Home
Posted By: ShortMagFan Tower Stand Ideas - 06/10/13
Going to have a couple of enclosed tower stands built on my farm.

One in a "sendero" i had cut thru a river bottom and another in a clearcut that will get replanted in loblolly pine this winter.

Shots from either will be out to 450 yards.

I met the guy that is going to build them for me saturday to go over the locations - now i need to pick a design. They will be on 16' 6x6 posts that will be concreted into the ground 3-4 feet deep. So call it 12' to the floor.

Thinking 6'x6', enclosed with roof. Plan to put all weather carpet and an old office chair with a good shelf for sand bag out the sides with the longer shots.

Anyone with pictures they can share for ideas?

I just can't get excited about the design or cost of any of the prefab ones available that i have seen.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/10/13
I like the way you think. Sorry I don't have any pictures, since you are already going that far, I think I'd make it 10x10. You may want to stretch out and take a nap....
Posted By: wildone Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/10/13
I kinda like the 8 sided ones. 4' front and back and the 3 2'ers on the ends. Enough room for me to stretch my legs out and/or turn in the chair. Try to get a porch on it if you can makes getting in and out feel a little safer . JMHO

kinda like these http://ranchkingblinds.com/?portfolio=economy-blinds
Posted By: dcd Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/10/13
PROBLEM WITH LARGE FLOOR PLAN IS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO SIT IN BLD AT ITS HUNTING LOCATION TO ACCURATELY ESTABLISH WINDOW HEIGHT OFF FLOOR FOR OPTIMUM VIEWING. GOOD SHOOTING!
Posted By: Boise Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/10/13
For shots out to 450 you'll want some sort of rest, maybe one that folds down so the rest is out of the way most of the time. I hunted out of some 6x8 stands and thought they were way big for one person but then I never laid down. Also, it was set up to sit on stools, this wasn't comfortable but then it was a cheap stool that I carried in. Being able to sit back from the window and still see is a plus.
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/10/13
Check out potbellyblynds.com.Several of the guys and myself had them on our lease.TOTALLY MTCE FREE AND THE SECTIONS WERE EASY TO INSTALL.5 of us had 10 footers and another guy had a 15 footer,IT WAS A BEAR TO LIFT UP.
Posted By: AJD Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
I used these, worked great!

I did a 4x8 and it is right at too big for me. You have to sit at the window to see down. It's on 16ft legs and is in thick country.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...0878&pdesc=Double_8_Elevators_4_Pack

Good Luck!
Posted By: grovey Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
I've built a few for a high fenced operation here in pa. they were 8'x8' with 8'walls, a 4' x 4' porch and a full stair case on the oft side. They had a flat rubber roof and a hip roof with a 2' overhang the whole way around which cut any glare and helped shadow the hunters inside. Windows on three sides and a storm door for the entry on the porch. This was for 2 people, hunter and guide.All of the exterior was done in a forest green stain.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
[quote=AJD
I did a 4x8 and it is right at too big for me. You have to sit at the window to see down. It's on 16ft legs and is in thick country.

Good Luck![/quote]

You certainly can get TOO big. -- to see in more than 1 direction at a time.

I found for ME 42"X42" was big ENUFF for 2, me & my son. YOU and you only can determine the proper height to the BOTTOM of the windows to SHOOT out w/o straining or standing. Your length from BUTT to shoulder will determine the right height FOR YOU.

With 42X42 I could sit in the center and turn 360 w/o moving the chair.

The INSIDE overall height is also individual. I made sure mine were high nuff inside that I could stand UP w/o bending. For me that was 6'.

Build it for your height and Lenght while sitting. Only you can determine those things.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
Thanks for the thoughts.

It is a great point about making sure you can see out of all windows at all times - these stands will be located in a place where deer could come from anywhere.

i'm thinking more open air than some of the enclosed designs. Also planning for a solid shelf where i can put a sand bag on the window ledge that gives the long shots.

agree on making sure the sitting and standing heights work for me.

Good stuff

Posted By: jwall Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
S M F -

You're welcome, I learned from mistakes. Glad to share.

Jerry
Posted By: milespatton Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
I like mine 4' square with a swivel boat seat in the center. All sides are the right distance for a rest and I use a 6" deck board for the bottom of the window. That is plenty big for a sandbag if you choose to use one. Works for your coffee cup too. miles
Posted By: JPro Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
I like 4'x5' in general, with two swivel office chairs on wheels and carpet on the floor. I hunt quite often with my daughter. We have four or five box stands that are 4'x6' and they are great when I take both my girls. A cut down peice of 1x4 can be laid across the windowsills from front to back, effectively splitting the box stand in half. That will give the shooter on the left side a place to rest and stabilize their right elbow when shooting. Much better than a single-point forend rest on just the windowsill.

