Home
Posted By: RugerM77270 Insulation Comparison - 07/29/14
I am in the market for some new hunting bibs. I hunt in South Alabama mostly so I don't need any high dollar ultra hi tech gear but I do want to stay warm on the couple of cold days we do have each year. I have used the same pair of bibs for 12 years and have no idea what insulation is in them, but they have been perfect until the teeth broke off the zipper last day of season last year.

Right now Cabela's has a sale and $.01 shipping and I can get some bibs at a great price but they list the ones I want as having 4 oz of polyester insulation. Most other bibs are listed at 100 grams Thinsulate.

How would these bibs compare with polyester insulation to bibs with Thinsulate?

Posted By: lastround Re: Insulation Comparison - 07/29/14
Polyester is not as warm as Thinsulate, but you may not need it in your area. I have worn 200 gram Thinsulate over a T-shirt, and flannel shirt for 15 or so years here in Ky. and have never needed more. Easy to add a layer if needed. Add GoreTex and you are waterproof and wind resistant.
Posted By: pointer Re: Insulation Comparison - 07/29/14
Though I'm not sure it's universal, most poly insulated garments are bulkier than higher tech (such as Thinsulate) insulations. Assuming the same 'warmth' I'd pick the less bulky garment.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Insulation Comparison - 07/29/14
if your current bibs are still in decent shape I would bring them in and have a new zipper sewn in.

where I hunt it gets COLD so I use wool bibs, spendy but oh so worth it
© 24hourcampfire