Home
Posted By: BigFin Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Shot this public land buck earlier this week. Good storm in the high country made glassing and spotting a lot easier. Always love hunting this roadless backcountry, even though the retrieval task is always challenging.

Should just get better from here on out. Especially given the amount of deer that were moving out of the high country.

Many here often ask for "tools of the task." Here they are.

Howa 1500 .308 Win
Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip
Leupold VX-3 3.5X10 40mm CDS
Range 120 yards

[Linked Image]

As he lay.
[Linked Image]
Very nice Randy..
Nice buck !
Posted By: eyeball Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Good job, Randy.
Nice deer Randy!
Posted By: BigFin Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Meant to post credit for the guy in the photo with me. It is Brad Veis, a "Backcountry Badass" from the Rocky Mountain Front country, and also my main cameraman. He carried all his production gear and the boned out hind quarters for two hours, down one nasty chute of snow, ice, and blowdown.

I almost felt guilty, but carrying all my hunting gear, the fronts, backstaps, trim, and head was a heavy enough load that the guilt was not too intense. I did buy him coffee the following morning. blush
Posted By: Tanner Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Awesome buck Randy. Sounds like a great hunt.

Tanner
Posted By: efw Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Nice buck!
Posted By: dtspoke Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Nice, I'm assuming we'll get to see this next fall?
Originally Posted by dtspoke
Nice, I'm assuming we'll get to see this next fall?

Yup. The entire fire drill and fiasco that it was.
Posted By: 805 Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Congrats Randy! Just watched last years back country hunt. Was this the same area?
Originally Posted by 805
Congrats Randy! Just watched last years back country hunt. Was this the same area?

Nope, different area. But extremely similar in that it was a roadless chunk of ground within a couple miles of the designated Wilderness Area, hunting migrating bucks. This year, we have a lot of snow up high, so the bucks are coming out a lot earlier.

Next year I will be back up in the area you watched us hunt on that episode. Tough going, but the quality of bucks there is worth the effort expended.
Really nice buck! Congrats!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Congrats.
Posted By: SKane Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Way to go Randy! Well done!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Great buck Randy. That CDS still workin' like it should? I love mine. BTW, I love your show too, and I'm very critical. Yours is one of a small handful that I feel is worth my time to watch.
Posted By: SKane Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Originally Posted by JGRaider
BTW, I love your show too, and I'm very critical. Yours is one of a small handful that I feel is worth my time to watch.

this.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Nice job Randy, I look forward to watching the hunt.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
YOU SUCK!

laugh
Posted By: SLM Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Very nice..Congrats.
Good buck. Congrats.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Nice one Randy, cool looking rack too. Congrats!
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/01/13
Great job Randy! That's a dandy buck..

Ben
Congratulations!
Nice deer!
Posted By: jwall Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/02/13
Good buck.

I've watched this whole season,As far as I know, and enjoyed every one.

Looking forward to next season.

Congrats!
Posted By: Huntr Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/02/13
Very nice! Congrats.
Posted By: BigFin Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/02/13
Thanks for all the kind comments, guys. Hope all of you are in the midst of great seasons.

Packing the truck for a month-long elk tour through Colorado, back up to Wyoming, and then to Arizona. Only had four days to hunt my home state of MT, so very thankful that this buck offered himself when he did.

Originally Posted by ingwe
YOU SUCK!

laugh

Another season now validated with a the patented "YOU SUCK" from Ingwe. Hope your season goes well.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great buck Randy. That CDS still workin' like it should? I love mine. BTW, I love your show too, and I'm very critical. Yours is one of a small handful that I feel is worth my time to watch.

The CDS works great, JG. At least for a hack like me. And is very easier for guest hunters to get the hang of when they have to shoot my rifle set ups. Falls into the "What did I do without it" category.

Thanks for the kind comments on the show. I think when people see this episode, they will like it. Regardless of the end result, it was one of my favorite hunts.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/02/13
I love your show Randy.....but you are starting to Turbo-suck.... wink

Can't wait for the elk pics!
Posted By: buffybr Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/03/13
Hey Randy nice buck. Hope you have a great elk hunt in Colorado, etc. A big bull would be a great birthday present.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/03/13
nice!!
Originally Posted by BigFin
Shot this public land buck earlier this week. Good storm in the high country made glassing and spotting a lot easier. Always love hunting this roadless backcountry, even though the retrieval task is always challenging.

Should just get better from here on out. Especially given the amount of deer that were moving out of the high country.

Many here often ask for "tools of the task." Here they are.

Howa 1500 .308 Win
Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip
Leupold VX-3 3.5X10 40mm CDS
Range 120 yards

[Linked Image]

As he lay.
[Linked Image]
Love those "kickers" on the antlers! Oh and nice buck BigFin. cool
Where are you going to hunt elk in Arizona? I'm going to start putting in for Arizona and any info you can give will be helpful.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/03/13
Nice buck! Congratulations.
Posted By: BigFin Re: Early season MT Mule Deer - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Where are you going to hunt elk in Arizona? I'm going to start putting in for Arizona and any info you can give will be helpful.

Flagstaff area. Third year in a row for me and fourth AZ elk tag since 2005. AZ is not as hard to draw as everyone thinks, if you are willing to apply for some of the later hunts that require a lot more work to find a bull. Late rifle seasons will have you hunting the same herds of elk as the early rifle/muzzy/archery hunts, just a LOT tougher hunting conditions.
Was going to put in for late bull elk hunts in Arizona. Flagstaff area hmmmm going to look into that also. Was talking to krp and he suggested area 23 and 22 North.

Thank you for answering my question BigFin. smile
© 24hourcampfire