Home
[Linked Image] Here's a buck that's still in velvet as of last Sunday. My guess is he'll probably always be in velvet. Obviously, something has affected his rack. Often a buck stays in velvet if he has had an injury to his testicles.

His right antler is smooth, and most of his points are clustered around the bases. I'd like to kill this one, just because he's interesting, butI probably won't be hunting where I got this picture, and this is the only day I've photographed him.

I have 4 or 5 pictures of him, but I can't tell how many points he has -- 8, 9, 10, 11 -- your guess is as good as mine.

Steve.
Could be an antlered doe as well..

There's a nice 8pt doe hanging in the local archery shop, they do exist...
Stag.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Could be an antlered doe as well..

There's a nice 8pt doe hanging in the local archery shop, they do exist...

Could be. I'd still like to shoot it. Would make a cool Euro mount.

Steve.
I've seen a few pictures of bucks taken recently up here in full velvet still. My buddies wife just shot a super mulie yesterday that was in full velvet
Just talked to someone who saw that buck in June -- he said it was hit by a car. He was dragging his left rear leg at the time.

In the pictures I have of him, he looks like he's bearing weight now. So, maybe he'll be OK. Anyway, that answers most questions:
1. He's probably a buck, not a doe.
2. He's probably not genetically inferior; the wacky antler growth is from being injured early in the growing season.
3. His 'nads may or may not be OK. If he makes it through the season and gets healed up, he might be functional and grow a decent set of bone next year.
4. The jury is still out on whether he's legal. I have a photo on my iPhone, and if I run into the WCO I'll see if he gives the thumbs up.

Steve.
© 24hourcampfire