Home
Posted By: BCJR DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/01/12
Looking to do a DIY Columbia Blacktail hunt in 2013. If any of you W.A. or O.R. guys would be willing to share some info I could trade for info on I.D. Elk or Whitetail or Bears.
Thanks
Originally Posted by BCJR
Looking to do a DIY Columbia Blacktail hunt in 2013. If any of you W.A. or O.R. guys would be willing to share some info I could trade for info on I.D. Elk or Whitetail or Bears.
Thanks

I've killed a few Columbians, including one that scores 145+ net B&C. The biggest buck came from California, but Oregon has some giants too, as does Washington State. Ever since O'Connor killed that big ten-pointer near the Snake River, I've always been interested in hunting around Lewiston. Possibly we might trade info. Hit me up sometime and we'll talk.
Posted By: ribka Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/01/12
Let me look at some of my notes and will pm you.

What is a good buck in your opinion?
Originally Posted by ribka
Let me look at some of my notes and will pm you.

What is a good buck in your opinion?

Sure, whenever you have time. In terms of "good", that's a personal choice and it would depend on an individual's taste and/or preference. Also, "good" would depend on location, too. Anyway, get back to me whenever you have time.
My advice, go to southern Oregon or northern Cali and skip Washington.
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Ever since O'Connor killed that big ten-pointer near the Snake River, I've always been interested in hunting around Lewiston.

Blacktails around Lewiston and the Snake???

**nevermind, talking about a hunt swap type of thing**
Posted By: wrench_man Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/02/12
Originally Posted by NWO
Ever since O'Connor killed that big ten-pointer near the Snake River, I've always been interested in hunting around Lewiston.

Pretty wild since they aren't recognized east of I5? and are "Bench Legs" from I5 to the Pacific crest trail, that's still about 150 miles west of Lewiston?
Originally Posted by NWO

**nevermind, talking about a hunt swap type of thing**

No, there aren't any Columbians anywhere near west-central Idaho.
Yeah, at firsts was wondering what you were smoking lol. Or kind of like some *some* of those Cali "blacktails" that are actually muleys. Those Cali boys sure get sensative about their blacktails too. Some are, some aren't - depends where in Cali.
Originally Posted by NWO
Yeah, at firsts was wondering what you were smoking lol. Or kind of like some *some* of those Cali "blacktails" that are actually muleys. Those Cali boys sure get sensative about their blacktails too. Some are, some aren't - depends where in Cali.

Yeah, there's some huge hybrids east of the I-5 corridor, but I've never hunted them that far east. When I shot that 145+ B&C net typical, I was between the coast and I-5. In terms of the highest percentage of huge purebred Columbians, I've noticed that the counties in southwestern Oregon and those in northwestern California are hands-down the best for finding and possibly killing a truly tremendous buck. But, on occasion, west-central Washington State produces some truly huge bucks, too. Anyway ......
Posted By: ribka Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/03/12
W WA holds some really big bucks. Every year I see a few pushing 150 plus when hiking, fishing and bear hunting.

OR holds a higher percentage of big blackmails. Cannot speak to California as I have not hunted there.
WA. does indeed have some huge blacktails running around out by the coast but they are few and far between as compared to southern OR. and northern CA.

Posted By: Seafire Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/04/12
you guys referring to something like this big 210 pound one?

[Linked Image]

still had dried blood all over its antlers from its last fight with another buck for mating rights....

7 x 57 Featherweight, 115 grain Speer HP, heart shot, 50 yds..
Posted By: ribka Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/04/12
Nice Large bodied BT there
Originally Posted by Seafire
you guys referring to something like this big 210 pound one?

[Linked Image]

still had dried blood all over its antlers from its last fight with another buck for mating rights....

7 x 57 Featherweight, 115 grain Speer HP, heart shot, 50 yds..

I've had better luck with 140 grain pills. I'm surprised that little hollow-point made it in deep on something that size. But, you never know, I guess. Interesting.
Posted By: Seafire Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/13/12
At the distance I was hunting at, and the MV I was loading it to... was more than adequate... little pre season penetration testing, many years ago, showed me how well 'varmint bullets' penetrate when their MVs slow down...

what got me started is that instead of having to drive thru town to go to our local range, I will go the other way, out onto forest service land, and set up the chrony and shoot right from off the hood of the truck or the top of the car...

