Home
The video below shows one method of gralloching a deer, along with a few tips to make the process easier.

The video was shot in the UK, so some aspects are more applicable to the situation here where a lot of carcasses go in the commercial food chain, and stalkers therefore have to meet certain "best practices" re food hygiene.

Cool!!
Interesting video. I like the idea of doing the work off the ground. One question, the video does not show the bladder coming out. Did I miss something?
No, but not sure why if they are going to the trouble of splitting breast bone in the field..

I suspect the video and their others are more of demonstrations of different techniques that can be used depending on the situation...
Good video. He's good with a knife.
Thanks Pete it is always interesting to see different ways of doing things. GRF
That video makes me appreciate my processor. Sure is easy to just drop off the carcas, tell him what I want, and go hunting again.
Originally Posted by Horseman
That video makes me appreciate my processor. Sure is easy to just drop off the carcas, tell him what I want, and go hunting again.

You rely on the Processor to gut your animals as well?
i made one of the x shaped stands like he used to lay the deer on. i sometimes skin 5 or 6 in an evening and it sure did wonders to speed up the process and ease the pain in the back.
I have one too for use at home and as you say it really does save the back when prep'ing a carcass..
The folks at our lease call it a manger..... but I have worked with similar for years while guiding and just built one for the lease this year. I had totally forgotten how much easier that is on the back....
Over here they are known as deer cradles and they are common in the UK in many larder set up's..A lot have a set of locking coasters (small wheels?) so the cradle can be used a trolley to move the carcass from a vehicle into the larder ect..

We have a fairly substantial one in the Club larder :
[Linked Image]

Another version which is a bit more transportable is the folding type shown below:

[Linked Image]

The carcass is supported by waterproof fabric or nylon netting, sort of along the line of a stretcher..

Regards,

Peter
© 24hourcampfire