Home
Posted By: whelennut .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
My brother in law has a .222 Magnum and wants to use it on deer now that it is legal in Minnesota. None of us has any experience with .22 centerfire on deer.
What kind of performance can he expect out of factory ammo.
He doesn't reload. Deer normally don't exceed 200 lbs very often around here because of the hunting pressure.
We have had bad experiences with .243 in our hunting party in the past so I am skeptical. ( Of course we have had bad experience with 30-06 due to crappy shooting) grin
Let's hear it!
whelennut
Posted By: highridge1 Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
Of course it will kill them,good idea? NO I think a decent deer rifle starts at .243 and goes up from there.
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
TSX's, Nosler PT, 70 gr. Speer are where I'd start. I've shot them in the neck, high shoulder and ribs. My fav is the high shoulder or lungs. Over the years I've killed more than 50 deer with 22 cf's with nary a lost animal.

I know its not for everyone, but it works as well as anything else for me. Have fun with it.

222 RM is one I havent jacked a deer with, may have to change that.

Joseph
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
I too would not recommend using that .222Mag on deer! NOT for a novice or beginner.

And why was the .30/06 a bad expereince? Because of the recoil? Why not use a .243 if that was the case? Or a .30/30?

Actually your BIL's best bet is if one of the more experienced hunters in your party took (BIL) under his wing and coached him on his first deer hunt/deer kill.

Twas me I'd try to put BIL in a ground or tree blind, and help the guy just fill that first tag. Huge learning curve there. If your BIL indeed got bitten by the hunting-bug, he'd be well on his way to being 'experienced' after that first buck.

A .30/06 is a 'big round' to most folks unfamiliar with shooting or that particular round, but behind the .30-30 the .30/06 is the SECOND-MOST POPULAR big game cartridge used in America - according to ammo sales.

That .222Mag "will kill deer," but I'd be extremely apprehensive if I was a member of your deer camp that you BIL has the patience or discipline to pick [only] the right shots! And the deer "cooperating" and presenting that perfect broadside shot is a "big IF" too!

A .30-30 or .243 is plenty powerful and more likely to dispatch a deer even if the shot isn't perfect.
Posted By: whelennut Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
okiebowhunter,
He uses factory ammo and doesn't reload. He also travels a lot and so doesn't have much time to practice with the rifle either.
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter
TSX's, Nosler PT, 70 gr. Speer are where I'd start. I've shot them in the neck, high shoulder and ribs. My fav is the high shoulder or lungs. Over the years I've killed more than 50 deer with 22 cf's with nary a lost animal.

I know its not for everyone, but it works as well as anything else for me. Have fun with it.

222 RM is one I havent jacked a deer with, may have to change that.

The bullets you mentioned OBH, would certainly work fine - except the brother-in-law IS NOT a reloader!
Posted By: mathman Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
He uses factory ammo and doesn't reload.

Can you get ammo loaded with anything but a varmint bullet?
Posted By: whelennut Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
That is kind of what I am leading up to. I wonder how many guys like my BIL are going to try to use varmint bullets on deer?
Posted By: mathman Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
Do your best to discourage him from trying it.
Posted By: mudhen Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
Last I checked (in 2005, I think), Hirtenberger was the only brand of factory ammo in .222 Rem Mag being produced. They only offered 3 different 55 grain loads: a 55 Nosler SP, a 55 Sierra SP and a 55 Nosler BT, none of which I would recommend for deer. Unless he wants to take up reloading, he should stick with his old reliable deer rifles.
Posted By: ingwe Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/10/11
Originally Posted by mathman
He uses factory ammo and doesn't reload.

Can you get ammo loaded with anything but a varmint bullet?

I don't believe so...leave the .222Mag at home...
Posted By: Team_Tricky Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
I think it really depends on two things:
1) Having a good bullet
2) If the terrain has excellent visibility so you can watch the deer run off and collapse in case of a poor blood trail.

Where I hunt it is SUPER dense and thick, I would not use that small of caliber in case of a poor shot. What happens if the deer of a lifetime walks out at 300 yards and doesn't give a nice broadside shot? We all know we SHOULDN'T take the shot but let's face it some people will, especially those who have never harvested a big mature buck. So, now...would that shooter be better off with a .222 or a .300WM ?

I saw a 15yr old shoot his first deer last year with a .223 and he hit it in the rear end/hip area. Specs of blood into a DENSE thicket....after 5 guys searched for 30 minutes we finally located it to finish it off. Had he shot it with a "Powerful" gun the blood trail may have been better and the deer would have suffered less.

Unless experienced I think the smallest a novice should go is .270 or .308
Posted By: mathman Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
I saw a 15yr old shoot his first deer last year with a .223 and he hit it in the rear end/hip area.

