Home
gonna try some new ammo this year and decided btwn these two. anyone shoot either of these And which would u suggest? thanks!
I'm not an SST fan, they have been in general very inaccurate but worse than that they have been very 'explosive' on deer.

I'd rate it as my least favorite bullet across the board.
really? ive read great reviews on em. but never shot em so i cant say. may try out the barnes this year then
Last year I shot antelope and elk with a .270 and 140 SST.. For my $ you don't need a premium bullet to kill a deer..
I'll not use one again, even on a dare.
I owe you an apology, I was wrong about them not being accurate, I was thinking of the Interbond, the SST's did shoot well. I didn't like them on game though.
Unless I missed it, you don't mention what cartridge you are going to be shooting them out of. If you are going to be shooting them much over 2800 fps at deer, I'd definitely opt toward the Barnes.
Used the 100 gr. TTSX in my .25-Oh a couple times on deer. Not too impressed. They are accurate as all get out in my rifle. But IMHO they are too much bullet for whitetail. I went back old school to cup & core. Seem to kill the deer quicker and not kill my wallet so fast.
sorry. im shooting a .270
i do have an extra box of 150gr corelokt i could use those up i reckon. used ballistic tip last year and didnt care for em
Originally Posted by killindeer

For that, a 110 grain TTSX is going to be damn hard to beat.
Either one of those bullets will make a dead deer out of live one from a .270 WCF. The Barnes will likely do it with less mess and bloodshot meat.

Either will put meat in the freezer.
I've used the 95 gr SST Hornady Super Performance ammo in my new 6mm last year since I didn't have time to work up new handloads before deer season. They worked great on our small bodied TX Whitetails & more than a few Feral Hogs.

I'm going to try the Barnes 85gr TTSX out in that Rifle this year. My buddies have had good luck with the Barnes Bullet & say they are accurate & perform well too.
i do have an extra box of 150gr corelokt i could use those up i reckon. used ballistic tip last year and didnt care for em

This is just my opinion, but if you don't like the Ballistic Tip's performance, you probably aren't going to like that of the SST either. They are pretty much aimed at the same performance envelope. I've used them in the 25 caliber and they did pretty nasty things when contacting solid bone.

Kaiser Norton
I'd throw a 110gr TTSX at 3300fps and flame some [bleep].
What's the score on the GMX from Hornady?
Just a though, I wonder how many years will pass before any of todays supper bullet's can claim the number of kill's of the Remington core lock? I have never even used core locks but boy what a track record! I wonder just how many kills they have had? I'm gonna have to get a box someday just to try them! The bullet's I use today are basically the same bullet's I used almost 50yrs ago, they just keep working!
VorTx 130TTSX is my go to round in my Sako M75 .270;accurate and effective.
I used the 140 gr Hornady SST for the first time last year. It was shot out of a 270 WSM at about 3175 fps. It's very accurate in my rifle.

The white tail deer was running at about 150 yds and was DRT. The bullet was explosive and did it's job. The blind I hunt out of overlooks a pasture bordered by a very large swamp that you don't want to track a wounded deer in. So DRT is more important to me than preserving every ounce of meat. I'm looking forward to trying that load out again this year.

Dan
Core lokt's just plain work, but take a look at these....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...ltra-bonded-pointed-soft-point-box-of-20
I too, like Dantheman, use 140 gr SST out of my 270. They work great on these big whitetails we have up here in Ssak. Not a big believer in premium bullets for deer. Would rather have a little bit of spoiled meat and dead deer than a pinhole that missed the vitals. Don't get me wrong, I love my premium bullets on Moose and Elk. JMHO.
Norma Vulcans.check them out,theyre serious bullets. Search it for images too and youll find the Vulcans damage.

Cutting Edge bullets makes a great all solid brass or something bullet that the nose comes apart on their expanders and they seem to be very efficient.

but between your two, the Barnes TTSX,because they cover a wide range of calibers and corresponding impact velocities and perform well,even in Africa. Id say Barnes. But Hornady makes great long range bullets too.

just check out the Norma Vulcan

You can't kill a deer with a 270, no matter what bullet you use! grin
Originally Posted by Whelenman

You can't kill a deer with a 270, no matter what bullet you use! grin

I've learned that, right here on the Fire. Also heard something about the .270 being "gay".

Good thing I'm a well informed hunter and rifleman... crazy

DF
Quite frankly before I used the 140 gr SST I was using a 140 gr Interlock that performed very well. Even with good hits and perfect expansion I just wasn't always getting the DRT performance I was looking for.

If I wasn't going after heavy boned game on a guided hunt and just wanted more penetration I would go to the Interlock. I've used the Interlock in several different calibers and find them to be an excellent all around bullet (for white tails, which is my experience) . They expand well and are plenty tough for most applications.

