday afternoon about 4:30 behind my house. 10 point with 20in inside spread. Been told by buddies that I am now ruined for life!
Welcome to the Campfire! Glad to see so many folks from Mississippi here!
Live in Woodville, in Wilkinson county. Haven't hunted this season, haven't even bought a license. Hunting's been rather poor in the area I've hunted for a while now, so couldn't get up any enthusiasm for it.

Nonetheless, I enjoy seeing a good deer or listening to the squirrels raise a ruckus.
Congrats on the buck sounds like a good un.

TATELAW, you're ruined..I killed 2 big gobblers(didn't know you weren't suppose to)the first time I went. Lots of miles, gas, hours, and a good many turkeys and I'm still ruined. Still my favorite after 45yrs.
Always hunted deer hard but after my first good turkey hunt around 25 years old or so spring is king to me! That being said I still am WAY more successful with a bow and stand than shotgun and decoys.
I too love the spring. Nothing like chasing those turkeys. I deer hunt a lot and Duck hunt in the Delta but I chase birds all over the country in the Spring.

I can certainly whip up some of those Deer Burgers if we all get together.

Lee
I've killed several bobcats throughout the years...and let many more walk. I've watched them try to catch a turkey, but never saw one stalk a deer.

Ebby, how come I've never heard of these famous deer burgers? Looks like you just nominated yourself for camp cook on the next trip.
Ha! I could make them more often if I could just kill a deer! I'm out of burger at the moment and can't seem to get one to step in front of the truck. I'll cook. We congregating in Kemper?

BTW I've killed a few Bobcats as well all before the age of digital photography though. I've also seen them jump turkeys but never deer.
Is it true that bobcat tastes kinda like owl?
I will never know if bobcat tastes like owl.
Well, you know what they say about enough gravy. Not to mention the proper wine to clean the pallet.
Originally Posted by zsz3pt
Is it true that bobcat tastes kinda like owl?

one of my old buddies cooked one and brought it to work. The guys we worked with thought it was a coon and they ate it up.(thank goodness I was on another shift) They were plenty pizzed off but not enough to jump that dude as he was a badass himself. They finally owned up that it tasted good...
Let me know when the get together is...I'm from Tate County and have known bull for several years when he was still in Tennessee. I live in Bartlett, TN, now but still hunt Tate Co.
© 24hourcampfire