Posted By: milespatton Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
I Hunt alone and my swivel boat seat is solid in place. miles
Posted By: JPro Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
My uncle does the same thing, bolting the fishing seat pedestal to the floor. I've got a few well-built towers that are just under 4' square. Sitting in the middle on a swivel chair with your rifle butt on the seat between your legs and the barrel pointed up, it's certainly a good setup for getting a shot off quickly when an animal presents itself.
Posted By: AJD Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/11/13
Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=AJD

Good Luck!

You certainly can get TOO big. -- to see in more than 1 direction at a time.

I found for ME 42"X42" was big ENUFF for 2, me & my son. YOU and you only can determine the proper height to the BOTTOM of the windows to SHOOT out w/o straining or standing. Your length from BUTT to shoulder will determine the right height FOR YOU.

With 42X42 I could sit in the center and turn 360 w/o moving the chair.

The INSIDE overall height is also individual. I made sure mine were high nuff inside that I could stand UP w/o bending. For me that was 6'.

Build it for your height and Lenght while sitting. Only you can determine those things. [/quote]

You are correct, mine works great for 2 people, not as much for 1. Works but could be better. I built it with lumber from a local yard. Walls are about 4'-0 all the way around, then a header above with lots of jacks to use for steadying a rifle. Works, but could have been better. I hung camo burlap for window cover and a tarp for a roof off a high ridge center beam.

The thing I do like about it I can get up and move about. For me it makes staying in it easier.

First time it was used, my Nephew took his first deer from it on his first hunt. So it�s ok with me.
Simple, not so expensive, but functional. Next one I do will be smaller.
Posted By: wadevb1 Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/12/13
This is our all nighter. 6'x6' on platform and sides constructed on pressure treated lumber.Inside has a touch of home. I understand these blinds are not for everyone, but the big boys don't stick around when you have to cross over 600 yards of hay and food plots before dawn.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The shooting lane windows have notched 2x4s that slide into the brackets for the shooting rest.

Posted By: jwall Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/12/13
shocked shocked

That's NOT deer stand, that's a CONDOMINIUM grin grin

Do you have ROOM SERVICE?? laugh laugh
Originally Posted by AJD

Next one I do will be smaller.

That's a NOTABLE quote.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/12/13
I'm starting an 8x8x8 this weekend.
Not worried about it being too big because I can only look down two pine tree shooting lanes. The lease i'm in has every other row of pines cut out.
The reason i'm going 8x8 is so I don't have to cut lumber -just use it the way I buy it.
I plan on taking pictures of the process -i'll post them if I can later on.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/12/13
Cutting lumber is really not that hard. They have these newfangled things called power saws. grin miles
Also Mike if you cut the lumber in half >> 4X4 >> you use 1/2 as much, 1/2 the cost.
Posted By: AJD Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/12/13
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I'm starting an 8x8x8 this weekend.
Not worried about it being too big because I can only look down two pine tree shooting lanes. The lease i'm in has every other row of pines cut out.
The reason i'm going 8x8 is so I don't have to cut lumber -just use it the way I buy it.
I plan on taking pictures of the process -i'll post them if I can later on.

IMO not a good reason to go 8x8. Going that big everything gets bigger, joists, girders, supports, is more difficult to handle, and weights more. If you don't have a power saw, you would probably save enough to purchase one. You may want to think about having someone build it for you.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/13/13
Several years ago, I got carried away and built this box stand:

[Linked Image]

from plans I got here:

http://www.grandstandplans.com/deer-stand.htm

FWIW, the guy who offers these plans says the one he uses now has evolved from years of trial and error searching for the best size. He says bigger is not necessarily better. The floor of the latest version is 40" x 48". I am positive many will think that is too small. But it is perfect for one hunter and accommodates two reasonably well. I've used them with my grandchildren. You can see in all directions by turning your head. I can say that people who have seen and used this one built some of their own.

I know this is overkill, but I had the time and interest and wanted to see how it would turn out. All the ones I know of are set low. If I ever catch up on other projects, I may build another one and get some help putting it up on a tower.

