Home
NMSSHOOTER and I went beanfield hunting today in hopes of trying out his long range rig. It's a 7mag Sendero with a Swaro Z5 5-25x52 with the ballistic turrets. I took my 25-06 that I'm comfortable shooting out to 350-400.

First deer came out about 4:45 at the far end of the field. We hit it with the LRF at 633yds. Luke laid out prone, dialed it in, and let the 150gr NBT fly. I was watching in the binos and the deer hit the ground, but then stood back up wobbling for a few seconds before it collapsed, I thought, into the brush on the side of the field.

Since we had daylight left and wanted to wait a bit before we went after his deer, we kept watching the field. Ten minutes later another doe walked out about 40-50yds down the treeline. I've spent a good deal of time behind his rifle over the last few months so I decided to give it a try. It started at 707yds walking and stopped at 633yds, same as Luke's. I let it fly and she dropped DRT, not even a twitch.

We went to retrieve both deer and found that Luke's deer hadn't collapsed in the brushline, but had stepped down into a ditch and then made it into the woods. We blood trailed it for a while and then jumped it in the woods. It had lost a good deal of blood but we decided to leave and come back in the morning. It's going to be cold tonight, so the meat shouldn't be harmed.

Definitely think I'm going to be spending more time learning to twist turrets!

[Linked Image]
Well, at least one deer hit well/recovered. Congrats.

Best wishes on finding #2.
Maybe you would be better off spending the time building a brush blind a little bit closer to that end of the field. frown
cool
cool
Cool, hope yall recover the other nanny.
Originally Posted by BrentD
Maybe you would be better off spending the time building a brush blind a little bit closer to that end of the field. frown

Not like theres never been a short shot messed up either right... just lost a doe a buddies dad shot, at less than 80 yards.... hit her too high and didnt' kill her but still I didn't like that out come either.

point is you do your best and even the chip shots can bite you at times.

Of course fact of the matter, if you could tally up lost deer from shots at 100 yards and under, and those lost to say over 600, the ones under 100 would be a lot higher in number.

Doesn't mean its right, but it pisses me off when we get the holyier than though attitude right away.

Hope your holidays went well. Nice buck you got there with the MZ I saw the other day too!

Jeff
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=BrentD]

Of course fact of the matter, if you could tally up lost deer from shots at 100 yards and under, and those lost to say over 600, the ones under 100 would be a lot higher in number.

Jeff

Jeff, that may be true in total numbers but not even close in percentage of shots attempted. Jeff, you outta go into politics the way you use stats.

Given a choice between a 100-yard shot and a 600-yard shot is a no-brainer. Fact is, a shot that's 2 inches off target at 100 is 12 inches off at 600.
Why thank you but its the truth RE numbers.

And IMHO the longer range shooters and generally much better shooters than the shorter range ones as a whole. YOu generally don't hear about all the success, but for some reason we hear about what happened, I didn't find this or that one....

You make a good point about angular at 600, but if you can't hit a clay target every shot that you choose to take at 600 then you really have no business shooting at 600.

I'll take a 600 anytime I deem it correct to do so, and in that, there won't be a foul up. But I"m picky about my shot choices.

What does amaze me so much is so many bang flops all around and when you go look, almost all of them, IMHO are shooting too high for some reason.

I can also tell you that I"ve never lost a shot beyond 300ish yards. But unfortunately I have a couple there were closer than that, that did result in a loss. One at an amazing close distance. I simply didn't see the thick vine that deflected the bullet to the low leg....

I don't like loss of anykind. But the first friggin thing when someone takes a longer shot and looses, here comes everyone pontificating about should or shouldn't do this or that.

Where again do you draw the line. I think Brent shouldn't hunt with a flinter because what happens when you get the flash in the pan and it goes off a second or so later.... AFTER or AS the deer moves in reaction to that... see what I mean?

The correct comment here, hope the doe is located and not lost, and hope that never happens again but good job on the other one.

Just my take of course, doesn't mean I"m right and you gotta vote for me, though I'd appreciate the vote. Grins.
Originally Posted by rost495
point is you do your best and even the chip shots can bite you at times.

