Home
Posted By: SKane The last hunt... - 01/22/13
My bud Chuck has been battling cancer for the last 1.5 years. He didn't get to make the WI deer season this year because he was bed ridden. He wanted desperately to have one final hunt, and, perhaps a chance to put a good one on the ground.

The only option open to us just prior to Christmas, and, before his short window closed, was a game preserve. I was seriously conflicted about that sort of thing but was hell bent on making a final wish come true.

I searched to find one that could accommodate a last second schedule and special needs of getting around. The place - the 1000-acre Forest of Antlers in Minoqua. It's a three hour drive from home and hospice wouldn't hear of him staying overnight so we planned on several days of driving back forth if need be. (actually, hospice didn't want him to go, period grin)

The owner, Ron Lee and his staff didn't have high hopes as the weather was spitting freezing rain.

With a fair amount of work we got Chuck into the elevated blind overlooking a food plot and bundled up for the afternoon sit.

Well, the big guy was looking down as he made for a pretty quick sit as a couple of bucks entered the food plot. I had a "budget" deer in mind, but true to my prediction, Chuck would want a bigger one. After a lot of positioning and repositioning, I got my .243 in the right spot for him to anchor the one he wanted. I didn't even have time to get my ears covered as Chuck put one through the buck's boiler at about 90 yards. grin

Lots of tears and laughter ensued. I was both happy and honored to have been able to share that last hunt with him. A huge thank you to Ron Lee and his staff - finer folks you'll never meet.

We laid Chuck to rest yesterday. RIP buddy.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: JPro Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Powerful story there and a priceless photo. Wonderful that you guys were able to make it happen and I'd wager that both of you took a lot away from that last hunt. I'm sorry that you had to let him go....
Posted By: roundoak Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Man that really pulls at your heart strings. I reckon he would have done the same for you.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Wayne
Posted By: willowcreek1996 Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by JPro
Powerful story there and a priceless photo. Wonderful that you guys were able to make it happen and I'd wager that both of you took a lot away from that last hunt. I'm sorry that you had to let him go....

This.
Posted By: CLB Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Scott, you are one of the most stand up guys I am still yet to meet. My hat goes off to you for what you did for your friend Chuck and may he now RIP.
Posted By: RTSJ Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Wow.. Your a good man and a hell of a friend Skane. Kudos to you. God bless your friend and may he rest in piece.

Roy
Posted By: oulufinn Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Scott,

That is a great tribute to Chuck. You surely were a great, caring friend to him, no doubt. Godspeed, Chuck.

Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Beautiful post, story, hunt, and experience, Scott.

Sorry about losing your friend. Hopefully he is RIP, with that smile still on his face from the successful final hunt.
Posted By: tzone Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by SKane
A huge thank you to Ron Lee and his staff - finer folks you'll never meet.

[Linked Image]

Don't know about all that. Chucks buddy seems like awfully fine folks to me. Sorry to hear about Chuck but tickled to see his wish come true. He'll thank you in due time.

Tom
Posted By: gnnrsig40 Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
That brought tears to my eyes, good for you for doing that for your bud. I guess there is a good use for high fence hunting afterall!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Wow....don't know what else to say. Looks like it was great for the both of you. Glad he had a friend such as yourself to do this for him. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: BrentD Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Nice job - both of you. RIP Chuck.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
He had a great friend in you. Sorry for your loss but glad you got to do the last one with your friend.
Posted By: rost495 Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Damn, must be allergies again here....

Well done! You net a halo for that fine job. A notch above the call for sure.

Our sympathies and condolences for family and friends and RIP as noted.

KNow that you did the very best you ever could for a good friend.
May that console you the best it can.

Jeff
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Skane, thats a fine thing you did for your friend. May your friend rest in peace, and may you have much luck & good Karma.
Posted By: Lonny Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
What a story... You will be rewarded in kind someday.

I'm glad to see and hear you two got one final hunt in.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of a great friend.
Posted By: SKane Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by roundoak
I reckon he would have done the same for you.