One other comment: If you follow the plans, they are hell for stout. A hurricane blew one over, and nothing was damaged except the case of clay pigeons we had stored inside.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/14/13
Also Mike if you cut the lumber in half >> 4X4 >> you use 1/2 as much, 1/2 the cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dang you saved me a good bit of money --guess I might be able to get one of those cutting devices Miles speaks ! laf..

I might go 5x6 feet looked at an arbor yesterday that was 8 feet tall then 8x8 square -that is getting pretty big.
We hunt hogs at night here in Florida so my reason for going big is because it will be my home away from home. I'll watch for hogs all night then deer all day -then sleep mid day in the blind.
I have car camping equipment -cot -little buddy heater -coffee pot etc. plan on spending a LOT of time in this blind.
As long as I have room to sleep it'll be big enough and 5x6 should be OK.
It's dangerous to hunt all night then drive 65 miles home .
Only 6 feet high too.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/14/13
laugh laugh laugh

Whatever floats UR boat.

You only have to meet UR needs and be happy. smile
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/14/13
I need to get some pics of mine. Much like many here-16' 6X6's, 4X8 almost too big. next one will likely be 4X4.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/14/13
Last one was hexagon, 4 foot sides. Works really nice for the wife and I.

Next one in work is an 8x8 square because i had it as a pumphouse... will have a cot in it too...

ain't so much hunting as it is watching and selective shooting, but thats how it is here most times.

Last thing I want is cramped up... we have a 42x48 up close to a feeder for pictures and such at the lease.... damn thing is NOT comfortable for extended periods at all. Just no room to move for 2 of us.
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/14/13
I have a 4x6 and it is just about rite for me. The wife and I can hunt comfortable and also can take the niece or nephew along.
Mine is fully insulated with Sheetrock and carpet for sound barrier. I also put two layers of 3/4 plywood on the floor to help with sound. Kids can move around and the noise is low. Deer don't seem to hear them at all.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/15/13
build it on wheels,like this. we killed 7 deer out of it the first year i built it.with a swivel office chair and a sand bag i'm good out to 450-500yds

[Linked Image]
or a ground blind thats very light weight
[Linked Image]
i can tow the top one with my atv,works great around standing corn
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/28/13
My son is building a "wildlife observation blind" for his Eagle Scout project. He still has to put the railings, walls, siding and roof on.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bbear Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/28/13
Couple of suggestions on 'added comfort' - build the walls w/ some insulation inside and/or line the inside with some old shag carpeting. The insulation will help keep things just a few degrees warmer than the bare wood/metal/plastic and the shag adds to that as well as added sound insulation.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/28/13
we've built a couple each year and have learned that 6x6 is a bit big and I would go with 4x4 so you only have to spin your chair and not roll it to the shooting rail. Keep the walls about 40" and no taller, especially if you need a rest for 450 yard shots.

If those 450 yard shots are reality, then you almost need a full bench around you and my dimensions won't work. You need to design your favorite shooting bench then.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/30/13
Originally Posted by humdinger
we've built a couple each year and have learned that 6x6 is a bit big and I would go with 4x4 so you only have to spin your chair and not roll it to the shooting rail. Keep the walls about 40" and no taller, especially if you need a rest for 450 yard shots.

If those 450 yard shots are reality, then you almost need a full bench around you and my dimensions won't work. You need to design your favorite shooting bench then.

Definitely will have a shelf for a front rest out the window with the long shots. If i have a solid front rest and somewhere to anchor my right elbow i'm rock solid

Edited to ask: is 4x4 big enough for 2 people? I will be by myself most of the time but would like the option of taking one of my kids
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/30/13
I guess I could get my blind elevated, never tried.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/30/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I guess I could get my blind elevated, never tried.

[Linked Image]

Still got a ways to go before i get to your skills steelhead.

Elevated stands and 300 mags are my way. Still wear camo too (Sometimes even in the box blind) and have even been known to hunt a food plot every now and then to shoot does in the evening. But somehow it hasnt slowed me down

Some day i will graduate to the 223ai, a five gallon bucket and bahamiam print shirt...it seems to work well for you

Posted By: rifle Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 06/30/13
Don't forget the carpet,AC and bug screen. Close up the end on the roof so them damn wasp don't build a nest.
Oh, be sure no snakes can climb in....
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 07/01/13
Edited to ask: is 4x4 big enough for 2 people? I will be by myself most of the time but would like the option of taking one of my kids

4x6 is really much better for two.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 07/01/13
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

4x6 is really much better for two.

