Home
i have a spanish mauser i used for 10yrs , for hunting does in ky during gun season,, i also bow hunt,, most shoots are 50-100 yards away,, closest being 30yards, i never had a doe get away,, i gave up hand gun hunting for military surplus hunting,,i wonder if there is anybody in my camp?
i still own a44 mag ruger 7inch barrel with rings it just sits due to my military hunting style,, next yr it will be open sights moser nagant 91/30
Not me but I met a guy in KY who hunted solely with a .303 British.

Not long after we met I heard him fire and later in camp I went and saw his 7 pt buck.

I'm more of a modern colorful rifle shooter.
my spanish mauser in 308 been somewhat sportized,,all of the top stuff taken off for less weight,,weaver scope zeroed at 110 yards ,, its deadly,, in 1987 i believe maybe 88,, they was selling these for 89 bucks a a local store,, i bought it just to see how frankenstienish i could do with it,, but limiting it to not putting much money into it,, now,,i not going to talk 100 yard moa,,i will say at 110 yards i can hit a 2 litler of water dyed red all day long and i consider that a vital area on a doe,,
its just one of those things a guy engages in that makes absoluteliy no sence maybe to another person,, but i like what i did and enjoy that rifle,, the moser nagant i will have to shoot alot to see where we stand,, i was watching(on you tube) a video of a guy shooting a 24inch by 24 inch target at 600, 800 yards i was like i want one of those rifles now,, i got one at the next gun show,, a hand picked tula hex reciever absolutely clean for 135,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc make that 1000 yards on this video,, dam accurate rifles

I sure like shooting an M1 but I don't like the stripper clips. I wonder what it would be like to hunt with an M1A that had a scope mounted.

KC

Hunted pigs with an SKS, does that count?
hunting pigs with a sks does count,, i looking for a sks as we speak,,
Cut my teeth on a german 98k in 8x57, I've also taken deer with a Hakim.
Originally Posted by KC

I sure like shooting an M1 but I don't like the stripper clips. I wonder what it would be like to hunt with an M1A that had a scope mounted.

KC

Heavy, they are REALLY heavy......................BTDT, got away from it right quick, too. HK91s are heavy, too, with or without a scope.
M1s and Jeeps go good together.
Winchester M1 from the CMP, shot about 75 yds.

[Linked Image]
I know a guy here in Montana whose only big game rifle since he started at 12 has been a completely stock 1903 Springfield. His freezer is always full and he has some nice antlers and hides around his house as well.
I started with a 93 Mauser 7x57..................... I wish it was still here!
I started out with a 98 in 8x57 and also had an Ariska 7.7 Jap.Killed deer and ground hogs with them no problemo.!!
Two so far: One with dad's VZ 24 WWII trophy and one with an uncle's 1903. Both rifles have their original sights.

Unc killed a mess of deer on the farm over 40 years with that rifle, but it ain't much fun to carry. She's a beauty, but too damn heavy.
I picked up a custom Arisaka 6.5 carbine a couple of years
ago and havent taken it hunting yet. Someday I will shoot
a deer with a Remington rolling block in 7x57mm.
thats one of the best pictures i seen,,i love it,,i knew i wasnt alone,,blairvt,, military uniform, and i go to war with u anyday,,lovebumper
I'll admit to doing the deed with mil surp stuff. Not on a regular basis but I have taken deer and/or hogs with:

1903A3
SMLE #4
SKS
CHINESE TYPE 56 ala same M44 MosinNagat
Venze M93 7m/m carbine
Mexican M1902 Remington Rolling block 7m/m
M1 Garand
M1 Carbiine (hogs only)

All in straight military garb.

Really did it just for the hell of it.

BCR
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I started with a 93 Mauser 7x57..................... I wish it was still here!

Me too! Killed my first several deer with it! Still have it. Actually a Spanish Ovedio 1916. Mom got it for me for Christmas 1969! Paid $19.95 for it! Bud of mine stuck a newer 7 x 57 military bbl on it about 15 years ago. I think at least one of my boys has killed deer with it too!

Kaywoodie
I started out with an Oviedo 1916 also, in 1967. My dad paid $15 for it. That was my first deer season and I carried that rifle in as-issue form. Sadly, it went the way of the wind after that first year when I discovered the joys of Krags and Springfields.
"when I discovered the joys of Krags and Springfields."

