Home
And then be sure it will drop DRT. I have always just shoot for the heart and lung area.
It's best to just keep 'em in the lungs IMO. Way too much crap can happen on neck shots.
I usually try for a heart/lung only but at least on 3 occasions I have done the neck shot, Seemed like no matter where I shot them on the neck they DRT.

Originally Posted by DayPacker
I have always just shoot for the heart and lung area.

Just keep doing that.....
I'll take a short-range neck shot on does I intend to eat. I prefer them to be facing straight toward me or straight away. Otherwise, I try to get a bullet in the chest, whatever the angle.
I used to go for neck shots, and never lost one. Now I realize there's a whole lot of neck and not a whole lot of spine, which you have to hit to drop 'em right there.
I've shot a handful in the neck. Usually facing straight towards me. With the double throat patch on a sitka I just put the crosshairs between the two patches, DRT everytime.
I'm a heart/lung guy.

ddj
If your going to do a shoulder mount then better be through the lungs.
Only do it on shots with the deer facing directly towards or away, but I'd go low, as the head end of the neck moves around more. On a side-on shot, for the same effect, through the top of the shoulders where the spine passes between the shoulder blades. Chews up a bit of meat with faster rounds though, as does the lower neck, but they're more secure than higher neck and head shots, though happy enough to take those on animals at short range if they're not alert.
I don't. Not on purpose anyway.

I hit a doe in the neck that was on a trot last year.
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
It's best to just keep 'em in the lungs IMO. Way too much crap can happen on neck shots.

Yep! Neck and head shots are tricky and TOO OFTEN result in wounded unrecovered gaminals. Plus by waiting and working for a broadside lung shot forces one to be patient and a better shot. Both "hunting" and the animals deserve at least THAT much respect!
I'm not saying don't take a neck shot but if you do you better have the correct placement.I'm a lunger myself, seen some mighty ugly neck shots in my day from hunting pards and too many deer suffering an agonizing end.If forced to take a neck shot on a trophy it would only be straight on period!!
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have always just shoot for the heart and lung area.

Just keep doing that.....

+1
I have only really taken lung/heart shots. Never have much issue, really.
And then be sure it will drop DRT. I have always just shoot for the heart and lung area.

Shoot for the spine, which is easier if the deer is facing directly towards or away from you. Not so much if the deer is broad side because most think the spine is lower than it actually is.

I don't always take neck shots, at times I don't feel 100% sure I will shoot lungs/heart.

Use a Sierra or Ballistic Tip bullet that will expand well and never track another deer. It makes for a neater field dressing job too.

[Linked Image]

My son at age five showing what good shot placement with a .222 Rem will do.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
By the way, if the deer is feeding wait for it to raise it's head. It won't move it's head down to resume feeding as quickly as it will snap it's head up. At times I will whistle to get the deer to raise it's head and look at me for a good shot at the neck. I've done that to stop a moving deer in the shooting lanes too. It's worked every time.
Originally Posted by TomA
If your going to do a shoulder mount then better be through the lungs.

I shot this guy in the neck with a 12 gauge slug at 60 yds.
Can't tell where I hit him as my taxi is good.
Btw, he dropped like a sack of crap....then I shot his girlfriend too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
kids love straps so i quit spine shots.
wife loves neck roast in the crock pot so no more neck shots.
I love heart (and liver) so i have to kkep my shots in the HIGH neck almost head or mid lung to ensure a happy family.
My all time favorite placement is quartering towards into the chest port side and out behind the shoulder starboard.
If they present only a neck/head shot, I have been shooting them in the head. It provides a DRT.
Originally Posted by Tom264
I usually try for a heart/lung only but at least on 3 occasions I have done the neck shot, Seemed like no matter where I shot them on the neck they DRT.

+1, though I don't understand it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I prefer to shoot a deer when it is standing towards me, looking at me and aim between the eyes. Having about 12 inches of vertical forgiveness is nice.

[Linked Image]

behind the ear works also and there seems to be a fair range of forgiveness here.

[Linked Image]

I am not saying that a neck shot is as forgiving as a lung shot, just that is you're comfortable with taking it, they have always dumped deer in their tracks for me.
ive shot a chit ton of deer in the neck. my ol man too. infact, i bet more then 90% of both our deer are head or neck shots. i think because we always draw on the head first to see what its wearing for horns or if any and then just drop a few inches and sqeeze. it happens that fast up here more often then not when still hunting or tracking. on running game we def shoot for the body but standing and bedded usually get it in the neck. we both carry 35 whelens, 350 rem mags, 375 winchester or 35 rem and '06. never once had one even quiver but i have heard lots of folks having issues w/ neck shots. the moose my ol man got this year was a neck shot and he went down hard and fast. he was in a trot, a quick glance through the scope at the rack to make sure it was a shooter and down a few inches and kerpowzo! lights out. i remeber always asking dad why he shot his deer in the head and neck all my little kid days of tagging along and now i find myself doing the same thing......??
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
10-4. You ever see how fast a deer can jerk it's head/neck up or around? I've seen a couple deer having a rough time of it without lower jaws. My guns are almost 3 in. high at 100 yds to be dead on at 300. I don't need the aggravation of getting a piece of windpipe only. I do like to head shoot squirrels though, with a .22.
I shoot what is offered