Yes, of course. Does that somehow justify a 633 yds shot? I don't follow your logic at all.

Which of course is an irrelevant comparison since so many more shots are taken at 100 and in. But you knew that - so why make a fallaciously misleading statement like that?

Doesn't mean its right, but it pisses me off when we get the holyier than though attitude right away.

Me too. But then I didn't start this post with, "I took my 25-06 that I'm comfortable shooting out to 350-400." and then tell everyone how we were all shooting at 633 yds. 400 vs 633 is pretty substantial, no?

Hope your holidays went well. Nice buck you got there with the MZ I saw the other day too!

Jeff

They did and thanks. I am comfortable out to 100 yds with that rifle but prefer to be less. The shot was 70 yds. I had chances at 130 but I wouldn't consider that ethical and I would expect to get my ass chewed for taking a shot like that with that flintlock. And therein lies my point.

I don't really see the logic in wanting to kill stuff at longer ranges than necessary, just to see if I can. That seems to be a big motivation on this forum, and for that reason I don't usually come here, but today I did. I don't rag on the dozens of scenarios where someone wants to shoot something at a gazillion yds even though getting closer was easily possible. But when someone says, I'm comfortable to distance X and then goes potshooting, at over 150% of X, I don't care if he is successful or not, it's poor judgement in my opinion and I am willing to say so.

Thanks for the intelligent response. Perhaps the best short response is that all of us should know our abilities and limitations, whatever they may be. Some are capable of 600-yard shots and others shouldn't be shooting much beyond 100.
A week ago, Luke killed another doe at 99yds sitting in the same spot. This particular field is fairly narrow but 1000-1200yds long. Deer come out all along the perimeter. Hunting in ANY given spot may offer a short or extremely long opportunity. Hence the reason for spending the money on the LR rig and hours of practice time in the off season learning to shoot long distance.
I guess I should clarify that the 25-06 was not used yesterday. Both shots were taken with the Sendero. It is the only rifle both of us have practiced enough with at distance to feel comfortable with. If I practice enough with the turrets on the 25-06 during the off season it may get used at that distance next year.

For those interested in number comparisons, that doe was deer number 9 that I have killed in my life. Only one has gone more than 20yds after the shot and that one made it about 100 yds across a field before it collapsed. I've never taken more than one shot per deer. Three of the last four deer I've killed have been at 300+yds.
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I guess I should clarify that the 25-06 was not used yesterday. Both shots were taken with the Sendero. It is the only rifle both of us have practiced enough with at distance to feel comfortable with. If I practice enough with the turrets on the 25-06 during the off season it may get used at that distance next year.

For those interested in number comparisons, that doe was deer number 9 that I have killed in my life. Only one has gone more than 20yds after the shot and that one made it about 100 yds across a field before it collapsed. I've never taken more than one shot per deer. Three of the last four deer I've killed have been at 300+yds.

Very hard to make this post jive with your first post.
Nice shot, congrats on the straps.

He didn't shoot the deer that was unrecovered...
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

He didn't shoot the deer that was unrecovered...

I took my 25-06 because we were set up about 300yds from one end of the field at a point where the field was about 100yds across. If a deer had come out on that end of the field I would have used my rifle. The deer happened to come out at the far end of the field(the opposite end) so we both shot using his LR rig. Where we set up we could cover 75% of the field at 400yds or less but it also offered long range opportunities at the far end. It just happened that the deer decided to come out at that end of the field on that particular day.
Well we didn't find the deer today. There was good blood but I guess we looked to earlier and jumped it. As for some of you perfect hunters that have never lost a deer congratulations. I felt perfectly comfortable taking the shoot as I have practiced many many hours and know my gun. I dialed it in and when I shoot it flipped over. Then got up. Roger took the same shot and his didn't get up. If you feel confident in your gun to 100yrds then shoot a 100 yards. It was a fun experience with the exception of finding my deer, I would have never expected not to find it after watching it flip but things do happen. I kill several deer a year from several different place and recover most all them. I've not lost many over the years but I have lost a few and I think anyone that says they haven't are either lying or have not killed many.

