Home
Posted By: roundoak "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/16/11

Always curious about antler abnormalities and a while back I posted a topic about antler holes.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4973785/1

My most recent curiosity is with one of my Mule deer racks. Many of the antler tips have the "acorn" shape.
I have seen this on Mule deer before but not to this extent, usually just one "acorn" tip.

Never seen an "acorn" tip on a Whitetail deer.

What is your experience and observation?

Wayne

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/17/11
Not sure why they get them but this years whitetail had a good one on his G2.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom264 Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/17/11
I dont like "acorns" and only 1 of mine has them.

I think its an injury occurrence while in velvet.

Whitetails have em too.
Posted By: roundoak Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/17/11
Yep, sure enough there is a whitetail with one. My first glimpse of one.
To a certain extent an acorn adds character.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/17/11
Buck I got a couple of years ago has a giant one on his right G2.

[Linked Image]
Nice deer and there is beauty in imperfection.
Posted By: jwall Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/17/11
roundoak: I have killed a couple of whitetail bucks w/at least one acorn tip.

I have a medium 8 pt. with 5 acorn tips. I would post a pic but am not set up.

JWALL

VEGETARIAN.........Indian Word For Poor Hunter
Posted By: muzzleblast Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/17/11
ive got a 10 point that i shot in east texas thats got an acorn on his right g2. i think its kinda cool
Posted By: firearms44 Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/17/11
Took this idiot out of the gene pool. Must have injured the left side while in velvet.

[Linked Image]

Ken
Posted By: SKane Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/17/11
Originally Posted by Tom264

I think its an injury occurrence while in velvet.
Whitetails have em too.

Tom, yes, an injury in velvet is generally the case. In many cases, particularly on the very ends, the tip is severed clean and develops the "acorn". I've also seen abnormal "acorns" and recesses that are caused by a parasite of some sort which is generally accompanied by a small hole somewhere around it.

I'll have to do some digging, I know I have one or two with examples of "acorns".
Over the years I have taken a few whitetails with acorn tip antlers. Not real common but not real rare either.

BCR
Posted By: Flinch Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/21/11
The acorns are caused from an injury when the animal was in the velvet. The soft, thin tips of the antlers get bumped, causing a small crack or break. The blood flow is still good, because the skin/velvet isn't torn. The antler growth continues and the bone/tissue is filled in and creates a bump in the antler. If you have ever broken a bone in your body and looked at the before and after ex-rays, the break will look a lot like the acorns on deer and elk. You will see it a lot more in heavily wooded areas, where the animals may bump their antlers on low hanging branches, moreso than farmland/flatland bucks. I have a couple of elk and a couple of mule deer with them. Flinch
Posted By: Team_Tricky Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/21/11
Originally Posted by firearms44
Took this idiot out of the gene pool. Must have injured the left side while in velvet.

[Linked Image]

Ken

How old was that deer when shot? Look YOUNG. Also, looks like if it would have grown it would have been a double main beam awesome one of a kind buck....
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/21/11
I got a 3x3 whitetail a couple of years ago with acorns on all 6 points. Seems odd he could get an injury on each point at exactly the same place.
Posted By: Flinch Re: "Acorn" tipped antlers - 04/21/11
Most of the injuries come from when the bucks try to use their antlers to scratch a hard to get at itch. They forget they aren't hard, so when they scratch, the tips get damaged. I have seen them try to scratch around their nuts and such many times, with their antlers. They do it very carefully and precisely, but they sure do know how to pinpoint the itch.

I have hunted a couple of areas where the deer get a lot of lice in their "nether regions". All the bucks I have seen use the tips of their antlers year round to get at the little critters biting them. They are very good at it. I suspect this is where a lot of the tips get damaged. Flinch
© 24hourcampfire