Home
Who plans on using the 270 Win this season for deer?
Pick me. Use my trusty Husky with 140gr boolits every year on these big northern Sask deer. And it works great.
I will take my 1952 Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle when I hunt clear cuts down in the Ocala NF.
Most of my hunting is in very heavy cover, but there are some spots where a long shot is possible.
I'll be using it sometime during the season. Need to switch ammo though. 130gr Super-X did way too much damage for my liking.
Colt Light Rifle in 270. Remington 130gr. PSP. I'd be hard pressed to use anything else for Missouri whitetail.
I will be tag-teaming my .270 built on a commercial Mauser action with the .257 AI built on a Mexican Mauser action. The Mex is lighter, but the .270 is prettier. They both kill deer, though...
Me too. May be heading to efw's camp in Michigan with my remington 783.
My Ruger tanger will see the woods this year.

Dale
With any luck I'll be knocking down three deer in the next few weeks with a Ruger M77 mk2.
I have carried my 700 with a custom barrel several days already, but when the shot came, I had my old .300... I may use it on a whitetail hunt later on, but the .25-06 is edging it out..
I've hunted with a 270 exactly one time in my life. It was last season and I dropped a doe at 250yds. May take it back out this year to see if it's a "lucky" rifle.

Browning White Gold Medallion purchased here on the 'fire. Sightron SII Big Sky up top.
[Linked Image]
Remington 700 BDL mountain rifles.

I sold the 270 Win. I had this year.

It was a nice gun, Rem 700 CDL SF in a Micky Edge. It shot real well too.

I never used it, so I sold it to a young fella.
Already did. 2 shots, 2 bucks. FN M70FWT.
My old model 70 loaded with 130 TTSX's [Linked Image]
One of my all time favorite pics and a great rifle to boot! I have a '49 standard weight. LOP has been shortened, so I added a slip-on pad. I need to find a replacement stock...
Originally Posted by handwerk
My old model 70 loaded with 130 TTSX's
[Linked Image]
Count me in...been using the 270 for over 20 years. I'll take the scoped xtr afield as the p64 is the queen, keeping my grandfathers 99 company.

[Linked Image]
I will. Mod70FW, Tikka T3 Lite or Ruger M77.

Model 70 FW on nice days:
[Linked Image]

This T3 Lite in a B&C Medalists on bad weather days:
[Linked Image]

The M77 will get mixed in on occasion. All are very good to excellent shooters.

Mine will go elk hunting next week. It was my only deer rifle for 30 some years so these days other rifles get a chance to go deer hunting.
700 bdl loaded with 150 gr. speer bullets.
I'm in
Well I currently don't own a 270, but I will be hunting with a 7mm RM @ Hornaday American White Tail Ammo, 139 gr SP basically a 270 with slightly heavier 139 gr bullet. Not much difference between the two cartridges.
will be using mine - remington 700. gonna try the hornady american whitetail ammo
Gonna try one with 110 gr TTSXs this year.
its deer season just what else would i use. this will be my 44th season shooting a 270.over 400 animals have fallin to the hornady 140gn bullets.
I plan to take two guns out with me this year. A 270 Win and a 270 WSM. I will be hunting in Northern South Dakota in November. The 270 Win is loaded with H4831. As the weather could be cold it will probably get the not.
I'm using a .270win for the first time this eason. M70 in McM edge stock.
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I've hunted with a 270 exactly one time in my life. It was last season and I dropped a doe at 250yds. May take it back out this year to see if it's a "lucky" rifle.

Browning White Gold Medallion purchased here on the 'fire. Sightron SII Big Sky up top.
[Linked Image]

That is "Pimpoliciuos".
I'm in as always. Featherweight in a McMillan cerakoted graphite black shooting 130 partitions.... it works!

[Linked Image]

Nice black gun!
My Winchester Model 70 in 270 . I will be using the Nosler 130 gr BT and IMR 4350.

[Linked Image]
Ruger #1, just found what it likes yesterday. 130 gamekings with imr 4064
Tikka T3 Lite SS LH with 130gr Sierra Gameking's & H4831. Above 2950fps my rifle seems to flatten and crater primers. It is my go to rifle for mule deer. Never felt I needed that extra 100 fps, the rifle is shooting 1/2 moa as is.