I would use a tree as a back stop for the shot...

this was during testing for my Blue Dot and SR 4759 loads for teaching kids etc..via Boy Scouts...

I was highly surprised to see day light thru some of these trees, after a dozen or so shots...

so I just tested penetration with some of these loads, thru wood of varying sizes...

what I found highly surprised me......

but putting some thought into it... it made perfect sense..

these bullets are made to be fragile on the front end.. but have to have enough of a core to them, for the high velocities people will load them to, to withstand the twist of the barrel they will be shot in...

combine that with military training on how to take care of wounds made by folks getting shot in combat...

everything has its 'window of opportunity'.. this experimentation allowed me to further understand that...

and as far as the bullet making it into something that deep...it actually made it all the way thru to the far side... wasn't enough left to exit...but performed much the same as a ballistic tip...

and this is the view of the heart from the above deer....

and the lungs on each side of it were pretty much in the same shape...

[Linked Image]

he wasn't going far...

MV was about 2400 fps or so...IIRC..
Posted By: Winnie Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/14/12
Nice to see California getting recognized.

Here is a few that a guy I know took.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He had a few others ones from both years as well.

I talked to him for a while and told me that I could go hunting with him for this year's bow season and kill some pigs as well. I can not wait for this year's deer season. grin

Also here is a "trophy" forky that I took a picture of.

[Linked Image]
Big blackies are where you find them...

[Linked Image]

Sometimes, if you get the right camo, they'll walk right up to you...

[Linked Image]

Even when it gets really cold...

[Linked Image]

P
Posted By: Winnie Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/14/12
No 1 is wide!
Yeah, the Coast Range of California is hard to beat in terms of super huge Columbians. Of course, private land offers the best odds at a truly huge buck, but if a person is willing to go off-the-map on federal land and then spend some time, a noteworthy trophy is definitely a possibility if not a probability.
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/16/12
How hard are you willing to work?
Posted By: Rogue Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/18/12
Usually get a decent one every couple/few years. There are good bucks around but you've got to work for them. Lots of miles, though big canyons. Just like elk hunting show up in shape and you'll up your odds.

Bench Leg
[Linked Image]
Pure breds
[Linked Image]
Bench Leg
[Linked Image]
Cougar kill pure bred
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Rogue280/BanryCamp2006054.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by Rogue
Usually get a decent one every couple/few years. There are good bucks around but you've got to work for them. Lots of miles, though big canyons. Just like elk hunting show up in shape and you'll up your odds.

Bench Leg
[Linked Image]
Pure breds
[Linked Image]
Bench Leg
[Linked Image]
Cougar kill pure bred
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice shed. That's somewhere around a 140-class typical main-frame buck. Would love to see the matching antler on that deer. That's certainly a wonderful Columbian deer.
Posted By: Rogue Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/20/12
We spent an amazing amount of time looking for the other side. I don't think he was killed this past year when I was in Iraq. Still some hope to put him on the ground.
Posted By: ribka Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/20/12
Nice bucks

Originally Posted by Rogue

Bench Leg
[Linked Image]
Pure breds
[Linked Image]
Bench Leg
[Linked Image]
Cougar kill pure bred
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Seafire Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/21/12
Mike, nice family pics...
Posted By: Rogue Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 03/22/12
Always a good time John. I'll try to give you a call tomorrow.
Posted By: Rogue Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 09/23/12
Oregon rifle season starts on the 29th. Wishing all the best.

Mike
Posted By: Seafire Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 09/28/12
Mike,

best of luck to you and the family for this season...

only taking 2 boys out this season, so I might actually get in some more hunting time myself this year...

will start out with a 260 for opening morning...
Posted By: doubletap Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 09/29/12
Lots of public land in Oregon and lots of Blacktail. Most of the pressure is close to roads so if you do some walking, especially during the week, rather than the weekend, you can have lots of territory to yourself. I've seen some really big Blacktail bucks between Ashland and Klamath Falls.
Posted By: Rogue Re: DIY Columbia Blacktail? - 10/03/12
Won't get to do as much rifle hunting as most years because of work. Did see a few smaller bucks this weekend but no early season shooters.

I did see a federal 260 Rem case lying in an old log road.

Some decent bucks anywhere a spotlight won't hit from a roadway.
© 24hourcampfire