Dan
There is no doubt that SSTs will kill like Thor's hammer, but there is just too much meat lost for me. They group very well in the rifles that I use most, but there are other bullets that kill just as well with less collateral damage.
I'm with mudhen and SH. No SST's for me, especially seeing this carnage last Sept on a NM antelope hunt (sorry to be repetitive in posting this pic again, for the 3rd time). 139 SST Hornady Superformance factory ammo and a 7mag from about 100 yds...

[Linked Image]

Just like the last time you asked this question killindeer, my answer to your question is a 130 partition.
I'm sure stone spear points have taken more deer than the cor lokt, but that doesn't mean I'm going to use them on record alone.

Same goes for the SST.
Can't go wrong with barnes.
Go with the 110 TTSX or 130 Partiton. Do yourself a favor and forget you heard of SST's....
alright takin sst off the list.
I've used both and had good results with both. SST's in Wby257mag, Rem. 7mm-08 and 14" 7-30Waters Contender. Barnes was my favorite with Wby240mag. Killed a couple big hogs with them..also a couple with the SST's.
If you didn't like the Ballistic Tips, you won't like SST, sounds like you have some good deer bullets already in your possesion. If you go with Barnes I'd recommend the 110 gr TTSX launched as fast as safely possible.
barnes.
90gr GMX in my 25-06. Whitetail DRT with little damage.
I've used the 120 gr. TTSX in my 7mm-08s for the last four years on whitetails. Not always DRT but usually within 20 yrds. or so. That is as good as any other bullet I have used in the last 40 yrs. They always exit fairly small but do a lot of internal damage to the heart and lungs. Very little meat damage and I like that.

In my experience, DRT happens when the central nervous system is damaged (spine or brain). Not saying it doesn't happen, it does, but it also depends a bit on the deer's adrenalin flow at the shot. Just saying that NO bullet will guarantee DRT every time you pull the trigger.

There are other bullets that work for sure, but for me....I like the TTSX.
My sample size is small with the SST - 2. Both were heart/lung shot at pretty close range with a 7mm08. They both sprinted a short distance and tipped over. I wouldn't hesitate to use that bullet again.

I've shot a bunch with TTSXs varying from a 100 grainer from a .257 Roberts to a 180 from a .300 Win Mag. Most of them were with a 150 grain bullet from a .30/06. When I started shooting the bullet, I was concerned they wouldn't perform as well as lead on whitetails, but have been pleased. If you hit the shoulder, they fall over. If you shoot behind it, they run a little way dead on their feet. They generally leave really easy to follow blood trails.

SST's are accurate but not very meat friendly. The Hornady SP Interlocks are my choice for cup/core.

I mostly shoot Barnes TTSX out of my .223AI, .280 and .257 WBY.
I used SST's in 2011 on a doe, and it too will be the last time I used them. I was using the 139gr ones from a .280 Rem. The bullet went in and out with no blood trail at all in a heart/lung shot. I think when I get back in the lower 48 hunting deer, I will stick with Remington Cor-lokts, and Federal Fusions.
Say I use the Hornady's and have had very good luck with them.

But you could use the tttttttsssx and it wouldn't matter if you could shoot worth [bleep] you'd scare them to death.
killindeer, take the sst off your list if you want, but I think most of the problems are velocity issue's. I have seen and used the 130 SST in 270 and 150's in 308 and NEVER seen anything close to what has been shared here. My deer total with the SST is substantial. However I do run try to hot rod them. My 270 is about 2900 or so and my 308 is right around 2550.

Just real world info.

Randy
I love me some Barnes bullets, but had my first TTSX not expand on a critter. Hit a bull caribou in the lungs with a 140gr via my 7 WSM. At first when I rolled the bull over, I thought I might catch my first Barnes bullet then noticed the tiny exit hole that wasn't much bigger than the bullet diameter. Shot distance was about 60 or 70 yards or so.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I love me some Barnes bullets, but had my first TTSX not expand on a critter. Hit a bull caribou in the lungs with a 140gr via my 7 WSM. At first when I rolled the bull over, I thought I might catch my first Barnes bullet then noticed the tiny exit hole that wasn't much bigger than the bullet diameter. Shot distance was about 60 or 70 yards or so.

Skin is rather elastic - chances are the bullet came out expanded and the exit wound came back down in size.

What did the vitals look like during the necropsy?
Forgot to add that no ribs were hit either and the lungs held up considerably well for obviously having a bullet punch through em.
Shot 2 whitetails w 165gr SSTs out of my .308 and both were bang flops. Exit holes size of a nickel.
I used the early SST's in a 30.06 was not impressed with them and won't use them again. I hear great things about the 162 SST in 7 mag so that I may try.
alright takin sst off the list.

Smart choice IF you are running normal 270 vel. ie. 3100 fps or so.

I can attest to the dependability of Hornady Ils and Rem core lokts.

I have all I need, but I hear FINDING the Horn. Ils is difficult.

