Home
Posted By: MGunns SHEDS - 02/14/14
Halfway through Feb and no shed thread. You guys finding any good ones?
Posted By: Cinch Re: SHEDS - 02/14/14
Nothing yet. Been watching them every day and still nothing letting them go...
Posted By: davidlea Re: SHEDS - 02/14/14
I've seen lots of bucks that have dropped, some as early as late Dec. but no sheds yet eek I am always anxious to start looking but want to have the best chance by waiting later. I saw a big buck with both sides last week and a buck with one antler hit by a car. The latest I've seen a buck carrying both sides here was April 11th, and have found fresh drops before Christmas. Go figure.
Posted By: roundoak Re: SHEDS - 02/14/14
Snow and ice a problem here. Been out on snowshoes hunting, but no luck. We had a two day January thaw. The spring thaw is probably the earliest I will be finding the sheds.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: SHEDS - 02/14/14
still a little early here, usually now is good, but I'm still seeing bucks with headgear. it's a good sign the later they carry them.
Posted By: MGunns Re: SHEDS - 02/15/14
Took a stroll today, nothing fresh but found a dead 6 point skeleton and a year old 4pt on one side that had been chewed pretty good. Ran into a game warden and he said they are shedding right now.
Posted By: rost495 Re: SHEDS - 02/15/14
Way early here, all bucks still have antlers.

Sometimes the spikes and such loose em towards end of January.

Pretty common for ours not to drop until mid march.

Have seen all 3 though, in mid to end of April, that is velvet stubs, no antlers, and hard antlers. Kinda weird seeing a bachelor group looking like that.
Posted By: smokinggun Re: SHEDS - 02/15/14
We had a poor acorn crop this past year. Not sure if that's why but most of the bucks I saw lost antlers before the end of Dec. Do you have any tips on finding them? Sure seems like looking for a needle in a haystack. I guess I have never found any sheds because I have never gone looking for them. I have an idea, the wife wants to go walking....cool
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: SHEDS - 02/15/14
I find the most of them along trails or where they feed at night. there's no real formula to it, they can fall at any time really. I always thought along fences would be good because when they jump them it would jar the antlers loose right? nope, least not in my experience. they can be anywhere. I have noticed I find big sets in a on a high point or ridge. not with enough consistency to seek those spots first here where I live now, but in other areas, yeah. I'm really thinking of training my dog to hunt for sheds, I guess it's pretty easy.
Posted By: roundoak Re: SHEDS - 02/15/14
Several years ago I invited a fanatical shed hunter to speak at my hunter education class and he said the greatest probability of discovery were he hunts sheds in the drifless area of Wisconsin were ranked as follows:

1) A bucks winter bedding area. (He explained it was generally different terrain than warm weather bedding area with wind being the deciding factor.) In addition, he has witnessed deer standing up from their bed and shake their body like a dog,

2) Runways through thickets.

3) Fencelines.

My personal experience is I am most likely to find a shed in #2. Here in the hilly farm country the woodlots are becoming infested with Multi-flora rose bushes. That is some nasty stuff. I have found at least a dozen sheds hanging in those bushes.
Posted By: antlerfool Re: SHEDS - 02/16/14
I would love to get out but here in Pennsylvania we are buried in snow with more coming. Maybe by mid March if the weather changes, they are predicting a warm up later this upcoming week.
Posted By: rost495 Re: SHEDS - 02/17/14
We don't have a winter bedding area. Hell we don't have winter.

All the locals are bitching this year since we have had a bit of ice 3 times already... Whoopee...

But I digress, since our deer live the same areas year round, of course just follow deer trails, look in feeding areas and yes, we find quite a few around fence lines where they crawl or jump.

Some folks setup cattle panels around protein feeders to try to knock em loose.

One of the best places to find them is in the tire on teh tractor.. unfortunately its also one of the worst places to find them.

I've actually found more antlers in lower spots on our places than on higher spots. Dunno why though.
Posted By: MGunns Re: SHEDS - 02/18/14
Took a look again today, nothing here in eastern NC.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: SHEDS - 02/19/14
i saw bucks in late december that had already shed.also saw some in late january that hadn't shed. i guess lack of mass crop has them all screwed up. i'm guessing that with no food the tree rats were following the deer around waiting for them to drop.i bet most are chewed up by now.this 20in of snow may save a few.
Posted By: bwinters Re: SHEDS - 02/19/14
Found these on Monday. First time I've ever found a matched pair. These were literally laying together - right by one of his scrapes and a rub line from this past year. I didn't hunt that area last year, looks like I should have.............

Note the blood on the burr. We had rain/snow over the weekend so guessing he dropped Sunday or Monday AM.

I found a single side as big as these last week. There's a few big ones made it through the season.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: whambasted Re: SHEDS - 02/20/14
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

www.wyominglostandfound.com
Posted By: tzone Re: SHEDS - 02/21/14
NICE!
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: SHEDS - 02/21/14
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Actually saw this antler fall off of the buck's head. The other side was already off. Big, heavy three point.
Posted By: Cinch Re: SHEDS - 02/21/14
Very nice, Pat. Go find the other one, then send them to me...
Posted By: Oldslowdog Re: SHEDS - 02/21/14

Cool Antler Pat!