Not if you read 'em both.

[quote=BrentD Does that somehow justify a 633 yds shot? [/quote]

Justify?? Why does he need to justify anything to you?

Good shootin' Tatelaw. I once was taking a ration of sh** from a guy around a campfire for missing a shot at a buck. Then, the oldest and by far most accomplished hunter there spat in the fire and said "if you ain't never missed a shot, you either haven't hunted much or ain't tryin' hard enough."

Now he says
It was a fun experience with the exception of finding my deer, I would have never expected not to find it after watching it flip but things do happen.

Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=BrentD] Very hard to make this post jive with your first post.

Originally Posted by BrentD Does that somehow justify a 633 yds shot? [/quote

Nobody says he does. But he seems determined to do so. That's his choice, his first post doesn't jive with the second and the third is worse.

Now he says
It was a fun experience with the exception of finding my deer, I would have never expected not to find it after watching it flip but things do happen.

He started with saying his buddy Luke's deer is the one that disappeared and was not recovered. How many stories are there?

But in the end, smoke, is there ANY shot at ANY distance that a 400-yd shooter should pass up? Is it all good with you? How about 1000? How about 2000?

Anyway, at least get the story straight twice in a row. You wouldn't fool a high school truant officer with stories like this.
Brent, I don't know what you so confused about. Roger simply stated that I shot a deer with my sendero then he shot another one with my sendero.
His other statement was that he was comfortable with his 25-06 from 350-400 yards because he has not practice enough past that with it.
We both spent a lot of time behind the trigger of my sendero working on loads all summer.
I was the one they stated it was a fun experience so I guess you should read the post correctly and who posted so you can see clearly once the smoke is cleared.

If you have not connected the dots yet, I am Luke.
Congrats on the deer and sorry to hear of the lost one.

I've taken shots at more "reasonable" distances that I was extremely confident of and lost the deer. Comes with hunting and shooting to some extent, though we must be careful not to allow that fact to be an excuse for making a habit of it.

As with everything, there is a fine line that can be crossed and extremes in both sides.

Every year it disgusts me... Go to the range and see guys packing up as if ready to confidently kill deer at 100 yds but judging from range performance have no business shooting them at 25.

Bottom line... A man's got to know his limitations... And never stop respecting his prey.

Thanks for the report guys,

efw
How many stories are there?

Two deer, one story.

But in the end, smoke, is there ANY shot at ANY distance that a 400-yd shooter should pass up?

Who said he was a 400-yard shooter with the Sendero? If you read the post, you would've seen that he was comfortable out to the distance he killed the deer, with the Sendero.

One shooter, two rifles.

Is it all good with you? How about 1000? How about 2000?

How about 1000? Who said anything about killing a deer at 1000? TATELAW said he had practiced a good bit and was comfortable with the rifle out to the distance he made a one-shot kill with, what the hell does 1000 or 2000 have to do with it?

Take your strawman somehwere else.

Anyway, at least get the story straight twice in a row. You wouldn't fool a high school truant officer with stories like this.

He's got the story straight, you didn't read it straight.

You couldn't graduate from high school with reading skills like this.

Just kidding Brent, I'm sure your reading skills are fine. If you hadn't been so hell-bent on throwing the guy under the bus because he doesn't fit your own personal ethic, you probably wouldn't have jumped to so many erroneous conclusions. Try reading without the blinders next time.
I don't think Brent caught two different people posted.

Roger (Tatelaw) shot a deer at a range that he was comfortable with the 7 mag... He would have used his rifle but was not comfortable at that long of a range with that rifle.

Luke (NMSSHOOTER) shot a doe but she was not found (yet) at the same range with the same rifle Roger shot his deer at.

Reading skills are very handy.
Thanks guys for clearing things up. I would not willful shoot a deer and loose it. I still say I made a good shot just didn't find it. I shot once and it fell. Just some bow got up. Thanks for people being honest and not throwing me under the bus just because we stretched the distance, with which we practice And was comfortable. Will be going back this evening hopeful to so maybe things will work out.
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
Thanks for people being honest and not throwing me under the bus just because we stretched the distance, with which we practice And was comfortable. Will be going back this evening hopeful to so maybe things will work out.

