Home
A shameless double post.

Right on the heels of a not so successful Colorado elk hunt came a MN whitetail youth hunt for chickenbuck Joe. (Our youngest boy)

Joey (AKA "Plays With Matches") Had practiced with my ruger standard M77 in 220 swift. The standard M77 is a bit long for the boy, but he proved his skills with the rifle from the bench so we went with it. I wanted low recoil for the 60 lb hunter, .22 centerfire is legal in MN and the swift was crying for attention, topped with Burris FFII 3-9 40mm Bplex.

Joe's first hunting license.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

View to the south from the stand.

[Linked Image]

First day was a bust.

But on the second day he hunted with a better guide....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

10 yr old Joey was in a 2 person, enclosed, elevated stand with his mom (mom's stand actually) while dad walked a big loop trying to stir something their way. I should note that my wife Pam is the only person in our group that has NOT shot or even seen a deer from this stand. (her stand) lmao!

I'm so glad Pam got this experience, to sit with her son when he got his first deer. I've done it with the older boy, and I was first on the scene when the daughter got her first as well. So, it was Pam's turn to experience the excitement.

[Linked Image]

So proud of them both.

(camera in a tree branch, self timer, lol)

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/joey4_zps6a490567.jpg[/img]

Dry doe, shot straight through the winzerspynzel. (that's the area what breathes wind and also has spine parts)

220 Swift, Straight down like a ton of bricks.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/joey_zps8cc363af.jpg[/img]

Well, since he is only 10 yrs old I agreed to do the field work for the young man, but he had to help and he had to pay attention. He also had to shake my hand when I was done, and give a slimy high five.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/joey5_zps4706f44c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/northerndave004/joey8_zpsd5f5b272.jpg[/img]

Sweet!

And a stunt shooter is born! laugh
Awesome
Great story! That's a time none of you will ever forget.
Oh lordy she was heavy, I couldn't have hauled her out of the woods without Joe towing the line.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guess I'm cutting deer today.

cool
Love it.

Congrats to the young man.
sorry I had to fix the post.... I tried to cram too many photos in one post (as usual)

You can make out the elevated shooting shack in the background of the hand shake and high five photos.
Lotsa people here say it, and it absolutely gets worn out on the TV hunting shows, but......

It truly doesn't get any better than that!
Enjoyed reading and seeing it again!! Congrats to the three of you....
Congratulations to the young man and to you and your Mrs.

Been a heckuva year for the Campfire's yutes.
I found a picture of Joey from 7 yrs ago when we were building the deer hunting cabin.

[Linked Image]

Little guy has been waiting a while for his turn, lol!

He's finally got his name on the "wall of fame" out at camp.

His smile says it all.
Every hunter knows, you have to sit very still while hunting.

Joey is like the Lincoln memorial, man of stone, completely motionless.

My god does he look like his brother! Especially in that video.
Most excellent
Dave;
That is just too cool sir! Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful photos and story with us.

I can just imagine how stoked your wife was being able to be there with him. cool

Please pass along congratulations to your son on the tasty looking doe. She looks like she's going to provide many wonderful meals for your crew.

I'll send you my customary tip of the hat too Dave, as we all are aware these family moments/hunts don't happen without a lot of work and time spent at either end. Well done sir.

Thanks again Dave, all the best to you and your fine family and good luck on all your remaining hunts too.

Dwayne
Way to go Joey!
Thanks everybody. Deer is skun, quartered, meat is up by the house.

Here's an entrance shot, not too surprised at the surface carnage, little rapid expansion bullet. But hey, she's dead and she died fast, no tracking job on this one.

[Linked Image]

Not much got inside, couple broke ribs and small holes where some bullet frag got inside and souped the lungs. (thanks god)

[Linked Image]

Time for dad to have one of these and get out the butchering knives and freezer paper.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by northern_dave
A shameless double post.

Right on the heels of a not so successful Colorado elk hunt came a MN whitetail youth hunt for chickenbuck Joe. (Our youngest boy)

Joey (AKA "Plays With Matches") Had practiced with my ruger standard M77 in 220 swift. The standard M77 is a bit long for the boy, but he proved his skills with the rifle from the bench so we went with it. I wanted low recoil for the 60 lb hunter, .22 centerfire is legal in MN and the swift was crying for attention, topped with Burris FFII 3-9 40mm Bplex.

Joe's first hunting license.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

View to the south from the stand.

[Linked Image]

First day was a bust.

But on the second day he hunted with a better guide....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

10 yr old Joey was in a 2 person, enclosed, elevated stand with his mom (mom's stand actually) while dad walked a big loop trying to stir something their way. I should note that my wife Pam is the only person in our group that has NOT shot or even seen a deer from this stand. (her stand) lmao!

I'm so glad Pam got this experience, to sit with her son when he got his first deer. I've done it with the older boy, and I was first on the scene when the daughter got her first as well. So, it was Pam's turn to experience the excitement.

[Linked Image]

So proud of them both.