Yup!!!!!!!! wink

K
Originally Posted by lovebmper_2020
thats one of the best pictures i seen,,i love it,,i knew i wasnt alone,,blairvt,, military uniform, and i go to war with u anyday,,lovebumper
i shot 2000 rounds out of my garand in one year competing. they are fine rifles in an even finer caliber.
I have talked to older guys that said back in the 1960s
chain stores had trash cans full of milsurp rifles in the
front of the stores for sale.
At one time when I was a kid the woods were full of mil surplus rifles. This was in the 60's and 70s because until 1962 you could order nice clean surplus rifles for just a few $ so that's what a lot of folks used. I remember buying a nice 303 SMLE for $11 from a guy that worked with my dad. It had the stock cut off but it still shot OK and had been his deer rifle for years. Today surplus rifles are much too expensive and you can buy a much better sporting rifle in a modern caliber for less a-la stevens 200, marlin or mossberg and it will be drilled for a scope and handle much better than any of the surplus rifles. Having said that I have a 98 KAR in 8x57 that I would hunt with if I didn't have better rifles. The sights are pretty hard on my 55 year old eyes but on a bright day it shoots fine and a 200 yd shot wouldn't be unthinkable.
when i started the thread ,i stated i use that spanish mauser for hunting does,,, i have slug guns,nice expense rifles,, for me its a flavor type thing,,
i enjoy taking a 90-100yr old rifle that i tuned up and can shoot well enough for the task ,, for me harvasting a deer is the secondary thing,,the intial joy is using these old work horses to the extent that they are wellabove good enough to get the job done,, this spanish mauser i have shoots equal to my 308 remmy at 100-125 yards ,, maybe its me ,,saying i only have so much skill and if u put a dynomite rifle in my hands ,, the results would be no different that that spanish mauser,, when i harvest a doe with this gun,, i think about the vary times in which this gun was made then i really appriciate the moment,, this thought process is apart of my hunt every time i am successful,, and now that people like my grandfather are gone ,,and i love to hear thier stories ,, sometimes i even wonder why i do have new rifles,,cause when it comes to shooting,,i grab these era-tested guns,, i truly love them,,btw ,,today i was at a gun show and was staring down a 8mm german rifle
[Linked Image]

I shot my first deer with an as-issued springfield. I recently adopted my K31 as my preferred deer rifle. This doe was taken last summer on an agriculture damage tag.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have talked to older guys that said back in the 1960s
chain stores had trash cans full of milsurp rifles in the
front of the stores for sale.

Absolutely true. Lots of SMLE#1 and #4 lots of M93 and 96 Mausers. Some 98s. Italian Carcanos out the wazoo if anybody wanted one at @fifteen bucks a pop. Bought an Enfield #5 "jungle carbine" for $29.95. Wicked beast but wish I still had it. South American M91 in 7.65 were a drug on the market much like Mosin/Nagat 91/30 are today.

Of course dollar bills were not as easy to come by then as they are now.

BCR
Yeah, but it was the golden age of cheap milsurp rifles, regardless of how easy a buck was to obtain.

Several stores in our area had racks of the aforementioned rifles at bargain prices in the early to mid 1960s. Even two local chains that were both primarily auto parts stores, but both sold ammo and firarms. Can still recall oglin' all those old Mausers and Enfields.
Is the scope on that K31 directly over the bolt? If so, how does the empty eject. Mine is straight up like a 94.
My stand hunting is with a 30-06 Rem 700 but when I'm sneaking around on foot pushing through brushy woods I go to my Chinese SKS.
Replaced the crappy wooden stock with a decent synthetic and popped on a Square B scope mount, and threw on a decent scope.

Just a quick, cheap and easy job - It took me longer to sight in the scope then it did to put the whole thing together.
I may have gotten lucky with my particular gun as it's a tack driver out to 100 yards. Taken a few good deer with it.

Also have two Mauser's that my grandfather brought home as trophies from the war. A standard issue 8mm and a .22 cal training rifle (not an 8mm with an insert). I've never hunted the 98, way too heavy to lug around, but my father took quite a few deer with it in his youth. The .22 is ridiculously accurate and still gets a lot of use as a plinker and has seen use as a squirrel gun.
Like the others, I have better rifles to hunt big game with, but I have hunted rabits with a Spanish and Turkish Mausers in 8X57mm. With the as issued sights, I can't shoot one on the run most of the time, but I can if one is still. My eyes don't see as well as in the past. I put some bright green paint on the front sight that helps.
Originally Posted by Youper
Is the scope on that K31 directly over the bolt? If so, how does the empty eject. Mine is straight up like a 94.

Naw, It's offset to the right on a standard Swiss Products clamp-on mount. The photo's deceiving. I'm a lefty so it works pretty well for me.
7x57 Mauser (My first centerfire)
03A3
M1A (not really military, but)
SKS

I remember the cheap surplus rifles. Montgomery Ward used to publish a special flyer that had surplus rifles listed for cheap prices.
They always listed the graduations and maximum range marked off on their battle sights.
In the 60's that really caught my young eye, I clearly remember looking at some Schmidt-Rubens cataloged with an 1100 meter sight setting. That almost exactly matched my young efforts at pacing off the yardage to the top of the hill behind the house.
are u ever in the woods and hear,, bamm,,3 seconds,, bam,bam bam bam ,, and wonder ,, (down deer)?

if i am in the woods and hear bam ,, then total silence i believe (downed deer)
1 shot= 1 deer
2 shots= maybe one deer
3 shots= no deer
M1A
SKS
AR15
1917 eddystone 30/06
98 mauser .308
98 mauser 7x57
danis Krag 45/70
98 mauser 45/70
walking through the woods ya get a starnge look some times but I am kinda starnge anyway
added a russian m44 to my aesenal today,,i didnt realize the bayonette are like machined on the barrel doesnt look like a easy off, and i read that they shoot beetr with the bayonette extended,, i hope no other hunters see my prowling wit my m44 bayonette extended in chinese military garb,,, they might think they re in korea again?
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
1 shot= 1 deer
2 shots= maybe one deer
3 shots= no deer

That's about the truth isn't it grin
+1
took my 1st Blacktail Buck with a m91 carcano carbine, took a deer with an sks one year. I carried an m1 garand one day of hunting, but did not want to beat it up in the brush, never saw anything to shoot that day.