No need for thanks NMS, "not throwing someone under the bus" is not all that difficult. When I read Brent's last post above, for a minute there I thought I may have missed something in TATELAW's post where he contradicted himself.

But then I thought so what? I don't know TATELAW, and I have no reason to think the guy would make things up or change his story in a dishonest way, so even if his posts didn't add up, I would just assume he made an honest mistake and then corrected it.

I guess some people tend to assume the opposite.

Yeah and I tend to believe that assumption says more about the assumeR than those 'falling victim' to the assumption.
W I N D - is a 4 letter word and a variable that is not easily mastered even by the most highly skilled shooters.
A calm windless morning can impress you about today's modern gadgetry and convert you into a true believer while you lick your chops about that next 1000 yd rifle set up.
An errand breeze down range can have you tracking a 3 legged buck over numerous mountain ranges and into the next county while swearing you'll never do that again.
I missed a doe at 310 last year, killed several further since. $hit happens, it's part of the game.

Hate to hear you lost her Luke, but all we can do is try harder the next time.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
W I N D - is a 4 letter word and a variable that is not easily mastered even by the most highly skilled shooters.
A calm windless morning can impress you about today's modern gadgetry and convert you into a true believer while you lick your chops about that next 1000 yd rifle set up.
An errand breeze down range can have you tracking a 3 legged buck over numerous mountain ranges and into the next county while swearing you'll never do that again.
Amen brother! Come ups is easy wind is voodoo
As for the wind, it couldn't have been a more calm evening. No wind to deal with what so ever.
Good shooting, tough luck on the one.

I'm glad my story was clear to everyone else. The 25-06 I had with me is a rifle that I have killed with at 300 and holdover would be manageable out to 400. I have no idea about other's skills but I feel very comfortable with shots out to that distance without any special equipment. It comes with lots of practice. However, I'm not going past 400 without a tested LR setup. This setup can be a ballistic reticle scope that I have range tested or, preferably, target turrets. The 25-06 has a relatively new scope on it with target turrets but I didn't have time to get comfortable with them before the season like I did with Luke's Sendero. I plan to shoot it a lot using the turrets during the next off season so maybe I can use my own LR rig next season.
It's hard to comment on the wind if you weren't there, except to say it's less of a factor at 600 than 1000.

I am gonna start with this quote although any of your's would do. This forum is to talk about hunting and give props to fellow hunters.It is painfully obvious that you are pissed off at the world and you sit behind your computer lashing out at others. Giving your opinion when it wasn't asked for, as for Luke and Roger they are southern gentleman both refined and eloquent as they defend a position that simply needs no defense! I am gonna say what they wont, apparently they didn't engage in the manner you were hoping........So i hope my saying you are a phuctard. Will make you feel better! Have a nice day! Now GFY!https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/default/grin.gif
Tatelaw, NMSshooter, I have never taken a trophy whitetail shooting long range, but find it is one hell of a tool for culling does. I just locked up a spot on Hwy 16 very near the big black. I used to hunt the property 15 years ago. I hear the current lease holders have let the does run wild. If yall want to come shoot some does....or a buck if the opportunity arises, yall holler. Do I know yall from the old MDWFP or Bull forums?
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Tatelaw, NMSshooter, I have never taken a trophy whitetail shooting long range, but find it is one hell of a tool for culling does. I just locked up a spot on Hwy 16 very near the big black. I used to hunt the property 15 years ago. I hear the current lease holders have let the does run wild. If yall want to come shoot some does....or a buck if the opportunity arises, yall holler. Do I know yall from the old MDWFP or Bull forums?

Good for you EddyBo. We gotta cull a few here but no LR opportunities just 100-200 yds. Shoot some of those monsters you make.
BG

This and Shotgunworld.com are the only hunting forums I've ever been a member of. I've just gotten back into hunting over the last 5yrs or so. I'd love to come down for a cull hunt. Doesn't your season run longer down there? Ours runs through the end of January up here.
Eddybo thanks for the invite. This is the only forum I have ever been on. I would love to come down and help you manage some of your herd. How far south are you? My work schedule is gonna be kinda busy but if possible maybe Roger and I can make a trip south. thanks again
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I don't think Brent caught two different people posted.