Wayne, yes, most likely. But if the tables were turned, I'd likely have sat for as long as it took to see one of the biggest animals the property had to offer � he'd have the rest of his life to pay off the bill. ***grins***

Thanks for the comments gents - many here would do the same for a pard. A lot of thanks goes to his wife for her understanding and for trusting me to return her hubby. And we had a modicum of joy in telling hospice "I told you so" - they insisted he wasn't up to it... smile
Posted By: JGRaider Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Wow.. Your a good man and a hell of a friend Skane. Kudos to you. God bless your friend and may he rest in piece.

Roy

I couldn't say it any better. You did a good thing Skane, a very good thing there. I'm sure this is a memory you will not ever forget. I absolutely love the picture. God bless you both.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Wow, just reading that was emotional. RIP to your friend. You're a great guy, Skane!
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Thanks for sharing. It is refreshing to read such positive experiences.

The best any of us can ever hope for us that we can share some of our time with good friends and family.

Bless you both.
Posted By: oldguns Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
MR SKane...your a GOOD MAN!1....and a true friend..may God bless you both
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Your old man is damn proud of you, son! cool

Posted By: SamOlson Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
You are a true friend Skane.

RIP Chuck.
Posted By: 163bc Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Good on you both.
Posted By: Shag Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Your a good man Skane! Could of easily cried.. Rip Chuck.
Posted By: saddlering Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Good buddies are hard to find, and Chuck sure had one of the best! high fence or not, you both got the final hunt in, and the pic says it all! Ill bet Chuck will be with you, on the rest of your hunts, RIP Chuck!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Thanks SKane. We read so much crap about shootings, Democrats, economy, etc...and how everything should be fixed. Some things just can't be fixed, but it's awesome to hear about doing all you can do regardless of the situation. Thanks again!
Posted By: Jtown Re: The last hunt... - 01/22/13
Sorry about Your Friend. May he RIP, That is a great thing you did
Posted By: handwerk Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Well friend, I figured it was going to be soon. What a wonderful gesture pulling off that hunt together, we need more folks out there like you...well done.
Posted By: wildone Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
I don't think that anyone that does not hunt could fully understand the heaviness of this.

Scott , that was an awesome gift to give a friend and I believe that he may have left you with one as well and that is the memory made in that deer blind that day.

Kudo's bro!
Posted By: Tanner Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Just an incredible thing to do there Scott... and a great buck for Chuck on his last hunt. That's what it's all about.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Excellent. You are to be commended for spending this kind of quality time with your friend.
Posted By: wageslave Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
What a special time.
Very cool.
RIP bro.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Well Done! May Chuck Rest In Honored Peace.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Scott,
Thanks for sharing. He was very sick and he needed to go where we all will some day. May he rest in Peace.

Posted By: jwall Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
It's very hard to add to what's been said.

"there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother" Proverbs 18:24.

I know this from both sides of the principal.

Fantastic; Kudos; Skane!!!!

I sympathize with your loss AND you'll have GREAT memories the rest of your life.

Jerry
Posted By: ingwe Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Good on you Scott....
Posted By: tzone Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Your old man is damn proud of you, son! cool

You should be. He's a good man, like his dad, but you already knew that. smile
Posted By: Chainsaw Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Skane, my hat is off to you. Sorry about the loss of your friend.
Posted By: davidlea Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
I don't have the words...he was blessed to have a friend like you. We should all be so lucky, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Gristle Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
These are the kind of hunts I like to read about. Good on ya SKane.....
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
That's awesome right there.....I see far more joy in his eyes than pain. Very special.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Scott;
Thanks so much for sharing this special hunt with us.

Please accept my condolences on the passing of your friend, my thoughts and prayers are with Chuck's family and friends left behind.

Like so many others have already articulated, this story has struck a chord with me as well Scott - on very many levels.

It brings back memories of my own last hunts with my late father and then too hunting and shooting mentors, though in my case I didn't know it would be my last time on the mountain with them.

Anyway I'd like to send you my most sincere thanks and a tip of the hat for doing that for Chuck. Extremely well done sir.

Thanks so much again and all the best to you and yours in the upcoming year Scott.