1 buck-6.5x52mm
1 buck 7.62x39
5 deer 30-30
doe w/ 22 hornet
9blacktail bucks and 1 muledeer buck- 35 whelen
1 buck 45-70
Originally Posted by SuperTodd
took my 1st Blacktail Buck with a m91 carcano carbine, took a deer with an sks one year. I carried an m1 garand one day of hunting, but did not want to beat it up in the brush, never saw anything to shoot that day.

1 buck-6.5x52mm
1 buck 7.62x39
5 deer 30-30
doe w/ 22 hornet
9blacktail bucks and 1 muledeer buck- 35 whelen
1 buck 45-70

Nice to see the 22lr wasn't included in the mix laugh. You know how those guys from southern oregon are out in those alfalfa fields late at night grin
Originally Posted by lovebmper_2020
added a russian m44 to my aesenal today,,i didnt realize the bayonette are like machined on the barrel doesnt look like a easy off, and i read that they shoot beetr with the bayonette extended,, i hope no other hunters see my prowling wit my m44 bayonette extended in chinese military garb,,, they might think they re in korea again?

Be assured that the "bayonet extended" is not a fluke.With a little care and attention you can "cork" the front stock area, and lose the bayo. Been there--done that. I hunt hogs ALOT with a MAK90--its a hoot!
bring this back,, military guns for hunting is my passion,, some good folks share this same thoughts !
In the 60's I hunted with 30-06 03A3 springfield and 30-06 Enfield.
I got a mule deer and an antelope this year with a VZ24 that I converted to 7mmRM.

I have been sporterizing rifles for 46 years, and this is the first time I ever killed anything with one of them.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/100_3136.jpg[/img]
I shot my buck this year with my 98 8x57...

[Linked Image]

Certainly not pretty, but it gets the job done pretty well.
I have 6 Enfield sporters. The last 2 compliments of VAnimarod. I have Mausers, including Swedes. I have Mosin Nagants, including Finns. And some sweet Swiss K 31's.

My newest purchase is a Springfield 1898 .30-40 Krag. It was made in 1899 and has a beautiful Fajen/Bishop MO Walnut hi-comb stock. A side mounted peep sight and a military sling, it might get the call for a 75 yd deer shot this year.

Hey, nice buck with the old 98. They been shooting those German stags with the 8x57 for years.
Nice deer, congradulations. I am an old coot now so my M-1 and M1A pretty much stay in the gun safe. I have had to go to rifles equipped with optics as my eye site sucks. Part of getting old I guess. One of my favorite rifles is the Swedish 6.5x55 Mausers. I have taken more game with that than I have fingers and toes.

I also have a Krebs 03S AK in 7.62x39 that has harvested a couple of whitetails.

One of my old favorites is my Springfield Krag Carbine in 30-40 Krag. I also have a Brit. Jungle Carbine, Mauser 98 in 8x57, and a Springfield 03 in 30-06. Haven't taken game with them yet.
We have guys in a camp up by ours in Pa. who always hunt with MilSurp for the second week of the season. Anyone who doesn't tag out on the opener and wants to come back up has to hunt with an unaltered MilSurp rifle. They've had everything over there from Trap Door Springfields, to Enfields, Springfields, Mausers, Arisakas and even a Carcano. They have a good old time, and it seems like every year there's something new on the rack over there.
I hunt with my second 03-A3 Springfield, after completely shooting out the barrel of the first. Sadly, I had sporterized each. They were DCM purchases in the early 60's, for $10.00 each plus $2.50 Shipping and handling.
My youngest son has recently taken up hunting with the old Model of 1917. He's the fourth generation of our family to use that old rifle. It's not in "as-issued" condition anymore, but still a very good old hunting rifle.

This year he got a buck, last year a bear, both with the old warhorse.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dad still has his Springfield, but seldom shoots it anymore. Looks like I may not have the M1917 much longer the way Junior has taken to it...
Glad somebody brought this back up - as I read it I was forming my post in my mind, and then encountered my old post and saved myself some typing.

I was in the "meat mode" this weekend and hunting out of my younger brother's house - he has a beautiful 303 and an M96 that were calling my name. If I would have shot them previously I'd have taken them out.
Wabbits with a BAR. Way cool.
© 24hourcampfire