Home
Have you guys used them? I have 2 1/2 boxes I found for them in the basement. How have they worked. Shots will be pretty close. No longer than 200yds, as close as 5yds.
It's the only deer bullet I've loaded in both the 6mm and 243 for over 30 years. Usually with IMR 4350.

Dale
Are they 100gr. ?
Tom, Ive killed a couple arks full of deer with the 100 gr. Horns and 4350 too...

Excellent bullet...
If they are 100gr bullets you're all set. When I was using the 6mmRem. it was all I used. Kills the snot out of deer.
I have killed more than 40 deer with the Hornady 100 gr Interlock in my 6mm Remington. Never failed or lost a deer to them.
Originally Posted by super T
Are they 100gr. ?

Yep, sorry I forgot to add that. Factory loaded.
100 gr. Interlock over a load of 4350 and you're good to go. Plant it right and that's a very quick terminal combination.
All my buddies who shoot .243s use either the Hornady Interlock or the Nosler Ballistic Tip. They seem to get the same results from both-stone dead deer. The Ballistic Tip might be prettier, but the deer can't tell the difference.
Originally Posted by MOGC
100 gr. Interlock over a load of 4350 and you're good to go. Plant it right and that's a very quick terminal combination.

+1

I have two Rem 700's that love 42.3g of IMR 4350 with a Win primer, bullet seated to touch the lands, small groups and great penetration.
T,

I like Interlock bullets of all sizes so load them up and if your rifle likes them, rock on and kill some deer. To me, they represent the best C&C bullet you can load. I generally don't drive them as fast as I would a Partition for example and have never been disappointed with how they work on deer.
100gr. interlocks are the only bullets I've loaded in my wife's .243.......And that's been for over 20 years now.

Alway's kills quickly,she consistatly places her shot in the boiler room and that's the key to her sucess!

However, we have yet to recover a bullet that was intact! If you need a bullet that has the classic mushroom shape this one isn't it!

Impact distances are from 75yds out to 250 and never have they exited,always just find the jacket during field dressing..

She shoots a Remingtom 600 and with the short barrel velocities are quite mild. At the muzzle it's clocking 2800 fps....
As far as Im concerned 100 Horns are about as good as it gets. I've whacked big and small critters with that very bullet out of my 243's. My other fav is the no longer produced Nosler Solid Base. Each in the 100 gr. variety.

Joseph
It was my favorite factory fodder before I began reloading. Hornady stuff was always the most consistent ammo but other companies seemed to have really gotten there act tgether in that department the last few years as well- least from what I have seen. It would still be my first choice to try if I didn't load my own.
campcreek: just curious, were the 100gr Interlocks that you used flat bases or boat tails? thanks
They are flat base...I have always been of the mind that they would hold together better than a boattail...
Amen....have no clue how many my dad and I have wacked with this bullet. Kills the poop and snot out of bucks.

My experience is completely opposite of Campcreek. I have only recovered a couple of them and they are the classic muchroom. I have NEVER had one remotely come apart. They either exit with authority or I find them under the skin with a perfect mushroom. I am a shoulder shooter, so these bullets get a work out. Flinch
My experience with the Hornady 100gr. bullets are more in line with Flinch's. I do all the loading for me and my brother. Both of us have .243s and this has been our go to bullet for at least 15 years. I haven't recovered one and I don't think he has. Our loads use H4350 powder and run around 2900 fps. Go ahead and use them with no worries.
I may be in the minority here, but I prefer a tougher bullet in the 6mm's. I like an exit hole due to pine/briar thickets where I hunt. The 100gr Hornadies killed okay for me, but like some have mentioned, they won't exit as frequently as a Partition or Barnes.
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Go ahead and use them with no worries.

+1
If one cranked the velocity up to 3,500 fps with 85 gr. .243 bullets, as in the .240 Wby, wouldn't that change the equation regarding bullet selection? Wouldn't hyper-velocity favor going with the Interbond rather than the Interlock or SST? Velocity has a lot to do with how bullets perform and I'm a bit concerned with cup and core bullets at that speed. So far my most accurate load is with the 85 gr. TSX, the 85 gr. Interbond close behind, both at 3,500 fps. It seems to me that either would impart a lot of shock without blowing up.

DF
Methinks you are right.....currently shooting a 80TTSX @ 3450 cuz I know it will stay together at that speed...shot some deer with a Speer 85 grainer @3400 and it killed them, but wasnt stellar bullet performance.....

Besides that..I just like messin' with stuff!! grin
Originally Posted by ingwe

Besides that..I just like messin' with stuff!! grin

Me, too, ingwe. It must be some sorta disease process...

I think about this stuff way too much. On the other hand, maybe that's what's keeping me at least partially sane...

My story and I'm sticking to it...

DF
Its what is keeping my local sporting goods retailers in business.... grin
What's keeping my local sporting goods retailers in business is the retarded markups on reloading supplies. I refuse to pay $35 for a pound of RL-15! LOL....

Yup. .243+100Interlocked+4350= Deer deader than snot.

Steve
Big time!

Dober
Yup. .243+100Interlocked+4350= Deer deader than snot.

I've got the 95 gr. Bal Tip version of that working, per your recommendation. A new 243 needs blooding this fall. grin
Well, I'll be using them, but it will be with whatever Hornaday loads them with.

I hope to shoot it within a couple weekends.

November pics to follow. smile
I started using 100 gr 243 dia bullets back in the late 80's,when I bought a Ruger 77 in 6mm.They have always worked well for me,when I have hunted with a 243 dia rifle.
This year I am going to use a 243 again for the first time in quite awhile.I came across a box of 95 gr ballistic tips,and will be using them up for now,but when I run out,it will be hornady I get next.
My then 8 year old loved his .243 100 grain Hornadys, on his first deer. Now thats all he wants in his rifle won't even look at factory ammo.
I have used them in 2 different 6mm's with very good success. At the ranges you mentoned they should work fine.
© 24hourcampfire