Home
Posted By: EricM Anyone hunt D15 in CA...? - 06/26/13
D16 tags were filled this year so I'll be exploring further north in D15... Cleveland National Forest area. I'm curious if anyone has hunted this area before? I know it's a long shot...

Success rate is around 3.5%. crazy

Cheers,
Eric
Posted By: tdbob Re: Anyone hunt D15 in CA...? - 06/26/13
I haven't hunted deer there, just quail in the San Mateo Canyon Wilderness. Chaparral gets pretty thick in there. Try to get the Cleveland National Forest Atlas, it's a compilation of 7 1/2' quad maps in a spiral bound book. It cost $25 when I bought it 3-4yrs ago and well worth it if you do much traveling around in the Cleveland.
Posted By: Ziggy Re: Anyone hunt D15 in CA...? - 06/27/13
Unfortunately you will be in competition with the numerous mountain lion in that area. Could be one of the reasons why it has a 3.5% success rate. Seriously though I have been in that area while working hounds and had them pick up on a track more than once.
Posted By: EricM Re: Anyone hunt D15 in CA...? - 06/27/13
There's a CNF office next to my workplace. I'm going to stop over and check out their maps. The spiral book sounds like a good investment. I have a few leads and plan to do some pre-season scouting.

I've also heard from a guy who has trail cams set up in the CNF. He's seeing as many lions as deer. This might be a good excuse to carry my 44 mag mountain gun. smile

I should probably find some snake gaiters, too. That country is chock full of rattlers.

Eric
© 24hourcampfire