GOOD LUCK whichever.
Originally Posted by rta48
killindeer, take the sst off your list if you want, but I think most of the problems are velocity issue's. I have seen and used the 130 SST in 270 and 150's in 308 and NEVER seen anything close to what has been shared here. My deer total with the SST is substantial. However I do run try to hot rod them. My 270 is about 2900 or so and my 308 is right around 2550.

Just real world info.

Randy

I agree..I was looking for a good bullet in my 7-30Waters 14" Contender and talked to a Hornady rep when the SST's first came out. He told me the reason for them was good expansion at lower velocity. I've use them with hot loads in wby 257 ext..but just to see what they would do. Liked them best in 139grs. in 7mm-08 with mild loads.
I've used 150 SSTs at 2850 fps out of my 308 on more than a few medium sized pigs, can't tell the difference between them and Federal factory 150 soft points or my Corelok handloads, penetrations seems adequate to put them down quick, they don't appear to be overly fragile.
139 gr SSTs out of my 7MM RM is a totally different story, at the higher speeds they tear up a lot of meat.
I have had good luck with 150 grainSSTs in my 308 at about 2,630. I have not caught one yet but in heart lung shots the exit holes have been small however internal damage has been considerable. At higher speeds they might be a bit soft.

-Z
may use the interlocks this year instead
ive killed 5 deer with the 130 TTSX in 308win loaded over 3000fps at the muzzle and 1 deer with the 150 SST in 308 win launched at approx 2800

all 5 barnes exited
the 1 sst did not

to be fair the SST was a frontal shot, all the barnes were broadside or quartering to/away...

all killed deer

the deer traveled farther with the SST than it did any of the barnes for whatever its worth, about 50 yards

the SST retained 50% of weight and deer was approx 70 yards away

the TTSX shots were all 20-50 yards or so, some through both shoulders
3 were DRT, 2 "moved", one went 10 yards, one went 15 yards

ttsx exits:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
wish they did the 110 gr barnes in factory ammo. all i see is the 130gr
i have a bud who reloads mine...ive thought about trying the 110TTSX at 3250-3300 fps

should make quite an impact but the BC is horrible for longer range
wish they did the 110 gr barnes in factory ammo. all i see is the 130gr

WHY?

Originally Posted by SAKO75
i have a bud who reloads mine...ive thought about trying the 110TTSX at 3250-3300 fps

should make quite an impact but the BC is horrible for longer range

Yes indeed! 110 gr - .308 cal >>awful B C!

IMO - For my hunting... light per caliber HAS A LIMIT!!
i mean for my 270. the 110grain. isnt that in the barnes equivalent to a 130gr in most other ammo
I do like my Barnes in several chamberings especially the 85 TSX in 6mm but still use Nosler PT's and recently loaded the SST's for a rancher's kid. His Dad swears by the Hornady offering even at 7 win mag velocities guess they should work fine in the kid's 7x57.

BTW thanks Karnis for the 7x57 cases they're in short supply everywhere. smile
i mean for my 270. the 110grain.

Okay... that's certainly better. I got distracted 'from' another thread about .308 cal & 150 gr bullets.

Sorry.
I've used them in factoty Hornaday 139gr SST in a Rem 700 Classic 7x57... kills them DRT!!!
I shoot 95 gr SSt in 243 for Tennessee Whitetails (average 100-150#) Good accuracy and sure kills but not drop in tracks.
In 7mm-08 Savage heavy barrel I use 162 SST and have excellent results. Good expansion with exit hole. Yes it is heavy bullet but accuracy is 1/2" and this is the open field rifle for longer shots.
In 270 win I find the 130 interlock from Hornady better on the medium size deer. The SST in 270 kills dead but did not give me exit holes or good blood trails. Deer only went 50 yards at longest so can't really complain. Just prefer the performance of Interlock bullets in 270.
I shot a goat out on Kodik Island w/ a SST from my 300 wsm. I will never do that again as it blew one heck of a hole on the far side. Since then, I pretty much exclusively use TTSX's in all my rifles.
barnes for me 120's or 140's out of the 7-08 have been lethal over varget. I doubt I'll ever look for another bullet for hunting purposes.
Greenbrier nailed it, the SST rip things up. we staple our targets up on plywood at our camp, and the SST bullets, it doesnt matter which caliber(we have the from 25cal to 30cal)just splinter the plywood compared to some other bullets that we load.

What's wrong with keeping it simple? If your goal is to put meat in the freezer, I would load up the CL's and go to the woods.
I know I've put this up before but this is a .270 150 sst fired into ballistic gel with an embeded deer pelvis. 2900fps impact, a little slower than the 130s but with a .529 BC these things hum. I'm crushed they are now "seasonal" run whatever that is. Have to buy a pile when they open up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jswXZ2BG638

© 24hourcampfire