Home
If I were to get a dedicated bolt action shotgun for deer hunting, should I choose a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge? What are the differences in performance -- accuracy, downrange energy, trajectory, etc. Ammo recommendations also appreciated.

What factory standard shotgun model would be best -- staying within a reasonable budget? Savage? Mossberg? Are there others?

Thanks.

Steve
Savage 220f.
Easy.
A lot of people like the NEF in 20 gauge. Flat shooting with half the recoil of a 12.
Originally Posted by WTM45
Savage 220f.
Easy.

This. For sure...
If I were to go back to a dedicated deer shotgun[used to have one, for Indiana], it would be a H&R Ultra Slug hunter, 20 ga., with a 3" chamber. I used to have a Rem. 870, pump 12 ga. It had a rifled choke tube, and a cantilever scope mount. I probably killed 35 deer with that setup. In 2007, Indiana past a pistol caliber rifle season, so have been using a 44 mag., since then.

maddog
Originally Posted by nyskt100
Originally Posted by WTM45
Savage 220f.
Easy.

This. For sure...
Yup
Thanks for the replies. I figured the same, but wanted to see if there were others out there I didn't know about.

Now, for the rest of my question:
What are the differences in performance between 12 gauge and 20 gauge slugs in accuracy, downrange energy, trajectory, etc. Ammo recommendations also appreciated.

Steve
Do the research for yourself, as you are the one that has to make the decisions. You will be the one who benefits most.
Start with the 20ga 3" Remington AccuTip and the 3" Federal Barnes Tipped.
Look at the twist rates of the tubes you have an interest in.
Look at the optics mounting options.

That will provide many answers for you.
EH, no comment on accuracy, because every slug gun is different, and some are as finnicky as red headed women! grin

As for ballistics, lots of info out there. If they will shoot out of your gun, the Winchester supreme nosler partition is one I'd look at.

maddog
Yes, I guess I phrased my words poorly. The numbers are easy to get. What I'm really looking for are opinions, why anyone prefers the 20 to the 12, or vice versa, in slug guns.

Thanks.

Steve
Can't see much need for anything bigger than a 20ga .50cal Barnes which weighs 275gr moving at 1800+/-fps.
Oh, it carries a better trajectory than a 12ga sabot too.
I've shot several deer with both 12 and 20's I would say both performed almost as equals as far as terminal performance, had a couple of deer run a little ways with both and had about 70% of them flop on the spot. the 20 had a nicer feel and just felt right when I put it to my shoulder. it was a remington 870 with rifled barrel and iron sights. the 12 I used was a winchester model 12 2 3/4" and it worked just fine, little more recoil but not bad. if I were to get a dedicated slug gun it would either be a savage bolt action or the 870 with rifled barrel. and I would go with the 20 gauge.
I knew a guy in PA who had a Tarhunt bolt action shotgun
and loved it. Could of bought a used car for what he payed
for it though.
Browning is coming out with the 12 gauge A bolt again. The old ones were scary accurate. The price is alittle steep though $1200.00. I use to shoot 12 gauge but now I shoot 20. Have the H&S Single shot heavy barrel 20 gauge- very accurate &have the Savage 220F which I cant say enough good things about this gun!
Since my state is mostly shotgun and muzzleloader for deer I've owned a number of dedicated slug guns in both 12 & 20 gauge. These include several Remington 870s, Remington 11-87, H&R Ultra Slug Hunters and a Mossburg 695.

All has fully rifled barrels and were accurate enough @ 100 yards but the real standouts were the H&R Ultra Slug Hunters with Lightfield slugs and a Remington 870 20 gauge with a Hastings barrel shooting Remington copper solids and Accutips. Those guns would shoot 1 ragged hole groups.

I've killed a truckload of deer with both gauges but prefer the 20 for hunting. in my experience it drops deer just as well as the 12 and kicks a lot less.

I've read and heard that the Savage 220F 20gauge is the schitz but I don't like bolt action shotguns.
Savage 220F is the way to go. Start with their recommend ammunition and you should be good out to 200 yards if you practice enough and the deer present a good shot. They are so much more pleasant to shoot than a 12 gauge.
why anyone prefers the 20 to the 12

Less recoil, more aerodynamic projectiles, lighter weight guns. are just a few of the resaons
Y'all are talking slugs. Never mind.
Originally Posted by BarryC
A lot of people like the NEF in 20 gauge. Flat shooting with half the recoil of a 12.

+1

The NEF Ultra Light Slug hunter in 20ga is very nice indeed.
from all that I have read and from those that I have talked to this is just the anecdotal evidence that I have collected pro and con for the 20ga...

PRO
lighter gun
lighter recoil(lesser potential for flinch)
kills as quickly as 12ga(dead in its tracks or tracking)

CONS
avalbility of slugs
avalbility of makes and modles in 20ga

Over and above the subject of dedicated 20ga slug gun. Im leaning very hard toward the Remington 11-87 Sportsman. Avalable in 26" field barrel with an additional slug barrel will(IMHO) make a very servicable deer, turkey, grouse, woodcock, squirrel and dove gun. For the price not a bad 4 season gun.
Don't forget, Lightfield Hybred 20 gauge slugs are "full size", meaning they are as big around (same diameter) as a saboted 12 gauge slug! And they flat, flatten a deer hit with 'em. I shoot a dedicated 20 gauge Encore with Lightfields, and anything 100 yards in is in serious trouble.
I'm with yukonal on this one. My T/C Encore 26" 20ga rifled slug barrel will shoot :

Lightfield Hybred EXP 2 3/4
Winchester Supreme Elite 3"
Remington Premier AccuTip 3"

Put all 3 types of ammo / same point of impact.

Ken
My H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge is very accurate with just about anything even the standard rifled slugs but expect to do some lead removal if you shoot them. I got this gun just before deer season a couple years ago, put a 3x Weaver with a post reticle on it and the only non bare lead slugs I could find were Brenneke old style with the point on em. No problem as they shot 3 touching at 75 yards. Thumped a doe and a hog with it and could not ask for better performance. Now I shoot Remington BuckHammers, very accurate and more powerful than the Brennekes but I have yet to knock anything off with them.
© 24hourcampfire