Home
This year's deer hunting has been unusual in my part of WVa. Almost nonstop rain for two days and warm. I know about using painter's tape to keep rain out of the barrel but what's the best product to protect your trigger? My son's Model 700 trigger really got rusty and made the safety really hard to put on fire. Took the rifle apart and the trigger was a mess. Know there are people on here who hunt in the rain on the west coast and Alaska where it rains almost everyday. Suggestion please?
Dyna-Gun Shield.
i just wipe mine dopwn everynight after a hunt in the rain. it gets a coat of breakfree usually...or clenzoil
your truck. smile
I just dry mine off with paper towels and prop it in the corner by the woodstove to dry out {action open}. Then I wipe it down with an oily rag before going to bed. At the end of the season it gets detail stripped and thoroughly cleaned. Been following the same routine for 30 years and my rifles are still rust free.
Stainless steel!!! grin
Plain Turtle Wax.

WD-40 smile
Originally Posted by LRW
Stainless steel!!! grin

We had so many rainy opening days here in Pennsylvania that I decided to sell my rifle and get a stainless one. Yesterday, I was glad I did. Got a stainless muzzleloader too, and a .17 HMR.

Steve
Johnson's paste wax works great and is pretty durable. Turtle wax works well as mentioned above. Just coat the rifle out of the stock before the season, and check it after the season or if it gets a good soaking.

Paint on stainless works great, but remember even stainless rusts and it is hard to know exactly what is going on in the bore.
Corrosion-x or LPS spray or cerakote
Wrap it in a big trash bag nice and tight. Cut a hole for the trigger, scope lenses, and rock on. grin
Remington XCR rifles have a "Trinyte" finish. So far mine seem impervious to crappy weather conditions and we certainly get our share around here...

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xcr.aspx

If I actually get the trigger wet enough that I'm worried about rust I use <gasp> WD-40 which never let me down when all I could afford was beat up old blued guns that wanted to rust when it rained a hundred miles away. LOL

$bob$
Any kind of oil works as long as the gun is ALWAYS oily

A rusted trigger mechanism is from neglect, and not from just sitting in the rain
Car wax
For those that wipe down after rain... don't be surprised if you ever pull the action from the stock and there are rusted parts you can't wipe down....

Protect it physically and coat it with dynashield is my choice.

Beyond that I'd wax it if I didn't want to go the above route, but make sure you take it out of the stock adn wax EVERYTHING.

And remember if you take it out of the stock, unless you are bedded and have a torque reading(that leaves most folks out) you need to check the zero on the rifle again.
3minutes at the end of the day. Have yet to see one melt from wet or rust up with minimal care. For those who hunt around salt water and lots of rain, the internals would certainly take some additional care.

Rifles used a lot get rubbed on. Just how it works. Have yet to see any rifle or shotgun that was used hard not be.

All of the above work, although WD-40 would be my last choice of those listed. I've seen it dry to a flaky film when used too often and then the rifle put up for and extended time.
If the gun gets soaked in a good rain, I pull it apart and use WD-40, let it sit for a bit, wipe the WD-40 off and use my standard gun/cleaner (CLP, Hoppes Elite, etc). WD-40 displaces water but I don't find to useful for much else gunwise.
Never, ever, ever put WD-40 anywhere on or near a firearm.

Use Johnson's Paste Wax well before the hunt.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Corrosion-X or CeraKote

Or Stainless.
© 24hourcampfire