Home
Posted By: tzone What's better than wool? - 10/28/11
Is their anything? My deer hunting clothes are now mostly wool. They're great for warmth and being quiet but are a pain to clean.

I'm open to ideas if anyone has anything better.
Polypropylene or polar fleece. It is lighter than wool, dries faster than wool, and its just as warm if worn under a wind proof layer. But I still like wool for the "cozy" feel it has.
Posted By: jpb Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11
Ingwe says that there is nothing he likes better than wool... but you know those Montana boys. smile

[Linked Image]

John
Originally Posted by jpb
Ingwe says that there is nothing he likes better than wool... but you know those Montana boys. smile

[Linked Image]

John

So I see you met my ex wife...

WildewewillregretdatingherAlaska ��2002-2011
True that wool is hard to clean usually but polypro trends to smell. Also wool is more durable than fleece.

ddj
Posted By: Ringman Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11
Most synthetics.
Posted By: tzone Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11
nope. I'll give you a few, but not most.
Posted By: TJAY Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11
I have been using Cabela's wooltimate fleece for a couple of years. It is a blend of wool and fleece that is very easy to care for. You can machine wash and dry in the dryer on low. It works well in the field and is very comfortable.
Originally Posted by tzone
Is their anything? My deer hunting clothes are now mostly wool. They're great for warmth and being quiet but are a pain to clean.

hard to beat beaver, for anything
Posted By: bluffview Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11
Synthetics have their place depending on conditions but I use a fair amount of wool. I tried a wool baselayer top a couple of seasons ago, bought another last year and picked up some bottoms a couple of weeks ago. I can wear the wool underwear a few days and not stink. Also found some woolrich pants in a wool/nylon blend with a camo pattern. My Mack Cruiser gets used for long cold days on stand, it's heavy but warm.

I use various weights of fleece for mid layers and put my wool vest over those, under my shell layer. My shell is either a fleece, soft shell, or hard shell, again depending on conditions and if I'm moving much.

20-25 years ago we would debate what was best to wear while sitting around the table at camp after spending a cold or wet day in the woods. I feel pretty good about staying warm and dry these days.

Edit: Then there's the waxed cotton stuff but not for deer hunting. Nice for busting brush chasing birds and bunnies.
Posted By: roundoak Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11

Not only a pain to clean, wool is heavy, absorbs water and attracts every cocklebur, sandburr and tickseed known to man.

I have carried on the WI,MI whitetail hunter tradition of my Granddad, Dad and Uncles wearing a Mackinaw wool coat and Malone wool pants. No more. Those clothes will not be hanging in the wind out on the back porch come November.

[Linked Image]

I understand the argument for wearing wool, but I have gone over to the dark side of wearing 60/40% blends and synthetics in a multilayered look.
Posted By: WIMN Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11
I would say go with a merino wool baselayer (Minus33 is a very affordable brand when compared to manufacturers like SmartWool) and use whatever you like (synthetics) over it. I'm a pretty sweaty guy and if I use a synthetic base layer, the fabric ends up stinking to high heaven. Wool doesn't really get stinky for me, and it's great at wicking. Cotton, on the other hand, is something I would avoid at all costs. It gets wet and stays wet, and starts to stink. When scent control is important in your hunt (such as when hunting deer), cotton should be avoided at all costs.
Posted By: tzone Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11
Originally Posted by northern_dave

as long as you're not too hard on it.
Posted By: wildone Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11

what the hell fun is that?
Posted By: Teal Re: What's better than wool? - 10/28/11

No kidding - learned the hard way. Ever see a bulldog eating mayo?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
Multi layering man made synthetics is comfy.
Posted By: Winnie Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
A Montanan mentioned a thong with some type of big cat print on it.

I really can not remember who it is. He likes the 270 and Savage rifles.

grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
And Ive been nice to you all day....
Posted By: jpb Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by ingwe

Harumph! I am feeling ignored... frown

John
This seemed fitting:

AC/DC dirty deeds done with sheep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOgbug
Originally Posted by jpb

Harumph! I am feeling ignored... frown

John

John...would it help if I told you that you would smoke a turd in hell...? grin
Posted By: jpb Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
That is better! grin Turdlike or bust...

John
Originally Posted by jpb
That is better! grin Turdlike or bust...

John

no telling what kind of pics THAT will get posted.... grin
Hey watch it, we'll get in trouble again if we start up another "bust" thread. whistle
Posted By: Winnie Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11

Wait...how did you know it was you?

I apologize. I promise to try and be nice. grin
Posted By: roundoak Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
Ingwe, before this thread degrades further I would like to ask.
Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots? Jer 13:23 grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucktail Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
I don't like wool for anything but an outer layer except for socks and the socks are usually blended with lycra and polyester. Up top I use underarmor loose or it's knock offs as my base layer, polyester fleece makes up the middle layer which may become the outer layer if it warms up. Wool holds up better in brush, but the fleece is lighter and more comfortable. I usually use a parka with holofill 808 or it's knock off if it's really cold. For pants I skip long johns and use fleece lined jeans if jeans aren't enough and add insulated bibs if needed.
The all knowing Grand Poobah...
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

John

This has gotta be one of the funniest "Honey Moon" photo's i've ever seen!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by bucktail
I don't like wool for anything but an outer layer except for socks and the socks are usually blended with lycra and polyester. Up top I use underarmor loose or it's knock offs as my base layer, polyester fleece makes up the middle layer which may become the outer layer if it warms up. Wool holds up better in brush, but the fleece is lighter and more comfortable. I usually use a parka with holofill 808 or it's knock off if it's really cold. For pants I skip long johns and use fleece lined jeans if jeans aren't enough and add insulated bibs if needed.

I quit using jeans long ago. I froze with them on even with johnnies under them. For the last few years I've been wearing wool blend long johns on the bottom layer and wool pants over that. I also have wool bibs to put over that if I'm on stand in cold.

This will be the first year I'll be using under armor 'loose' for a base on top. I also have some Gander knock off version. I usually have a med. wt wool coat for a top layer over whatever I throw on. Y'all are convincing me to try a fleece jacket and carry my top wool layer to the stand.
Posted By: krp Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
Poly base layers get rank quick, wool doesn't after multiple days... I will layer with fleece or synthetic over though. Can't take a wardrobe backpack hunting, an extra pair of wool socks is my luxury.

Kent
Originally Posted by bucktail

I quit using jeans long ago. I froze with them on even with johnnies under them. For the last few years I've been wearing wool blend long johns on the bottom layer and wool pants over that. I also have wool bibs to put over that if I'm on stand in cold.

This will be the first year I'll be using under armor 'loose' for a base on top. I also have some Gander knock off version. I usually have a med. wt wool coat for a top layer over whatever I throw on. Y'all are convincing me to try a fleece jacket and carry my top wool layer to the stand.

tzone, do you sit on stand in the rain or heavy wet snow with that wool coat as the outer garment?
Posted By: Eremicus Re: What's better than wool? - 10/29/11
I've used wool hunting clothing almost all of my life. Wool underware, socks, shirts and jackets, and pants. These days, the only wool I use for hunting is for pants. All of the rest have been replaced by better performing stuff.
For socks, I use Dahlgrens. They do have wool toes and heels for better wear, but the rest is a synthetic that wicks moisture away from the feet keeping them drier. I never use insulated boots any more, even when snowshoeing or elk hunting in below zero temperatures becxause of these socks.
I use Patagonia's base layer for underware as it can be worn for days w/o changing. Dries 2-3X faster than their comparable Merino Wool base layers. For a stop and go hunting in the mountains, this is really important. I've washed them in cold water, wrung them out and worn them dry several times. Really amazing.
I use Patagonia's Regulator Fleece as opposed to anybody else's for tops as it, too, dries very quickly and therefore I stays alot warmer. It does need a shell if it's raining or very windy.
The other thing I like are gaitors for the lower legs. Cabela's Gore-Tex work great. Burrs, etc, don't cling to them. They also keep the lower legs warm and dry. Be sure to leave them open on the tops unless you are in deep snow. E
Originally Posted by roundoak

tzone, do you sit on stand in the rain or heavy wet snow with that wool coat as the outer garment?

Yes. No problem with the snow. When it rains I'm either in the camp or I wear a gore-tex Scent Lock jacket I have if I plan on an all day sit in the rain. (no I don't think the scent lock works). It is very noisy, so I don't wear it any other time but in the rain.
I don't sit in the snow for deer; I don't cover much area, so I pack along a folding nylon canvas chair. It's a smaller one with no arms, so it carries better than you'd think. For calling coyotes, I've sat with the fleece lined jeans and the holofill 808 bibs without getting wet, but you're actually less likely to get wet when it's colder, deer hunting snow is a challenge because it's usually a wet snow that melts easily.

For elk hunting this year, I wore a jacket that I got on close out at Cabela's last year. I don't remember what the material is called, but it's a sort of polyester fleece that looks kind of like carpet. It handles the wind better than fleece; almost as well as wool at probably half the weight. The problem with it was that it didn't insulate well when wet like fleece or wool. I got one of the arms wet getting a tow strap off of the frame rail. It soaked up a lot of water, and wasn't warm again for about an hour.
I don't like Gore Tex in coats or pants. The damn stuff gets "krinkly" in the cold and sounds like you're wearing a tin foil suit. I've found Cabela's "dry plus" is better because it's quieter. I used to wear the traditional Woolrich red and black knickers and insulated mackinaw but no more. I've got a now discontinued Cabela's "dry plus" with thinsulate coat and pants that is waterproof, warmer, and still quiet in the cold and while moving through brush. Truth be told, it's way better than the old Woolrich outtfit in every way hands down. I believe my long johns are just ordinary fleece from Rocky but not sure. They are plenty warm but do get stinky fairly quick which is why I have three sets so I can change them every day. I do still wear wool socks and wool sweaters as a mid layer but that's all the use I have for wool these days.
It does get a bit krinkly, which is why I only wear it in the rain. The rain covers up a bit of the noise. If it rains too hard I don't go out a bunch.
I wear waxed cotton in the rain. There are probably better choices, but it's what I have.
I started deer hunting in the early 1960's in NJ,NY,PA & Maine. Back then everyone wore wool. My outfit back then was Duofold long underwear, chamois shirt and a wool blazer/mackinaw and wool pants. The last several years I have changed to Underarmor, thermal or fleece henley, fleece vest and cammo fleece jacket. If it is cold/wet/windy I wear a Browning Hydrofleece/Goretex jacket. When it warms up on stand I remove the Gortex jacket and use it as a blanket to keep my legs and lower body warm. A fleece balaclava and orange toboggan complete my outfit.
Posted By: elelbean Re: What's better than wool? - 11/07/11

I've got loads of top quality fleece (mainly Patagonia, Cabela's Berber) and loads of wool (Filson, LL Bean, Johnson). I too still prefer Wool.
If you like wool, but feel wool is a pain to clean, then pick a garment that is high in wool content with some nylon added to it. Most wool you buy from Woolrich and LL Bean is a 85% wool/15% nylon mix. I've actually tried to purposely shrink 2 of my XL Woolrich Alaskan shirts, older Woolrich Shawl sweaters, and a pair of new LL Bean 4 pocket guide pants. I've put them through hot washes/cold rinses and through a hot dryer several times, but they have not shrunk at all as far as I can tell. Imagine if you just used gentle wash, cold water and let air dry. All of these garments I mentioned said to dry clean only too BTW. None of the wool clothing I've had with a 10-15% nylon mixed in has ever shrunk.
I'd like to get me some wool...my cousin loves the wool pants that he wears...it's not woolrich, but another off name brand. Keeps him nice & warm.
Posted By: duckster Re: What's better than wool? - 11/07/11
I have the Cabela's Wooltimate and it is pretty good. I have some of Cabela's washable wool pants and they are good as well, a bit warmer and waterproof. I love fleece but around here there are too many burrs, stickers and such, it would be a mess after one trip.
© 24hourcampfire