Home
Thinking about getting a CZ 527 for my grandson, but I'm a little concerned about that slow twist for deer suitable bullets. Suggestions?
I can still stabilize 60 grains in my 12 twist.

More than that starts getting a little wobbly.

FWIW, 50gr Sierra Blitz's work fine on deer, but I think that's more about shot placement, in my case.
53 gr TSX works fine in my Tikka 22-250 which is slow twist.
50 gr. TTSX or 53 gr. TSX...no problemo.
I have an old L46 Sako that used to be a 222 Rem. It has a slower twist than 1:12. It would not shoot any std bullet over 55 gr and would not shoot the 53 TSX. But, it stacks 55 Hornady SPs into ittybitty groups. After I saw a monster deer on this board killed with 45 g TSXs that was a complete pass through, I bought some to try. Not only do they group like the 55 Hornadys, they shoot within a half inch of the Hornady's POI.

Now I am unsure which I'll actually chamber when I get in the woods.
I have the CZ with 1 in 12 twist and it handles the 60 grain Hornady. This bullet works well on the whitetail I have tried it on..
I have a 12 twist 527, and mine will shoot the 64 winchester powerpoint just fine, which is a heck of a deer bullet in .223. Also the 60 partition, and the old 60 garin Nosler solid base if you can find any. Hornady 60 hp too. Of course, the 53 TSX will work.
I say 53triple shock keep it under 200 shoot for the boiler room and don't worry about ribs or shoulder blade. The bullet can handle it.

That said I'd rather have a 1/10 223 that way I could play with heavier bullets. Heck I'd realty want a 1/8 1/7 I Wanamaker play with 95-105 great vlds.
Thanks guys, sounds like it's a non-issue.
Here's the last deer I killed with my swift 53 tripleshock deer went less the 50 and fell over dead. Centerd a rib on entrance did not exit. Range was 300is.
[Linked Image]

Found this when skinning the deer.
bullett now weighs 53 grains and is fatter then a 44 bullett
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I love the triple shock. I've also taken deer at 100is with it. Bullett exits deer dies fast.
.62 gr Federal Fusions shoot very well in my AR with 1-12. Just can't yet convince myself to use the .223 on deer, but thats just me.
© 24hourcampfire