Good mass with a wicked curve. I've never seen one like that.

Is it a 3/4 year old or a freak older deer?
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: SHEDS - 02/21/14
One Good moose shed and a few deer

Elk will start in a few weeks

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MGunns Re: SHEDS - 02/21/14
Wow! Amazing sheds!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: SHEDS - 02/21/14
Found a small one this weekend but also watched a pair of good bucks trailing a group of does. Tongues hanging out and not a care in the world.
Posted By: Jaguar Re: SHEDS - 02/21/14
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A week or so ago, I saw the neighbor�s dog (we are pack members too) go past the window with an antler in her mouth just after I had stepped into the house. I recognized that antler. I grabbed a cheese stick and went hustling out to make a trade! Naturally I dropped what I was doing to hunt for the match. After a futile search along the river, I found it at a fence crossing behind our own house. These are nice and heavy. Several bucks have shed in the last week. I see a spike x fork with the spike missing right now.
Posted By: whambasted Re: SHEDS - 02/27/14

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

wyominglostandfound.com
Posted By: whambasted Re: SHEDS - 03/21/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cinch Re: SHEDS - 03/21/14
So far so good. I'll have a bunch more once it dries up enough to get out and about.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoshK Re: SHEDS - 03/22/14
I found two a couple weeks ago..only one was fresh.

Josh
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: SHEDS - 03/23/14
Just saw 3 small bucks behind the house still carrying antlers. Spike with one side only, 2 small 6s with both sides. Odd year, nearly to april and they still haven't shed.
Posted By: rost495 Re: SHEDS - 03/23/14
Finally saw a buck without antlers a week ago here. Thought it looked strange for a doe as it crossed the road one morning. Then saw the white spots on the head.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: SHEDS - 03/26/14
Too much snow in this neck of the woods.... still nearly knee deep and more on the way. Been out looking anyway...
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: SHEDS - 03/27/14
found a couple while mowing last week, usually I see more than that doing spring work, especially mowing.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: SHEDS - 03/27/14
All from NW/PA this year

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: whambasted Re: SHEDS - 03/29/14
[Linked Image]

Posted By: ihookem Re: SHEDS - 04/12/14
Dude, I would freeze to death in that tent.
Posted By: MGunns Re: SHEDS - 04/13/14
Originally Posted by Fullfan
All from NW/PA this year

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Darn nice sheds!
Posted By: rost495 Re: SHEDS - 04/15/14
Originally Posted by ihookem
Dude, I would freeze to death in that tent.

Did you notice the pipe.....
Posted By: LoneWati Re: SHEDS - 04/16/14
They seem to be doing well here! Was going to go to a friends place, but someone uninvited beat me there. They took there keys.LOL Found out when they showed up at the house looking for their keys, they knew them. They just did not call or ask to come out. They had probably 15 muley horns with them. I told him go out on the pony and see if you can spot some more and I will come up. Plus, I get first dibbs next year behind family off course. Old college buddy and I make him lamps and stuff out of the horn. I say horn knowing they are antlers, just too old to change my vocab.....or ways I guess!!! Maybe some whitetails this week or next. I always do well there. Just coming off 2 level fusion, so I do not get around well. May be another on the Ranger horn hunt. On private!!! Just so I don't get yelled at!!
Posted By: whambasted Re: SHEDS - 04/22/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: whambasted Re: SHEDS - 04/29/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: SHEDS - 05/15/14
[Linked Image]

Seven scorable points, with really good mass.....only found one.

75". Been on the ground a year.
Posted By: eh76 Re: SHEDS - 05/15/14
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Wow!
Posted By: huntsonora Re: SHEDS - 05/15/14
[Linked Image]

What a buck!
Posted By: huntsonora Re: SHEDS - 05/15/14
[Linked Image]

From a few years back
Posted By: SKane Re: SHEDS - 05/15/14
[Linked Image]

Oh my goodness.
Posted By: Tanner Re: SHEDS - 05/15/14
I don't shed hunt much but it's always cool to find one. Some awesome ones posted above, wow!

[Linked Image]

Found one of my Dad's "sheds", too!

[Linked Image]

Tanner
Posted By: T_Inman Re: SHEDS - 05/16/14
I'm not much of a shed hunter either, but have found several over the years. Elk, mulies, whitetail and moose. I get bored and start looking for bunnies to shoot.

I did come across this scene a few years ago. Too bad they were a couple years old.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: SHEDS - 05/16/14
Use my old antlers and sheds

[Linked Image]

And this stuff
[Linked Image]

To make these

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: SHEDS - 05/16/14
I only found about 30 this year, I usually find a lot of em. usually nothing too big, some impressive pics!
found one in a field I disked yesterday
Posted By: eyeball Re: SHEDS - 05/16/14
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[Linked Image]

From a few years back

Drum, where was that from?
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: SHEDS - 05/19/14
Trud found these not long ago, she also found this bulls sheds from last year. 356" gross.
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire