Home
I've often been careful not to urinate where I'm huntin but I've also heard peein in a scrape will drive a buck nuts...not scare him off. Any hunters here pee in scrapes to get a buck's attention??? What say you??
Had a cameras on several good scrapes this last season, and got pictures of both bucks and doe urinating there.
I would occasionally use a little Tinks 69 in the scrapes to see if it would pick up activity any. Sometimes it did a little, and sometimes not at all.
After reading about folks peeing in scrapes, I thought I would try it in one of the 4 scrapes I had cameras on for comparison.
The 3 that I used either nothing or Tinks 69 in kept the same amount of visitors to them.
The one scrape I peed in saw a BIG increase in activity. I would say I had 3 to 4 times as many deer checking that one scrape than the other 3 I had left alone.
Could have been a fluke, but it really got my attention.

So, I tried something else. One of the scrapes was along the edge of a pasture bordered by thick cover. It was being used, but the bucks had only made that ONE scrape in that area.
I made a mock scrape about 30 yards further down from the existing scrape and peed in it instead of using a bottled scent.
I gave it 3 days and went back to check the area.
There were now 9 (yes, I said 9) new scrapes along that pasture edge. Could have been ANOTHER fluke, but it really seemed like the mock scrape supercharged the deer into making more scrapes.

Far from absolute PROOF that human urine works better than bottled urine, but it sure was an eye opener to the possibility.
You also need to rub the edge of your eyelid on an overhanging branch while you are there. Just be real careful. grin
It also helps to pee on ones knees and rub them together.
Don't forget to thrash the bush and sharpen your horn!
Sharpening your horn sounds painful.
yep
You might also want to wear a chastity belt, in case that big buck slips up behind you.
Almost all wild animals will check out a new scent, and cover it with their own scent if they are territorial at all. Trappers use fox urine and catch bobcats, coyotes, coons, fox etc. Animals check out different scents, and it is natural to do so.

You really can't go wrong by pouring a coke in a scrape. If the scrape isn't smelling like the dominant buck in the area, he will take that as a threat, and saturate the area with scrapes and rubs marking his territory.

Deer spooking from human urine is an old wives tale. It is the human presence and intrusion into core areas that they are more likely to spook from.
Yep, everytime I can.
a little ammonia will do...
Eat some asparagus the night before you pee in the scrape. I don't know about the bucks but it sure gets my attention! sick
Pee in them all the time.
You need to recognize the difference between territorial scrapes and active ones.

Don't know anything about pissing in them, but have my doubts about it driving a buck crazy... whistle

If it was a consistently effective trick, I'm sure we would have heard about it long before now.

The stuff you read On the Internet...

What I know-the scrapes that I pee in get hit much more than those that I don't.
I have, and have seen where bucks go nuts over it.
I've done it and have seen more activity at those sites. However, it has done little as far as getting me a buck. I think what increases your chances of seeing a big buck during shooting light is a hot doe. So, you might want to bring your wife out to pop a squat in the woods for you.
Originally Posted by doubletap
Sharpening your horn sounds painful.

Well, look, you want to shoot that big buck or not?

grin
Have Schoolkraft pee in a bottle and sell it! ;o) I have never peed in one but guess I will start.
I have started my own new scrapes with my own pee and some spit on a licking branch. More than once it became an active scrap visited by both sexes.
jmho
Tim
I'did.
Think about it. It may pull a change up for the better. Wind.
Yes all the time.
Another stupid but effective thing I've done; I stole one of my wife's apple scented candles and burned it while hunting in a new spot that I had no time to properly scout. It brought in several does who had their noses in the air looking for a treat. One happened to bring a friend along in tow that I put a tag on the antler of.
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I feel like I actually learned something new and significant to add to my hunting knowledge.
Originally Posted by brinky72
Another stupid but effective thing I've done; I stole one of my wife's apple scented candles and burned it while hunting in a new spot that I had no time to properly scout. It brought in several does who had their noses in the air looking for a treat. One happened to bring a friend along in tow that I put a tag on the antler of.

A kid I hunted with in the suburbs one year swore by this. said they come in nose-up.
You should chit in it to hah:)
Another stupid but effective thing I've done; I stole one of my wife's .....

Was wondering where that was about to go.....if the scented candles work then i have next season handled....i will just build a bonfire and dump the 18000$ worth of my wifes flameless candle wax on it.. What is the stuff called? Scentsy?
Vanilla, anise, and peanut butter watered down enough to spray through a spray bottle are also good curiosity scents for attracting deer.

For 8 years I lived in the 'burbs and had deer in the 3 acre back yard every evening, up to 17 at one time. I use to put all kinds of stuff out in the yard and see how they reacted to it, watched them work scrapes and jockeying for dominance. Deer are very curious and will check out any interesting scents that they aren't threatened by.
There used to be a oak tree limb that there was a scrape under every year until my Nephew put a scent drippier there. It has been fifteen years and never another scrape. miles
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I feel like I actually learned something new and significant to add to my hunting knowledge.
I've also heard from reading other forums that the sound of a man pissing from 15ft up down onto dry leaves will arouse their curiosity too.

YMMV

laugh
LMRFAO
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've also heard from reading other forums that the sound of a man pissing from 15ft up down onto dry leaves will arouse their curiosity too.

YMMV

laugh

I've heard that they become even more curious if a hunter also drops solid waste from that height, too.
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by slumlord

YMMV

laugh

I've heard that they become even more curious if a hunter also drops solid waste from that height, too.

i should have them all over me then. laugh
I noticed many years ago the fact that piss in or near a scrape could cause curiosity or even increase activity. Don't know why, but it does work.

I also have seen that the smell of tobacco will attract deer either through curiosity or something. Not cigarettes, but chewing tobacco. Several times I've had deer walk under a tree where I was sitting 30' above and smell, paw and lick where I was spitting.

The strangest I've seen is the reaction of buck deer to the scent of a woman at...."that time of month". At first I wasn't sure this was a real reaction until I experimented. I "borrowed something from the girlfriend".....used Kotex.....and hung it near a scrape. The next morning there WAS increased activity. The deer had created a NEW scrape under the hanging Kotex and abandoned the original scrape 20 yards away. Since then I've done this a number of times with almost always a positive result.

Note: I tried to get her to go to the woods with me and pee in the scrapes, but she was having nothing to do with that idea.
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I noticed many years ago the fact that piss in or near a scrape could cause curiosity or even increase activity. Don't know why, but it does work.

I also have seen that the smell of tobacco will attract deer either through curiosity or something. Not cigarettes, but chewing tobacco. Several times I've had deer walk under a tree where I was sitting 30' above and smell, paw and lick where I was spitting.

The strangest I've seen is the reaction of buck deer to the scent of a woman at...."that time of month". At first I wasn't sure this was a real reaction until I experimented. I "borrowed something from the girlfriend".....used Kotex.....and hung it near a scrape. The next morning there WAS increased activity. The deer had created a NEW scrape under the hanging Kotex and abandoned the original scrape 20 yards away. Since then I've done this a number of times with almost always a positive result.

Note: I tried to get her to go to the woods with me and pee in the scrapes, but she was having nothing to do with that idea.

Chris Hansen might want to talk to you.
Who is Chris Hansen??? I missed the joke I guess.
[Linked Image]
laugh
you all are friggin sick puppies

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaa!!!1!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by renegade50
you all are friggin sick puppies

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaa!!!1!!!!!!!!!
thank you sir laugh
Originally Posted by Esox357
Have Schoolkraft pee in a bottle and sell it! ;o) I have never peed in one but guess I will start.

Now taking orders .....
Piss in them often
I do....espically if I'm with someone that thinks a lil pp scares deer away.
Originally Posted by snowwalker
Another stupid but effective thing I've done; I stole one of my wife's .....

Was wondering where that was about to go.....if the scented candles work then i have next season handled....i will just build a bonfire and dump the 18000$ worth of my wifes flameless candle wax on it.. What is the stuff called? Scentsy?

Yep..my wife killed her first buck doin same thing. Wasn't a candle though...grin.
[Linked Image]
Just don't take her bear hunting during that time of the month.......unless you don't like her.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You need to recognize the difference between territorial scrapes and active ones.

Don't know anything about pissing in them, but have my doubts about it driving a buck crazy... whistle

If it was a consistently effective trick, I'm sure we would have heard about it long before now.

The stuff you read On the Internet...

There's a reason you don't read about this more. I know an outdoor writer who once told me he pee's in scrapes all the time. He also said he knows others who do it, but that no one mentions this tactic in the magazines because it would make advertisers selling deer urine unhappy.

I pee in scrapes, and it never hurts anything. It often helps. I don't believe deer can tell the urine is from a human, and it doesn't take long to break down into ammonia. So, all they know is someone was there. They respond because they want to know who it was.

Steve.
© 24hourcampfire