I agree. Its a good compromise size.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 07/04/13

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dang you saved me a good bit of money --guess I might be able to get one of those cutting devices Miles speaks ! laf..

I might go 5x6 feet looked at an arbor yesterday that was 8 feet tall then 8x8 square -that is getting pretty big.
We hunt hogs at night here in Florida so my reason for going big is because it will be my home away from home. I'll watch for hogs all night then deer all day -then sleep mid day in the blind.
I have car camping equipment -cot -little buddy heater -coffee pot etc. plan on spending a LOT of time in this blind.
As long as I have room to sleep it'll be big enough and 5x6 should be OK.
It's dangerous to hunt all night then drive 65 miles home .
Only 6 feet high too.

Mike,

If you want to minimize the work involved, have you considered buying a small garden shed either new or second hand? It would be fairly easy to add legs to get it to the required height...

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 07/09/13
Unless you are planning on hunting two people at the same time out of two chairs 6'x6' seems too big. If just one hunter, you would be needing to move your chair around and that could be a little inconvienant.

Most of the blinds I've hunted out of have been 4'x4' and you get your chair set where you want it and that's it. Though a 4'-6" square would be nicer.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 07/09/13
I like sliding plexiglas windows with carpet scraps in the track for quietness. Also, with a stand that can be closed up you can fumigate wasp nests more effectively.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 07/12/13
Pete ,

I have considered that -but we can hunt year round for hogs and summertime in Florida is hot.
So i'm going to build it with screen walls then figure out what to close it up with when it gets cold [November here].
My plan is to keep the walls very lightweight -because if the timber company decides to cut trees at my spot I would have to move to another area on the hunting lease.
I'd have to take the roof and walls down then drag the platform to my new spot with the tractor and rebuild it there.
I'm back to 8' tall 8'x8' square and 6'6" in height.
As I said -I'll be staying in it camping out for a few days at a time.
Planning on making the walls out of treated 2x2" with fiber glass screen on each wall piece and just lift them up on the platform and screw them down.
Roof material -still not sure.

Our lease is a swamp right off the Choctawhatchee river -I plan on hunting the river out of my little Gheenoe boat during the day and camping/hunting hogs out of this blind at night.
I use a TX Boars light shined on timed feeders and rub areas for hogs.
Can't wait to get the blind finished -to keep from having to breath a Thermacell --those things can't be good for you/me.
Lease is under water -been monsooning here for weeks -deepest its been in 20years says the Club Manager -hope my lumber hasn't washed away !

StrayDog the plexiglas windows sound good -I saw some tinted on a prefab blind -that looks nice for daytime hunting.
Posted By: 25-06 Lilja Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 07/14/13
Really nice during a hunt with snow on the ground!

[Linked Image]

First week of the Alabama deer season!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete E Re: Tower Stand Ideas - 07/14/13
Pete ,

I have considered that -but we can hunt year round for hogs and summertime in Florida is hot.
So i'm going to build it with screen walls then figure out what to close it up with when it gets cold [November here].
My plan is to keep the walls very lightweight -because if the timber company decides to cut trees at my spot I would have to move to another area on the hunting lease.
I'd have to take the roof and walls down then drag the platform to my new spot with the tractor and rebuild it there.
I'm back to 8' tall 8'x8' square and 6'6" in height.
As I said -I'll be staying in it camping out for a few days at a time.
Planning on making the walls out of treated 2x2" with fiber glass screen on each wall piece and just lift them up on the platform and screw them down.
Roof material -still not sure.

Our lease is a swamp right off the Choctawhatchee river -I plan on hunting the river out of my little Gheenoe boat during the day and camping/hunting hogs out of this blind at night.
I use a TX Boars light shined on timed feeders and rub areas for hogs.
Can't wait to get the blind finished -to keep from having to breath a Thermacell --those things can't be good for you/me.
Lease is under water -been monsooning here for weeks -deepest its been in 20years says the Club Manager -hope my lumber hasn't washed away !

StrayDog the plexiglas windows sound good -I saw some tinted on a prefab blind -that looks nice for daytime hunting.

Mike,

Given the envornment, it sounds like bug proofing is going to be a priority if you intend sleeping out in it..

Re moving location, one thing I have done with lean-to highseats is to build them with simple stub axles. This allowed us to temporarily fit two 'barrow wheels.. Dragging the seats into their final location was then much easier..

Not sure if this idea is something you can adapt to your situation, but something along these lines might make any eventual move much easier...

Regards

Peter
© 24hourcampfire