[Linked Image]
All I could see was a softball size pc of his neck. Core Lokt exited the nuts. He rolled over

[Linked Image]
They ain't always broadside at a feeder

[Linked Image]
Little fellas can pick a spot too�

[Linked Image]
Biggest mistake I ever made by not shooting a buck in the neck resulting me passing the biggest buck I ever had a chance on in my life, a 180" 8 pt monster....I had him at 65 yds with my muzzleloader in the scope only just his head and neck....I already had him mounted in my head and didnt want to ruin the cape so I didnt shoot figuring he would give me a better shot only he turned 180 degrees and walked off in line with a large tree.....regrets.

Btw, the reason I know he was 180" is the neighbor hit it with his truck a few days later. sick

I like a neck roast too much to plunk them in the neck.
I poke the neck quite a bit... the older I get

[Linked Image]
If you can bust some spine, you'll be just fine
I have shot many, many deer in the neck--it's the preferred shot for research/collecting/culling. I aim to hit the second vertebra below the joint between the skull and the spine. A hit in this area ruins very little, if any, meat. I have collected deer (and shot deer for my own table) with this hold using cartridges ranging from .222 Rem Mag to .30-06. The vast majority were taken with either the .222 mag, a .223 or a .22-250.

My wife likes this shot with her .280 and 140 Partitions, as there is no bloodshot meat to trim. It is a shot that neither of us routinely takes without a solid field rest. However, I have taken a handful of deer this way, off-hand, that were within 70 yards or less.
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I shoot what is offered

ditto
I usually shoot does in the neck to preserve all of the meat. Never had one take a single step.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like a neck roast too much to plunk them in the neck.

Lungs do destroy the least meat, but it seems that a lot of our does around here don't pack enough beef in the neck area to worry about a roast. Some burger grindings are a given. I can usually get some good neck meat off most mature bucks, although I'm much more likely to take whatever killing shot I'm offered.

The nanny on the back rack was shot in the neck at maybe 25yds, and I doubt there was much of a roast to be lost, as her chicken-neck was fairly similar to the one on the front rack. grin

[Linked Image]
My take on this is that if you actually debone a half neck while its on the carcass, you find that the neck has spine in center as it dips out of the back, trying to get to the center of the neck low, and then as it snakes up to the head it transitions much higher as it has to enter the back side of the skull. So you have a long skinny target, basically about 1.5 to 2 inches wide that is in variable location depending on WHERE you shoot in the neck. I can hit it each time at any angle or place since I study anatomy and process my own deer, and many of them at a time often due to hunting in groups of friends and family. But for those that don't study, its a harder target than you think and there is room for error. Of course a fragmenting bullet can help, but PDS noted using a sierra, I'm guessing game king, and I've seen those pencil through a couple of times so nothing is perfect.

OTOH if you have to have DRT, the brain presents a ROUND target, often 4 plus inches in size. And if you take a head shot like I do, I've never seen one messed up. I simply watch them feed and when they pick their head up to look, I put the crosshairs on the center, and then let them move down to graze again, and then I make a noise to alert them, when that head comes up two things happen, first its going to stay there for 4-5 seconds, and it doesn't take but about 1-2 max for me to shoot, and second, the head pops up right where the crosshairs were already waiting, safety off, finger on trigger... bang. Plus I"m aiming at a round target that has a decent size. So I don't have to worry about angle of shot basically, round is still round and center of that is dead.

Now I do 2 other things that I used to not do. I shoot enough gun, as I"ve noticed that folks taht have messed up in the past, had they shot something more like a 308, their shots that missed the brain by an inch, would have shattered the skull anyway had it been a large enough round. We have used a 300wtby custom of mine for a LOT of heads. YOu have room to err there just in case. And I tend to err towards not quite center but high center, that way IF they'd actually move for some reason, they can't raise their head more and me get a low shot, i'd rather miss high than hit low. That being said many have said they've finished wounded head shots and I can't count how many I've done, teh wife, friends etc... and I've never seen one lost ever. 2 that I can think of, one just this past Jan we had to follow because my friend didn't do the shot properly, and we had to track her a bit and shoot her again. Not unlike muffed ribcage shtos though.

ALl that being said, long skinny target vs round centered target of the brain, I still take a lot of lung shots over anything else. With a non BT type bullet you don't even waste much rib meat if any to speak of. And its a bigger still target.

The bottom line if you are going to take a neck or head shot then study the actual anatomy(you'd be surprised when I taught hunter ed how many couldn't place bone or vital structure on a deer picture that we used... even folks that had hunted all their lives....) and make sure you are 200% sure of whatever shot you choose before you pull the trigger.

Good luck, Jeff
Any drawings or pictures of where the spine runs through the neck?
Somewhere I have a carass shot but I don't know if I can find it today to post, I"ll see.

There are some pics on the net if you search, I've seen them posted before.
phuggin photo bucket editors.... I gotta send them a nasty email.... removing some pics from MY album because they had blood... what idiots... But here goes... string is where the spinal column is.

