Home
MY son at 18 finally got his first buck this being his 4th year of hunting. This is his 5th deer and all have been taken with his Contender Carbine .25-35. I load either 80gr TTSX's or 100gr Partitions and at wood's ranges the outcome is never in doubt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Well that sure is a purty first buck! Congrats to your son!

Going on the wall?
Congrats!

Pretty good way to start off on a buck, that's for sure.
Congrats on a fine lookin buck for that young man!!

Love to here of your handload details with both bullet weights, i shoot the 25/35 in a 22" Contender Carbine also. great combo.

Where's the pics of the gun? Congrats to him.
Very nice and cool cartridge.
Congrats to you and your boy! Glad to see he stuck with it and his efforts paid off.
Nice one. Congratulations.
That's some frothy lung blood right there...

Congrats to the young man.
Good stuff. Congrats to your son.

Never shot a deer with that cartridge. I have a Win 94 safe queen in that cartridge tucked a way in a safe. Need to load it up and go hunt'n some day.
SWEETTTTT, congrats to the young Man, good shooting Son.

Gunner
Congratulations!
Congrats !!
Now that is cool....congrats to all.
I plan to mount the rack on a wood plaque with the empty cartridge case and a brass plate w/his name and date. Will save the shoulder mount for something bigger.
Published .25-35 data is extremely limited, so I used .25 Remington data (Ken Water's Pet Loads) as a baseline. I figured I could safely push 80 gr bullets to 2,800 fps and 100's to 2,600 fps from the rifle's 24" barrel. My data is as follows...

* 80 gr TTSX 29 gr H4895 2,812 fps
* 100 gr Partition 27.5 gr H4895 2,632 fps

The rifle wears a Zeiss 4X Conquest and his longest shot has been about 80 yds. All others were inside of 30 yds. He's always put the bullet in the vitals and we've never had a problem. At 18, I've offered to get him a bigger rifle, but he doesn't want one. His mom's .270 is there for him if he wants it, she doesn't hunt anymore.

Congratulations young man!
Congratulations to both of you!
Pics of the rifle???
Awesome! Congrats to your boy on his first buck, he's a dandy.
I used .25 Remington data (Ken Water's Pet Loads) as a baseline. I figured I could safely push 80 gr bullets to 2,800 fps and 100's to 2,600 fps from the rifle's 24" barrel.

Thank you for the load data.

using the Hornady 100, i went up to 28.0 of H4895, then backed down to 27.0, never clocked those , had always wondered about speeds.

my gun also did pretty well with AA2460 & Nosler 85 BT's...you have probably have seen this link, Gunblast reviews of the 25/35, some decent speeds with that powder in his rifle.

http://www.gunblast.com/Winchester_25-35.htm

my carbine is a 1-10 twist, TC custom shop barrel, just swapped out the 4xleupold for a 1-75-6x short tube. gonna make it a point to kill more stuff with this one.

alway's love to here storie's about one of my favorite cartridge's here's a couple of my 25/35's this one was made in 1910
[Linked Image]
this one ine 1922
[Linked Image]
here's a pic of brother Bill's 25/35 it was made in 1906
[Linked Image]
Congrats to your son on a fine whitetail. I had one of those Contender Carbines in .223 back in the 90's. I killed a ton of groundhogs with it and then got a 7-30 Waters barrel thinking it was the answer for deer hunting. I sold the thing before I ever got the chance to blood it. Another one on my foul ups in life.
Great buck. Congrats to you both.
Add my congratulations, nice deer there.
Right on! I love these kinds of posts.....great job!
CONGRATS!!! A good deer for sure. I'll stop in and we can share some stories in a couple of weeks. I really like the European mount with the empty cartridge case, take some pictures of that one.

Nick
Good shootin' there!

My Aunt Lillian hunted with an older slide action rifle in 25 Remington for several decades. She killed stacks of Pennsylvania whitetails using plain factory ammo.

Sherwood
That's a nice buck and a great way to start a hunting career. Been a while since I have seen a 25-35 in action, friend of mine has one in a Savage 99. Very nice handling rifle.
Congrats to the son on his first buck!
That's cool as heck. High-five to the lad!
Cool rifle! That brings back memories from LONG, LONG, ago. Good on the young man.
congrats to him great buck
Very nice, well done!

Boy Howdy, been a while but watched my cousin flatten his first deer with a .25-35 in a 94 lever gun with a single factory load. He was the third generation of his family to do so with that very rifle.... GOOD TIMES
Im glad he got one , congrats !
Super cool! Congrats to your son.
MAJOR cool points for the caliber and gun!
Nice buck and big congrats to both. Never seen a 25-35 but the old calibers always adds to the story
© 24hourcampfire