Roger (Tatelaw) shot a deer at a range that he was comfortable with the 7 mag... He would have used his rifle but was not comfortable at that long of a range with that rifle.

Luke (NMSSHOOTER) shot a doe but she was not found (yet) at the same range with the same rifle Roger shot his deer at.

Reading skills are very handy.

Always the peacemaker.
Eddybo thanks for the invite. This is the only forum I have ever been on. I would love to come down and help you manage some of your herd. How far south are you? My work schedule is gonna be kinda busy but if possible maybe Roger and I can make a trip south. thanks again

I am in Mccomb but the spot I invited yall to is just west of Canton about 15 miles on hwy 16. Like I said Just locked it up, no stands up but who needs stands for long crop fields. I will try to get yall a PM out the rain is murder on satellite internet
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

Good for you EddyBo. We gotta cull a few here but no LR opportunities just 100-200 yds. Shoot some of those monsters you make.
BG

You going to make it to the MOF forum get together at my place after season? We are going to break out my big cooker and we are going to have a sausage cook off. Everyone is bringing a pack of sausage from their favorite processor. we are going to have judges to determine the best. Also a couple of magnolia record scorers are supposed to be coming to score deer for folks.
Hmm, how long is the season?
Our season here in North MS starts in early November and runs through the end of January if you include the primitive firearm seasons. I was thinking the season started about 2 weeks later down south and ended in mid Feb. I haven't gone to the state website to check for sure.
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

BG

You going to make it to the MOF forum get together at my place after season? We are going to break out my big cooker and we are going to have a sausage cook off. Everyone is bringing a pack of sausage from their favorite processor. we are going to have judges to determine the best. Also a couple of magnolia record scorers are supposed to be coming to score deer for folks.

When and where I want to try and make it down for this
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=BrentD] Very hard to make this post jive with your first post.

Originally Posted by BrentD Does that somehow justify a 633 yds shot? [/quote

Good shootin' Tatelaw. I once was taking a ration of sh** from a guy around a campfire for missing a shot at a buck. Then, the oldest and by far most accomplished hunter there spat in the fire and said "if you ain't never missed a shot, you either haven't hunted much or ain't tryin' hard enough."

Smoke, you can't reason with a dhimmicrap. He's a "victim" of the publik skool "look and guess" reading method. He guessed. If some rich people had had more money lifted from them and thrown at his skool he likely could read better.
I am proud I am not the only one thought the story read complete and no contradictions. I thought that since I was there and knew the story I was reading between the lines. I guess us southern rednecks can read correctly after all.
Thanks for the comments
We got 2 more on the 17th. Mine was 480 yards and Rogers was 220. He shot first then mine stopped at 480 just a little to long for her own good. Both of these was DRT. Roger shot his with his new 257 weatherby and I shot mine with my 7rm sendero.
Nothing like long range doe poking'...Good job boys!
The new 257Wby Luke mentioned is Safariman's custom 257 built on a Pre 64 Model 70 action. I truly appreciate Realralfy agreeing to sell it and I intend to continue to put it to good use. It is my first custom and I think I started out well!
Yeah, maybe by this time next year you can keep up wth sendero
The new 257Wby Luke mentioned is Safariman's custom 257 built on a Pre 64 Model 70 action.

Sounds like a sweeeeet rifle.
Got another sendero in 300 RUM In a ss series II. Ill have it ready to go for next year
Is that an invitation? That sounds like an invitation grin
I plan to have 2 so I will have an extra. The RUM is supposed to be a shooter too. Maybe we can swap a hunt
Sounds like a couple of guys enjoying deer hunting. Keep it up, life is too short!
Maybe we can swap a hunt

If I had one to swap, I'd be right there with you. I could always welcome you to the public lands in the great state of Colorado.....
A good guide is always worth its weight in gold. Maybe one day we can get together.
© 24hourcampfire