[Linked Image]
the hair at the top of this one is top of neck at about C2/3 or so, showing how high the spine has to jump to get to the back of the skull at C1. The double string is hit between the strings ant its dead... throat on left, top of neck on right, and you can see part of ear on right.... second single string is layed out to the left on the cartoid artery/juglar to show thats also a vital hit, but miss by anything and you hit esophagus/windpipe/flesh and no vital hit.
[Linked Image]

I'll get an argument over the string here, but any larger caliber hit inside the string will hit the brain or shatter the skull such that the deer is dead by trauma ... bottom string got a bit low, should be line of that twisty...
[Linked Image]
I'm into breaking shoulders, can't see the appeal of a brain pan or neck shot. If I loose 5 pds of meat I don't really care. Dead deer and lower chance of wounding.
I've shot a couple in the neck recently and they both have been on the lower half of the neck and in the center. Both dropped where they were standing. Used a .308 with 165gr Interlocks.
Originally Posted by gunnut308
All I could see was a softball size pc of his neck. Core Lokt exited the nuts. He rolled over

Heck, if a bullet went through my nuts I'd roll over too! wink

Nice deer!

John
Originally Posted by sam308
I've shot a couple in the neck recently and they both have been on the lower half of the neck and in the center. Both dropped where they were standing. Used a .308 with 165gr Interlocks.

If bullets frag up right, and the frags hit, the bullet doesn't have to hit the spine, but you are back to taking chances and I don't like taking chances personally, IE the shots that teh bullet misses the target.
Originally Posted by cfran
I'm into breaking shoulders, can't see the appeal of a brain pan or neck shot. If I loose 5 pds of meat I don't really care. Dead deer and lower chance of wounding.

The actual shoulder blade covers some non vital tissue, so I always cringe a bit when folks say they are shoulder shooters, often the frags of bone and bullet make up for a too high shot, but its possible to hit both shoulder blades and never kill the deer.
Here are a couple diagrams of a deer's anatomy. Note that the spine goes up the dead center of the neck. A hit on it and he's down. The 2d pic is the circulatory system. There are several main arteries & veins in the neck, the big blue colored jugular being a sure kill, but there's no guarantee of a DRT hit on those. Even taking out the jugular can let the deer make a good 100 yds if it's spooked. They can run dry for an amazing distance sometimes.

If you miss both of those, you might well be letting the deer die a slow death a long ways away. I'll take a lung shot every time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rost495

The actual shoulder blade covers some non vital tissue, so I always cringe a bit when folks say they are shoulder shooters, often the frags of bone and bullet make up for a too high shot, but its possible to hit both shoulder blades and never kill the deer.

Hey rost - I 'respectfully' disagree with your assessment.

IF a bullet goes thru BOTH shoulders, the front end is disabled.
The deer, buck/doe, will have to push itself with the hind legs. No.1 it wont go far IF it doesn't die.

No.2 I haven't seen any deer survive BOTH shoulders being taken out. (40 yrs deer hunting)

No.3 A high shoulder shot will 'usually' transmit enough energy to dismantle the CNS or the backbone vertebrate.

That said, my normal, preferred shot is the lungs. I have shot the head, neck, & shoulders but prefer the lung shot for less wasted meat.
Check the previously posted skeletal diagram. What most guys call the shoulder is anything in front of and above the point of the elbow. Much of that is lung and the heart is in there, too. If you hit bone on a broadside shot, you're shooting too far forward.
10/4, a shoulder is a shoulder, not an upper leg.

+1
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by rost495

Hey rost - I 'respectfully' disagree with your assessment.

IF a bullet goes thru BOTH shoulders, the front end is disabled.
The deer, buck/doe, will have to push itself with the hind legs. No.1 it wont go far IF it doesn't die.

No.2 I haven't seen any deer survive BOTH shoulders being taken out. (40 yrs deer hunting)

No.3 A high shoulder shot will 'usually' transmit enough energy to dismantle the CNS or the backbone vertebrate.

That said, my normal, preferred shot is the lungs. I have shot the head, neck, & shoulders but prefer the lung shot for less wasted meat.

Note that I said possible, and mostly this is a worthless discussion because most folks are not hitting the high blade in reality, because they don't know where it is, they just think they do. Hell most folks don't even process deer these days.

On the contrary bone wise, if you break the bones below the shoulder, the deer only plows, but a broken high shoulder, on both sides, really doesn't affect the movement of the deer that much anyway. Again its difference of where folks think things are vs where they actually are.

To my way of thinking if you took the joint of the bone below the blade, thats joint being hit depending on angle almost always totals the heart. So the blade is above the heart to start with mostly. Now if you go up about 1/3 of the way of the blade you are good safe heigh wise but if you center that bone, then you are shooting awful far forward that gives a lto of leeway to the rear but none at all to the front.

Best shot to me thats a non CNS, broadside in teh crease and couple of inches above the white hair.

But seems you way has worked and you may well be shooting a caliber and bullet style that helps it work. Which is good by me too.
© 24hourcampfire