I have a pre-64 model 70 that will sit this season out, but I've killed several deer with it, it's preferred load is a 130gr. bullet over IMR 4831. Scary accurate. All the deer I've killed with it have been neck shots, which I rarely take.
here here....

Weatherby Vanguard set in a b&c ultralight stock- the one weatherby puts on their mlv ultralightweight. Shooting 130 partition factory loads

[Linked Image]
Oddly enough, in 40 years of hunting, I have never killed an animal with a .270, or a 30-06. Neither round ever interested me.
I intend to remedy that this year, with pre-64 model 70's in both chamberings.
Yup, I will....my fav. Ruger M77, Winchester Supreme Accubond, 140gr. Leaving on October 27th.
If I get a chance to hunt one area later in the season I'll use mine with 110 TTSX's. The first week, one of my lever guns.
I have only had a .270 a few years, but I think it's killed 8 deer with that many shots. I have a new 700 in .243 that might get used though. I really like the .270. It is set up perfect and just kills deer.
My boys and I all carry 270s.
One son has a Savage 116 with a Classis Walnut stock.
Another has a Tikka T3 in wood.
I carry a 700 mt rifle. I also picked up a 700 CDL SF in 270 that might go out if the weather is not too nasty.

We use either Hornady American Whitetail or Federal Fusion 130 grain; whichever is available. Both give us 1.25" or better in all three.
Absolutely will be hunting with my .270
I'll be hunting with my 270 short (aka 7mm-08) again this year. Put a new barrel on my 721 (in 270 of course). Shot it a few times, and now its stripped waiting for duracoat. Got unexpectedly busy recently, and won't be able to get it finished in time. Really wanted to take the new 270 setup out hunting, but at least I know the 7-08 can do the job...just about as well. Maybe I'll be able to get a depredation elk tag and use it in a few months.
I said I'd be using my Colt 270, but now that I think about it, I may have to arm wrestle my grandson for it.
[Linked Image]
Count me and my son in, I picked up a new Kimber 84L 270 with a Swaro 3-10x42 on top and bought my son a stainless Ruger 77 with a boat paddle stock and mounted a Leupold 6x42 on his.
A 270 or 2 always makes it into my rotation. Plan on starting out with my 700 TI loaded with 140 Remington core-lock ultra handload and my 270 Pre64 FW with 130 Barnes Vortex 130 TTSX factory ammmo. If hunting with my boys (who are young) will carry the TI since I'm generally carrying lots of other stuff, when by myself will carry the M70. Also have my Kimber 84L 270 loaded with Hornady Lite 120 SST that I have set up for wife which may see some time in my hands this year.

Lou
Just took a buck Sunday with my stainless Boat Paddle Ruger with a Leupold 3x9. Neck shot at 200 yards�Didn't take another step.
I used a 270 for 30 years and killed a very large pile of deer and elk with it. Then maybe 10 or 12 years ago, I got a wild hair and traded it for a 300 WSM. I've killed quite a few elk and deer both with that one, too, but I can't say I've killed anything with it that I couldn't have got almost as easily with the 270.
This year I will be using a rem 700 in 270 and a 7mm Ruger M77 mark II also may throw in a Tika in 30.06 If my youngest son don't call Dibs on it.
I'm going back to my roots this year. Although this .270 isn't my original.

[Linked Image]
I used my Model 700 CDL earlier this month on a mulie. 4 deer and one cow elk have all dropped in place. However, it is the first and last time I will be using 130 grain Accubombs.
Browning A-Bolt II using 150 grain Partitions. Bad medicine for deer.
Originally Posted by handwerk
My old model 70 loaded with 130 TTSX's [Linked Image]

Very cool pic!
After 25 years with my trusty 30-06, I'll be hunting this fall with a Model 70 that was manufactured in either 1949 or 1950. It belonged to a friend who passed last year, and his estate sold it to me for a song after I helped catalog his firearms collection for the estate sale.

He was a fine man, this is a fine rifle, and I'm happy to carry it in his memory.
© 24hourcampfire