Home
Primaloft vs Thinsulate or wool for insulated hunting clothes, pants, gloves, vests etc.

Pros and Cons
I have several pieces of primaloft and like them. Very warm for the weight. I like wool as well but have pretty much moved to the synthetics for light weight and layering flexibility. I still use wool base layers.
Primaloft is great for light weight warmth, and love the lighter garments for layering. I put it under rain gear on chilly,wet days; under wool when the wind blows(wind blocker),and as an additional layer under real cold conditions.

Packs small in a tiny stuff sack,so goes everywhere during early/late fishing seasons and always packed for hunts here and out west. One light zip jacket stays in the truck all winter.
I can't speak on Thinsulate, but the Primaloft is a go to for me. I use merino wool for my base layer. I am also experimenting with the new h2o proof goose down. The Primaloft does dry MUCH quicker than down or wool and keeps you warm when wet.
I have embraced Thinsulate for several years. Primaloft is better and both replaced most of my wool garments except for my base layer.

My first experience with Primaloft layering was a Lands End jacket, then a North Face jacket. I liked the waist draw string on the Lands End jacket but not the elastic wrist cuff. The North Face does not have a waist draw string and it has an elastic wrist cuff.

I abandoned those jackets when Cabela's came out out with the PASSAGE jacket. Features I like are camo, two outside zippered slit chest pockets, two outside zippered deep slit waist pockets and a inside zippered slit pocket and adjustable wrist cuffs.

Primaloft offers a lot of flexibility in layering, especially when a good windproof and waterproof parka is the top layer.

A bud uses two of the PASSAGE jackets, plus a parka for layering for the elements while duck and goose hunting and coyote hunting.
double post, deleted
I like primaloft much better than the old thinsulate. It is basically a synthetic goose down without the downsides to down
Originally Posted by roundoak
I have embraced Thinsulate for several years. Primaloft is better and both replaced most of my wool garments except for my base layer.

My first experience with Primaloft layering was a Lands End jacket, then a North Face jacket. I liked the waist draw string on the Lands End jacket but not the elastic wrist cuff. The North Face does not have a waist draw string and it has an elastic wrist cuff.

I abandoned those jackets when Cabela's came out out with the PASSAGE jacket. Features I like are camo, two outside zippered slit chest pockets, two outside zippered deep slit waist pockets and a inside zippered slit pocket and adjustable wrist cuffs.

Primaloft offers a lot of flexibility in layering, especially when a good windproof and waterproof parka is the top layer.

A bud uses two of the PASSAGE jackets, plus a parka for layering for the elements while duck and goose hunting and coyote hunting.

Still on sale too.

Cabelas PrimaLoft Jacket
© 24hourcampfire