Bullet?
Posted By: HawkI Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
I do know its damnfine on decent sized hogs.......with a good bullet.

I might know someone in Iowa who can hook you up with some new cases and bullets with grandois margins of error...... whistle

I'd trade our rifled slugs, sabots and schit for my 222 Magnum and loads not made for gophers any day our DNR gets the sand out!!! grin
Posted By: Chaser Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Funny that the 223 on deer is the best deer round since sliced bread, but a 222 mag wont work...

Billy
Posted By: bucktail Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Originally Posted by Chaser
Funny that the 223 on deer is the best deer round since sliced bread, but a 222 mag wont work...

Billy

Restricting it to available factory ammo is the issue here. He'd be fine if he would hand load a stout heavy for caliber bullet.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
What bullets can you still get in .222 mag. factory loads ? Geeze, I didn't even know anybody was still loading them at all ! Some so called "varmint" bullets work pretty damned good on deer. I killed a bunch with win. and Hornady, 55 gr. sp's out of a .223 for example. My point is, don't discount all of the so called varmint bullets cuz some are alot tougher than you'd think.
Posted By: bucktail Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Where in MN is he? Habisch outdoors in Winstead does some custom reloading. Looks like John in Gunstop in Glen Lake is set up for it too, but I'm not sure if he does it or not.
Posted By: southtexas Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Originally Posted by Blackheart
What bullets can you still get in .222 mag. factory loads ? Geeze, I didn't even know anybody was still loading them at all ! Some so called "varmint" bullets work pretty damned good on deer. I killed a bunch with win. and Hornady, 55 gr. sp's out of a .223 for example. My point is, don't discount all of the so called varmint bullets cuz some are alot tougher than you'd think.

You may be right, but he doesn't reload, he doesn't shoot much, and there ain't many choices in factory ammo for the 222RM. How would he ever KNOW if those particular varmint bullets are "tough"?
Posted By: savage62 Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Start using a 25-06 or 270 I killed deer with 223 quick when in the head . These 25-06s 270s make more sence
Posted By: Blackheart Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Originally Posted by southtexas

You may be right, but he doesn't reload, he doesn't shoot much, and there ain't many choices in factory ammo for the 222RM. How would he ever KNOW if those particular varmint bullets are "tough"?
He could start by shooting them into wet newspapers to see whether they mushroom and penetrate or fragment. Truth is, outside of such as Hornady V-Max, Sierra Blitz, Nosler BT,Expander etc. I've not found many varmint bullets to be as all fired "frangible" as many would have you believe.
Posted By: southtexas Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Yes he could, but the point is he probably won't. He doesn't have the interest to shoot more. He doesn't have the interest to reload. So the best answer is just to have him use a more suitable cartridge, No?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11

Billy

Funny how many people posses the inability to comprehend the written word.
Posted By: HawkI Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Originally Posted by southtexas

He could start by shooting them into wet newspapers to see whether they mushroom and penetrate or fragment. Truth is, outside of such as Hornady V-Max, Sierra Blitz, Nosler BT,Expander etc. I've not found many varmint bullets to be as all fired "frangible" as many would have you believe.

Most of the older 55 SP Remington loadings are pretty stout bullets, not anywhere near as explosive as the ones listed here, but not even close to the margins of the TSX.

To my knowledge, the only present factory loads are 40 and 50 gr. BT loads by Nosler.
Posted By: ingwe Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Billy

Funny how many people posses the inability to comprehend the written word.

Thanks...beat me to it. You only have one chance to make a first impression....Chaser made his...
Posted By: whelennut Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
I think the .223 type round with a suitable bullet is fine for a rifle loony. In fact I have thought about trying my .220 Swift just for [bleep] and giggles.
But my BIL is hardly ever home, and when he is, he has a honey do list as long as a football field. I managed to discourage him this year but we will have to wait and see what happens next year. The funny thing is he has a 300 WSM and a 7mm Magnum but he says they kick to much. He bought those for elk hunting.
For where we hunt a .338 Federal would make a better choice.
whelennut
Posted By: mathman Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/11/11
The funny thing is he has a 300 WSM and a 7mm Magnum but he says they kick to much. He bought those for elk hunting.

Then he shouldn't use them for that either.
Posted By: bangeye Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/12/11
222mag sorry nothing less than a .223 will do. There's magic in the extra .001 you know. What? what's that you say? they actually shoot the same bullets at about the same speeds. Surely not. Really? Well then never mind. Actually I agree about the don't use a varmint bullet part in any caliber especially 22's.
Posted By: 260madman Re: .222 Magnum on deer - 03/13/11
My uncle has one of these. 55gr softpoint in the slats. kills them nicely.
© 24hourcampfire