Dwayne
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
You did good Scott, it all happens for a reason.

Condolences to Chuck's family........

RIP Chuck.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
You're a good man SKane! I'm sorry for your loss.
Posted By: DJTex Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Scott,

Congratulations on the blessings you enjoyed by being Chuck's friend, and my condolences on your loss in his passing.

What a precious memory you now have, and what joy you helped bring Chuck in his last days.

Well done.

DJ
Posted By: battue Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
True friends are hard to find, but you have proven they exist. Good work Mr. Scott.
Posted By: Monashee Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
You're a good man and a good friend Skane.There aren't that many around and I'm sure Chuck appreciated your friendship over the years.I've done my last hunt now,but though I didn't take a buck I have the memories of that day with two generations of friends and their young children.Those I will take with me. Monashee
Posted By: 4xbear Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Good on you sir. Should we ever meet the first one is on me. You say he shot the deer with your .243? You can't sell that rifle now. Sorry for your loss but good, really good on you.
Posted By: pointer Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
RIP Chuck. That's about as touching a hunting story as there is. Well done sir.
Posted By: jwall Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Originally Posted by Monashee

I've done my last hunt now,but though I didn't take a buck I have the memories of that day with two generations of friends and their young children.Those I will take with me. Monashee

My sympathies to you too.

We all face "THE LAST HUNT" for our friends & ourselves. I can see that day coming in the too NEAR future. My oldest hunting pard is 70 y o now & I'm 63.

I hate to see those days GETTING too close.

Posted By: SKane Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Originally Posted by Monashee
I've done my last hunt now,but though I didn't take a buck I have the memories of that day with two generations of friends and their young children.Those I will take with me. Monashee

Monashee,

I'm sorry to hear that. Well-meaning people look for "the right words" to say in situations such as this. Unfortunately, there are none.

Godspeed, my friend.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
You sir, are a fine individual. Thank you for posting that, and thank you for making the time to help a friend out. We would all be blessed to have one friend like that.

Now, I have to go because there must be dust in here...can't seem to see clearly.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Awesome Scott, just simply awesome. I bet that took the pain off Chuck's mind for a bit. You'll never forget that hunt.

Sorry for your loss. RIP Chuck.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Well done Scott! May your friend rest in peace.
Posted By: GregW Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Scott,

I had you pegged from the very beginning -

I have had two similar situations and both times, the person didnt' get to do something he loved one last time.

Thanks for this.
Posted By: Hook Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
My hat is off to you, Scott! That was a fine thing that you did.

My prayers go out to your friend's family and all others that will miss him.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: The last hunt... - 01/23/13
Well, I had to wait for my eyes to dry up so I could type and think.
Scott that is such a nice thing you did for your friend. I'm sure it was most rewarding for the both of you. A hunt like that on one's last days is a true blessing.

May your friend rest in peace.

I'm sorry for you loss. Hard times for sure, you are a good man.
God Bless
Posted By: SSB Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
I've spent a day trying to think of the right words and I'm still coming up empty. Hell of a deal Scott....you are one hell of a guy......
Posted By: rta48 Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
Well done Scott, well done!
Posted By: ranger1 Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
Best story I've ever read on the Campfire - hands down. You're the epitome and measure of what a true pal is.
Posted By: MGunns Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
God bless you both! A true friend!
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
Glad it worked out so well....RIP Chuck.
Posted By: cfran Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
Very telling story about your character, well done and great way to go out for Chuck. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
Scott

It's the time that mattered on both ends. Loyalty and love are the best virtue of a man. RIP Chuck.
Posted By: broomd Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
God bless you and yours for that gesture and story.

What a way to share the love with a passing friend.
Posted By: skonoy01 Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
great post,nice story ,very impressed.thanks for sharing this.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
Damn! Just damn! I'm sorry for your loss but it is such a blessing to have friends like you guys were
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
youre a good man Scott. remarkable story and it will stick with me. thank you for sharing
Posted By: AMRA Re: The last hunt... - 01/24/13
Your a Good Man Scott!!
Sorry for your loss but what a memory your friend took with him!
God Bless
Posted By: High_Brass Re: The last hunt... - 01/25/13
That was a hard story to tell. My condolences on the loss of your friend and my glass is tipped at you and your efforts to see his last hunt through. Your character is overwhelming sir. God Bless you and your departed friend.

