Home
What works for you?
Everything around here had a bur, seed pod or some type of clinger / sticker on it. Yes I said "had" there now all on my hunting pants. After this last bushwhack scouting trip I'm ready to throw them in the trash.
I'm in Minnesota so it could be 80 or it could be -20 during deer season. Must be quite, water resistant would be great also.
Any help would be great.
The thick Carrhart jeans seem to be a bit better for that it seems.

They're stiff and not super warm but I wear em baggy and layer. Nice thing is you can get em in a nice dark tan/dirt color.
The tougher stuff ain't gonna be quiet
I do love carrhart jeans but not for hunting. Way to noisy and here in Minnesota you don't dare wear anything brown, dirt, or tan colored. Unless you want that part blown off. Way to many people around here shoot first then look. All my hunting Is state land and its not big enough to get away from other hunters unless I drive 4 hours north.
Originally Posted by Les7603006
I do love carrhart jeans but not for hunting. Way to noisy and here in Minnesota you don't dare wear anything brown, dirt, or tan colored. Unless you want that part blown off. Way to many people around here shoot first then look. All my hunting Is state land and its not big enough to get away from other hunters unless I drive 4 hours north.

Ahh - I hunt private, no issues there.
I used to have a pair of LEVIs that had a briar proof covering over the legs that really were good.
heres some from duluth trading.

pants
I have found that quiet and thorn/briar resistant are mutually exclusive things.

Filson etc and layer works, but damn sure isn't quiet. Wool or fleece is quiet as can be, and you can't ever get all the crap off of it if you hunt the thick stuff.

My best compromise so far is some scent-lok raingear that is reasonably quiet. It is also camo, so you need a vest over it.

For rifle season, I am usually in a pair of insulated carhart bibs on the bottom, as I need to be warm sitting for long periods of time.
I do like the Duluth trading pants and will be getting some for grouse hunting.
I still need something for deer hunting. I have to have some sort of camo. To me, wearing those in the deer woods would be like wearing a black sweatshirt and a American flat hat on a state land turkey hunt.
Fleece or wool. Burs, thorns, briers and whatnot are part of the territory. I'm not wearing them later to a formal dinner.

Sitka gear while crazy expensive is relatively quiet and removing stickers isn't all that hard.
Originally Posted by battue

Sitka gear while crazy expensive is relatively quiet and removing stickers isn't all that hard.

Tis true. But a nice briar patch will raise hell with tears and pulls. Axe me how I know. smile

If one is animate about keeping the pointy/sticky stuff off/out, I'd look at an upland pant of some sort.

I use a Burz Off burr remover. It works rather well.
http://www.burzoff.com/

[Linked Image]
laffin'
I call it "over armor"

Guess what I wear under it?

grin
Agree they will fray some. Pair of scissors will clean them up quickly. Have yet to get a tear.

Upland pants are my mainstay when the weather is mild enough. Some are quieter than others, but quiet is often overrated. Bet I catch some chit over that sentence. smile But I could have shot more than a few Deer wearing upland pants and jacket while busting thru the brush while Grouse hunting.

Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

I especially like the articulating shoulder, knee and elbow construction.
Originally Posted by battue
but quiet is often overrated. Bet I catch some chit over that sentence.

Not from me � I'm right there with ya.
My mom made me a couple of hunting suits with her sewing machine. One is made of burlap and one is made of blue poly tarp.

Because sometimes I like burs sticking to me and sometimes I don't.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Deer almost ALWAYS see me when I wear the blue one.
I shot a 6pt buck while cutting/busting brush for a shooting lane. The woods is hardly quiet, I'm not either. Movement is more important IMO.

Northern daves suit works great but it's well when it rains.
You button the top button while stalking?
yes, sometimes I even flip the collar.

Cool.

Deer almost ALWAYS see me when I wear the blue one.

I shot a doe with a bow wearing a blue flannel shirt. She was curious as to what the heck I was and kept coming back, snorting, taking off and coming back over and over until she finally gave me a shot.

Great camo!

smile
Columbia and Levi make brush pants for reasonable prices. I have both and they work really well in TX where we hunt. Everything up there has stickers and thorns, heck, you can't even sit down on bare dirt and not get cheeks full of the dang sand stickers/burrs.
Ye Olde Carhartt plain bibs.
my self,I wear wool bibs for hunting,burrs be damned.
the dry cleaner gets them all out,free of charge. grin
yes, sometimes I even flip the collar.

Straight pimpin!
Originally Posted by fluffy
my self,I wear wool bibs for hunting,burrs be damned.
the dry cleaner gets them all out,free of charge. grin

Wool is my choice also. I was not up to date on all the new stuff so I thought I would see what others were using. Looks like I'll be keeping my wool and buying another set. Burs be damned. Didn't think about the dry cleaners. But the wife is good at it. She has a knack at picking at things that annoye me.
Russel's APXg2 L4 layer. Love it out this way. Burrs and the like everywhere
© 24hourcampfire