(camera in a tree branch, self timer, lol)

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/joey4_zps6a490567.jpg[/img]

Dry doe, shot straight through the winzerspynzel. (that's the area what breathes wind and also has spine parts)

220 Swift, Straight down like a ton of bricks.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/joey_zps8cc363af.jpg[/img]

Well, since he is only 10 yrs old I agreed to do the field work for the young man, but he had to help and he had to pay attention. He also had to shake my hand when I was done, and give a slimy high five.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/joey5_zps4706f44c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/northerndave004/joey8_zpsd5f5b272.jpg[/img]

Right on, my grandsons are 7& 8 and can't wait. Pretty awesome dudesbeurg
Great post!! Congrats to the 3 of ya!!
Awesome post, congrats to PWM!!!

My kid is still like that at 17. You have to be able to read a sundial to see him move.
A carnivor is born.

Having a tenderloin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Awesome dude! Really cool his mom was there with him.

BTW, love the beer can.
thats awesome! i just love the silly grin, its priceless, and wont come off for weeks!
Way to go Joe!
Looks like fun

Bet he's pumped.
Great stuff! congrats!. What bullet in the Swift?
50 gr win pointed soft point. PSP

shocked

Hey, it worked.

grin
Good story, thanks for sharing,

Dale
Originally Posted by muzzleblast
thats awesome! i just love the silly grin, its priceless, and wont come off for weeks!

If you've ever met plays with matches, you'd know the smile rarely leaves his face... Unless runs with scissors is bugging the crap out of him. grin
CONGRADS to the Lad! job well done!
Great hunting memories, right there.
Very nice.
Excellent!!

Mike
Congrats ! That memory will still be one of your son's favorites when he's an old man. I still remember my first deer like it was yesterday! Bet he's on cloud nine!
And he's a very lucky young man to have such great parents, too.
A LOT of little ole TX Whitetails have been dropped in their tracks with a .220
Swift. Not too mention quite a few Speed Goats! And countless coyotes, too.
Still one of my Favorite Calibers.
Congratulations
Great job all around Shaw clan smile

My 8 year old son has the same ability to freeze and remain stock-still for multiple seconds at a time. He actually scared off the buck he ended up shooting by hanging out of the front window of the stand we were in and flopping around. crazy
My boy Jack is the same way at times. Though, last deer season he was great! When he starts to get antsy, I give him the grunt and the rattlin' horns.
Stupendous!! Pure gold memory made there, congrats to all of you! I got the experience my first Dad moment like that this year and am anxiously waiting for the second to grow up to do it all again.
Originally Posted by tzone
My boy Jack is the same way at times. Though, last deer season he was great! When he starts to get antsy, I give him the grunt and the rattlin' horns.

That's a good idea, Tom.

When Caleb started getting really antsy, I gave him the sharpie I keep in the blind and let him do some drawing on the walls. He thought drawing all over the walls was pretty cool-for about 3.5 minutes. grin
Dave & Pam,

Saw & replied on the "chicken Buck" thread, however, wanted to thank You & Pam for bringing your kids up the right way !

Great stuff, right there.

Love the tenderloin photos !

grin
Good job joey! thats awesome dave! glad for you and the whole family that you guys got the 1st one down for the little guy -coop
Congratulations! To Joey, Mom and Dad! Very cool.
My Mom was with me when I shot my first buck also, Dad was working graveyards at the time. It is a day neither her, or I will ever forget. Great shot by the young man!
That's pretty dang cool.
Knuckle-bump to plays-with-matches!
I love threads you just can't help smiling over. Congrats to the whole family.
There are few that I "know" that live a life as full as you do Dave. Just brilliant in all manner.
Outstanding Dave..

Congrats Plays with Matches...

Did that doe have any teeth left, had a pretty long face.?
Dave, did your son get the deer way up north by your cabin? If so , how is the deer herd looking. Pretty dismal in Northern Wis.
Yes, he got her from an enclosed stand a couple hundred yards behind the cabin.

I'm seeing what I think is an increase in overall deer traffic on our trails, in the woofs and crossing the tamarack swamp. No buck activity but its somewhat promising to see an increase in beds and tracks.

(Which would mean some, as opposed to none)
Just saw this a few minutes ago. Love those pics and the story behind em.

Thanks for the emotional smile it created for me to start a better day now.
Glad I saw this one. Congrats.
Congrats Joey!!
Way cool. Great story!
Awesome. Tell Him that there are lots of folks out here that are proud of Him. miles
The upper cervical Neuro cluster shot, eh?
My favorite as well.
Respiratory, circulatory and nervous systems all in one area. Love it.
Attaboys all around. Very nice!!
What a great story and a great kid. His smile is infectious. He'll cherish that memory for life. It's sad that more parents don't realize these are the kinds of things that develop character, make strong bonds and make good adults, out of kids. Congratulations to you Dave, and to Chickenbuck Joe. You got a keeper, for life.
Good deal! Congrats!
Good job.
© 24hourcampfire