Home
Posted By: Moses Deer hunting in NC with a .223 - 08/19/12
Is it legal? I can't find it on NC website.
I didn't see anything about it in the regulations digest. I thought I recalled something about a requirement for a rifle to be a centerfire, but I don't see that in this year's digest.

The verbage:

Rifles
 Fully automatic rifles are unlawful. All other rifles are legal except:
- Rifles are prohibited by federal law in hunting migratory game birds.
- Local laws prohibit or restrict rifles in some counties. See the
local laws section on page 72
- It is unlawful to hunt or take wild turkeys with rifles
Posted By: pal Re: Deer hunting in NC with a .223 - 08/19/12
Found this research had been done in 2011:

"I've seen this argument used many times, so I decided to find out if it was true. I looked up the hunting regulations for each of the 50 states, one by one. The info is available online. Here's what I found.

It is legal to hunt deer with a .223 Rem in these states:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, N. Carolina, N. Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, S. Carolina, S. Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, W. Virginia, Wisconsin.

It is not legal to hunt deer with a .223 Rem in these states:

Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming.

That's 36 legal, 14 illegal. Moreover, of the 14 states where it is illegal, exactly half of them (7) don't allow the use of any modern rifles. Those states are:

Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, Rhode Island.

So, there are only 7 states that allow the use of modern "deer rifles", but don't allow the .223 Remington for deer, while 36 states allow the .223. This is exactly the opposite of what most people believe."

Can't vouch for its accuracy.
It is legal - look on page 46 in your 2012-2013 Regulations Digest; it is covered in the section on Weapons and Dogs.
Can you kill a deer with a .223...? wink
i killed 3 does last year in pender county with my savage .223 all 3 shots about 100-150 none of the deer made it more than 10 feet
Geez...what you can learn on the forums! smile
That's them southern deer, very small and light hide, don't try it on a big Yankee deer.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's them southern deer, very small and light hide, don't try it on a big Yankee deer.
Very true! I was amazed the first time I cut into a real Michigan deer,lots of difference,but Yes,a 223 will work.In the 70's we hunted a lot with the .22-250 as well.
Them big ol' Yankee deer ain't so tuff. I hear them northern boys even use a thirty - thirty now and again.
Posted By: RWE Re: Deer hunting in NC with a .223 - 08/20/12
Originally Posted by ingwe
Can you kill a deer with a .223...? wink

Only if you are a tasteless heathen.

For really classy folks, a triple deuce is used from the back porch...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pal Re: Deer hunting in NC with a .223 - 08/20/12
That'll teach 'em to come so close to your porch! grin
Posted By: RWE Re: Deer hunting in NC with a .223 - 08/20/12
Originally Posted by pal
That'll teach 'em to come so close to your porch! grin

(Un)fortunately, its a single lesson proposition.

These two Carolina cervids won't do it again, but I bet their kin will run the gauntlet sometime here in the next few months....
i love my .223 for a deer rifle but im bringing out .45-70 thats what i use to keep them out of my back yard absolutly no running
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Them big ol' Yankee deer ain't so tuff. I hear them northern boys even use a thirty - thirty now and again.

But I hear tell that at exactly 101 yards, the bullet will just bounce off....
© 24hourcampfire