Home
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Shed Hunting - 03/05/12
I am in southwest oklahoma. I went shed hunting for the first time this season yesterday afternoon. I did not find any. The only thing I got was 5 armadillo's. I checked my trail cameras and I had a few pictures of some bucks with no horns, but I had more pictures of bucks with horns. I had a nice 125 class 8 point yesterday morning on my trail camera. I figured they would have all dropped thier horns by now. I was just wanting some feedback on what you have found so far.
Posted By: Engine22 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/05/12
It appears that the antlers have been dropped around here, just haven't had time to shed hunt, yet wink
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/05/12
I figured they would be dropped here also, but it looks like most of them have not. I will be out this weekend to see if I can find any
Posted By: Engine22 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/05/12
Just found 2 on a short walk with the dogs. I'll load a pick later, time to pick up the kids.
Posted By: BIGR Re: Shed Hunting - 03/06/12
I say a small buck yesterday before dark and he still had his horns on.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/06/12
Central OK here,..have 3 dinks behind the house that I've been feeding thru winter. They still have their antlers...
Posted By: Butler247 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/06/12
Southeast Oklahoma. No sheds found yet but did have a little buck with one antler on game came a few weeks ago.
Posted By: Jesse_James Re: Shed Hunting - 03/06/12
In south central Kansas I am still seeing bucks with antlers, but am still going o hea out hunting this weekend.
Posted By: Boise Re: Shed Hunting - 03/06/12
Bucks holding the antlers late into the season is one sign of deer with low stress.
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/09/12
Well it looks like I am not going to be able to shed hunt this weekend. We are getting some much needed rainfall. I guess I will hang out in the reloading room this weekend.
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/12
I went yesterday morning before the rain, didn't find anything. Saw a turkey and jumped up a few deer. Maybe next weekend...
Posted By: privatepilot Re: Shed Hunting - 03/13/12
I have found 5-6 so far this year, a couple decent ones, but I have also still seen some carrying their horns.
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Shed Hunting - 03/13/12
What part of the country are you in?
Posted By: rl11 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/13/12
Our whitetail have been all over the place this year. I started picking up fresh horns first week of January, and saw a buck still carrying this week. Same size as the first couple I picked up in January.
Posted By: privatepilot Re: Shed Hunting - 03/15/12
I am in Northern Missouri. I will post a pic of what I have found so far tomorrow. I would like to see some more pics of what everyone else is finding
Posted By: retrieverman Re: Shed Hunting - 03/15/12
I am heading to NW Oklahoma in a couple of weeks to shed and turkey hunt. I wasn't able to go until September last year, and I found 18 with 5 match sets.
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/15/12
Nice find. I usually only find three or four horns a year.
Posted By: ZEKEOB Re: Shed Hunting - 03/15/12
I saw the remains of a small buck that had horns over the weekend that got hit by a car in southern Oklahoma. I've been out a couple of times this past month with no luck. Probably going out this evening to see what I can find, should be coming off anytime you would think.
Posted By: rl11 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/16/12
I've had a great year on whitetail so far, but I'm getting ready to throw in the towel on finding the other side to this guy-

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turkeykiller12 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/16/12
Im in Georgia. I checked trail cams early this week and on March 10 I still had a 3 pt holding onto his antlers. I walked over the whole property and didn't find one shed.
Posted By: privatepilot Re: Shed Hunting - 03/17/12
Nice horn! What are you scoring that at if the other side matches?
Posted By: rl11 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/17/12
Originally Posted by privatepilot
Nice horn! What are you scoring that at if the other side matches?

He's 161-162. I watched him quite a bit in December and his other side is an inch of two bigger... I think.
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/17/12
That is a heck of a horn. Nice find.
Posted By: duckster Re: Shed Hunting - 03/21/12
A guy locally found a set of sheds from a large, atypical buck we had on cameras last fall. Just sold the pair of sheds for $5500. Not a bad gig if you can find it!
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/21/12
That is a heck of a price for a set of sheds. I do not think it is legal in oklahoma to sell them.
Posted By: moore Re: Shed Hunting - 03/22/12
Ain't found nothing
Posted By: duckster Re: Shed Hunting - 03/22/12
Here is the deer in question on the hoof

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ranchhand02 Re: Shed Hunting - 03/22/12
I would like to see those sheds
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Shed Hunting - 03/25/12
To hell with the sheds, I want to see the deer!
Posted By: jcc Re: Shed Hunting - 03/27/12
Love to shed hunt. Usually dropping about now in a good year.
This year will be tough to find with all the rain and new growth.
I ain't complaining about too much rain in Texas!
Scored a goliad Co. pair picked up last year at 152. Big for the area!

jcc
© 24hourcampfire