Chad
Posted By: colorado bob Re: The last hunt... - 01/25/13
Chad put into words what I was feeling. Kudos, my friend.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: The last hunt... - 01/25/13
Scott: This simply demonstrates what a genuinely good and decent human being you really are....one of the CF's Top Dogs and guy anyone would be proud to call "friend"...

Chuck RIP.
Posted By: LIV2HUNT Re: The last hunt... - 01/25/13
Scott-

Chuck couldn't have had a better friend.

God blessed you and Chuck.

God bless my friend.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: The last hunt... - 01/25/13
Scott,

Thanks for sharing part of your life with us. Knowing this was coming didn't make it any easier to read.

God's peace and mercy be with Chuck's family and friends.
Posted By: slg888 Re: The last hunt... - 01/25/13
Sorry to hear about your buddy Chuck passing. That hunt be some good memory's for you. Thanks for posting the story/pic.....that's a great buck Chuck shot!
Posted By: StrayDog Re: The last hunt... - 01/25/13
Looks like that place has some big ones! I'm glad you shared the experience, and sorry for the loss of your good friend.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: The last hunt... - 01/26/13
You're a stand up guy and a good friend Skane. May your buddy rest easy.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: The last hunt... - 01/26/13
Best story I've read. I think we all have considered that "last hunt" and the "what ifs" that go along with it. One thing I can say for certain, we all would be lucky to have such a friend. God bless you and may your friend rest in piece.
Posted By: kawi Re: The last hunt... - 01/26/13
YES. Kawi
Posted By: Ogdonia Re: The last hunt... - 01/27/13
All choked up here. Thanks for sharing your story. God bless you.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: The last hunt... - 01/27/13
Well done.
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: The last hunt... - 01/27/13
Awesome story... thats what friendship is all about.
Posted By: Ebby Re: The last hunt... - 01/28/13
Scott, unreal! Awesome story and glad you got to spend it with him. I know I've talked with you about Chuck over these last few months and I know it has been hard for you. Congrats on a special time. My MIL died on Jan 5th too and that's why I've been a little scare around here. Sorry I missed this when you first posted it. Great pic and one you will cherish for a long time. Very proud of you!

Lee
Posted By: SKane Re: The last hunt... - 01/30/13
Lee,

So sorry to hear of your MIL's passing. Whaddya say to a couple of big bucks on the ground this year in honor of the dearly departed? smile
Posted By: gophergunner Re: The last hunt... - 01/30/13
Skane,

What a noble gesture and a great story. You are an inspiration to each and every one of us. I wish I'd have had the opportunity to put a buck in front of my best buddy, who happened to be my dad too, on his last hunt. We lost him the following spring. May your friend Rest In Peace, and know that the two of you will hunt together again some day, but hopefully not for a good while yet. We're not done with you here!
Posted By: Salmonella Re: The last hunt... - 01/30/13
In a world where true friends are damn hard to come by, it hurts to the bone to lose a close one.

Great tribute to your fallen compadre.

You were blessed to have each other for this short time that we call life.

If I could chose my exit on this stage I prolly couldn't choose much better than your pal Chuck did.

Thanks for allowing us to share in your heartfelt farewell.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: The last hunt... - 01/30/13
Well done Skane!
Posted By: 1minute Re: The last hunt... - 01/30/13
Most excellent. Wouldn't mind at all if I took my last breath in such a setting. I hope it hangs on your wall.
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: The last hunt... - 01/30/13
Nicely done brother
Posted By: Ebby Re: The last hunt... - 01/31/13
Scott, you are on! Let's make it happen. I've got a couple things working. I will be in touch.

Lee
Posted By: Brad Re: The last hunt... - 02/03/13
Dang.

I never visit the deer forum and only opened this thread because it's Scott's thread. Bless you Scott for helping a friend. I lost my best childhood friend to Leukemia. I only wish I'd been able to do something like you did for a dying man.

No fan of canned hunts, but this is one case where making an exception is a no-brainer. Making a man feel a little more alive in the face of death is no crime.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: The last hunt... - 02/04/13
wow Scott!! you are a great guy!!
Posted By: mmgravy Re: The last hunt... - 02/04/13
Thanks for sharing......
Posted By: jpb Re: The last hunt... - 02/04/13
And we had a modicum of joy in telling hospice "I told you so" - they insisted he wasn't up to it... smile

Hell, even if the hospice had been "right" and he hadn't made it back from the hunting trip, YOU still would have been right for getting him out as he wished -- IMNSHO.

You, sir, are a real class act.

John
Posted By: Southeast_Arizona Re: The last hunt... - 02/05/13
Scott,

May your bud, Chuck, rest in peace and may you find peace.

Tony
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: The last hunt... - 02/06/13
Sorry to hear abut your friend but loved reading the story. Friends like you are a rare breed.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: The last hunt... - 02/07/13
Chuck's last hunt was what all of us want from our last hunt. Success and smiles with close friends. Good on you Scott.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: The last hunt... - 02/07/13
Scott,

Tell us the rest of the story. Please.

Did you or a member of the family keep the rack?

Jim
Posted By: raybass Re: The last hunt... - 02/10/13
Skane you did the right thing, an example we should all follow. RIP Chuck and a fine deer to both of you.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: The last hunt... - 02/10/13
A great tribute Scott, to your humanity. I'm sure your buddy really appreciated that last hunt. We all should be so lucky.
Posted By: SKane Re: The last hunt... - 02/10/13
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Tell us the rest of the story. Please.
Did you or a member of the family keep the rack?

Jim

Jim,

It may or may not get a shoulder mount. The funeral home director insisted on making it part of the wake so we put it on a plaque in the interim. Either way, his wife wants it to reside in their northwood's lodge - perfect spot for it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dale K Re: The last hunt... - 02/11/13
Not much to say except "Thanks for sharing" and "RIP Chuck".

Dale
Posted By: colodog Re: The last hunt... - 02/11/13
I'm glad you made the most of your chance to let Chucks heart soar one last time, Well done!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: The last hunt... - 02/16/13
Wow!

Scott,

I just caught this post for the first time. You Sir are one fine man and your buddy must have been as well! May God Bless you both.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: The last hunt... - 02/16/13
My bud Chuck has been battling cancer for the last 1.5 years. He didn't get to make the WI deer season this year because he was bed ridden. He wanted desperately to have one final hunt, and, perhaps a chance to put a good one on the ground.

The only option open to us just prior to Christmas, and, before his short window closed, was a game preserve. I was seriously conflicted about that sort of thing but was hell bent on making a final wish come true.

I searched to find one that could accommodate a last second schedule and special needs of getting around. The place - the 1000-acre Forest of Antlers in Minoqua. It's a three hour drive from home and hospice wouldn't hear of him staying overnight so we planned on several days of driving back forth if need be. (actually, hospice didn't want him to go, period grin)

The owner, Ron Lee and his staff didn't have high hopes as the weather was spitting freezing rain.

With a fair amount of work we got Chuck into the elevated blind overlooking a food plot and bundled up for the afternoon sit.

Well, the big guy was looking down as he made for a pretty quick sit as a couple of bucks entered the food plot. I had a "budget" deer in mind, but true to my prediction, Chuck would want a bigger one. After a lot of positioning and repositioning, I got my .243 in the right spot for him to anchor the one he wanted. I didn't even have time to get my ears covered as Chuck put one through the buck's boiler at about 90 yards. grin

Lots of tears and laughter ensued. I was both happy and honored to have been able to share that last hunt with him. A huge thank you to Ron Lee and his staff - finer folks you'll never meet.

[Linked Image]

Scott my friend, you are a true class act. I hope all is well with you, Im sorry to read of the loss of your friend.

Coop.
© 24hourcampfire